forum

"Disable Hitsounds" to Make Inaudible Hitsounds Audible

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
JapanYoshiTheGamer
I find myself wanting to hear the hitsounds where the mapper, for one reason or another, set the hitsound volume really low or downright muted it. Right now, there's no way to listen for the hitsounds in those areas. If "Disable Hitsounds" disabled those ridiculously low volume settings, it would help me (and I assume a lot of others like me) a bunch.
Drezi
+1

It'd be best if we could set Hitsound minimum and hitsound maximum (0-100%), and anything above/below these thresholds would be adjusted to those values, so we don't have to outright remove all volume differences in the hitsounding, we could trim only the extremes we don't like instead.

And don't give me "that's the sacred intention of the mapper" when I can (thankfully) already use a full suite of my own hitsounds anyway. I sure as hell wouldn't want to force my volume preferences on anyone as a mapper.
Seijiro
t/407162/start=0&&hilit=Hitsounds+volume

Also, as said millions of times on other threads regarding "beatmap related changes": the mapper sets the volume of his/her hitsounds for a reason. Those choices get modded and if the community approves them the map will get ranked. There is no reason for the player to worry about such things at all (the mapper's role will also become a side role in such case, so no)

Start mapping (maybe seriously if possible) and you'll learn what hitsounds are for and why I said what I said
Topic Starter
JapanYoshiTheGamer

MrSergio wrote:

the mapper sets the volume of his/her hitsounds for a reason [...] Start mapping (maybe seriously if possible) and you'll learn what hitsounds are for and why I said what I said
I map as well, and I can safely declare that the only time you want the volume of hitsounds lower than 50% is to obscure the timing of the beats so that the players can't just "sound it out". Can you think of an actual rationalization or justification of making hitsounds impossible to hear?
Seijiro
Such cases won't pass the ranking process if they aren't appropriate, so my statement is still true.
Also, based on the hitsounds choices, using even 30% of volume is useful in some cases and it doesn't mask any wrong timing as you mentioned.

In general I just find it "wrong" for the player to take on the mapper's role.
If any player would be so capable of judging what a map should have or not then why do mappers even exist?

Edit: my link was there to show you that this thread is a duplicate btw, so use the pther thread instead
Drezi
yeah, except it's meaningless when I already skinned every hitsound to my liking, and the mapper might have chosen different volumes for different types of hitsounds, which doesn't translate well to my own hitsounds, or simply he thinks that I might like my hitsounds to be near inaudible at some parts for some reason, which is not the case... and no he doesn't know better what I want than I do.

and I don't want to replicate the music with my buttonpresses with a plethora of different hitsounds, since I can hear the original music just fine thank you very much, I'm tapping the rhythm only so I want to hear the timing of my presses, same feedback for the same input.
Seijiro
Mapping is subjective anyway. Stick with the mapper's point of view or create a map on your own.
As I said it's not like those things don't get checked before a map is ranked so any inappropriate usage will be pointed out and eventually fixed.

Also, keep in mind that your sentence could easily be said to you by a mapper with your same point of view: "why are your hitsounds better in any case?"
Drezi
because I'm the one playing with them, and that's my preference?

we can already skin pretty much everything, so defending hitsound volumes is like going back to the stone age with having to use the mappers' skins and hitsounds, play the map without background dim etc...

the main merit of the mapper is making maps people enjoy playing. (that is, with their own cosmetic settings.)
Topic Starter
JapanYoshiTheGamer

MrSergio wrote:

Such cases won't pass the ranking process if they aren't appropriate
Consider yourself disproven. (Play the Insane map)

If any player would be so capable of judging what a map should have or not then why do mappers even exist?
I don't know, to map a song? </sarcasm>