forum

[Web] Getting rid of the Post Subject. [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Gens
Eh, note that I said Post Subject and not Thread Subject.

I personally find it useless, and would avoid some confusion for newbies that edit it. The "Last Post" thing in the Board Index would just say the thread subject.
I also remember peppy once editing a post subject for a mod request, reverting it back to the thread title...

Or, maybe the post could still have the predefined Re: when showing, but you wouldn't be able to edit it. I don't know, it isn't that important anyway, but it would remove some clutter. Shouldn't be that hard, I guess?

I searched around and I didn't find anything similar. o/
peppy
I totally agree. Will see how easy this is to pull out of phpbb... (why on earth did they think this was a good idea in the first place?)
LuigiHann
It's useful sometimes, but I agree it's ugly and nonsensical most of the time
Derekku
Can be helpful sometimes (especially when I have multiple threads opened and forget which I'm looking at), but at least removing others' ability to edit it would be great.
peppy
I don't mind leaving the display of it; just removing editing functionality.
sp1ky
/styles/subsilver2/template/posting_body.html
line 176

<td class="row2" width="78%"><input <!-- IF not S_NEW_MESSAGE -->disabled="disabled"<!-- ENDIF --> class="post" style="width:450px" type="text" name="subject" size="45" maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->60<!-- ELSE -->64<!-- ENDIF -->" tabindex="2" value="{SUBJECT}" /></td>
RemmyX25
I laughed hard at Luigihann's post.
Claudia_old

peppy wrote:

I don't mind leaving the display of it; just removing editing functionality.
Support for this.
peppy

sp1ky wrote:

line 176

<td class="row2" width="78%"><input <!-- IF not S_NEW_MESSAGE -->disabled="disabled"<!-- ENDIF --> class="post" style="width:450px" type="text" name="subject" size="45" maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->60<!-- ELSE -->64<!-- ENDIF -->" tabindex="2" value="{SUBJECT}" /></td>
strager will jump all over that. just because he can.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

I don't visit this forum anymore; you should know that.

I only came here because I noticed the post's subject. Pretty ironic, huh?
sp1ky

peppy wrote:

sp1ky wrote:

line 176

Hmm? I realize it's a tiny modification that only affects what's seen client side, it would probably keep users from changing the subject 99% of the time. Obviously if you wanted to completely user-proof it modification to posting.php would also necessary (though from a quick scan of the code it doesn't seem like a simple mod)
Also:
peppy
I'd be removing it from the database, either way. Never ever ever change things client-side only. It's a recipe for disaster.
Shohei Ohtani
I concur~.
mm201

strager wrote:

I don't visit this forum anymore; you should know that.
Tell me: why the persistent butthurt?
peppy
All done.
xsrsbsns
I see blank topics in forum homepage (not even the thread subject itself).. Weird, is it meant to be like that?
peppy
Do you want to actually provide some context there?
xsrsbsns
I don't know, but I thought this..

Gens wrote:

The "Last Post" thing in the Board Index would just say the thread subject.
At least we know what thread it is in..

Edit: yes I saw that, thanks MM for providing context ._.
mm201
sp1ky

peppy wrote:

I'd be removing it from the database, either way. Never ever ever change things client-side only. It's a recipe for disaster.
The worst case disaster would be the slight confusion that currently occurs. Phpbb would still carry out all verification and user input filters as normal should a subject be posted
James2250

xsrsbsns wrote:

I see blank topics in forum homepage (not even the thread subject itself).. Weird, is it meant to be like that?
Was about to comment on those too
mm201
Also it's become impossible to edit a thread subject.
peppy
Both issues fixed.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Both issues fixed.
From now on? Or...

peppy
From now on, yup. *urge to rewrite forum engine increasing*
sp1ky
Don't blame ya, phpbb's code is ugly.
Client input is still stored in db and viewable from viewforum/non-viewtopic pages but that shouldn't be a problem :P
rust45
It's pretty nice to not see "Re:" everywhere now
Mara
More blank subjects incoming~

Zekira
...even this thread has been hit... lol... (before I replied to it anyway)

It seems like the last post display orzes when the last post reaches the 1 hour mark. oops, IDK
FurukawaPan
It seemed more of a nitpick to me to ask that post subjects be removed/disabled.

But now it looks like we've got a real forum problem.

If the phpBB code is sufficiently complicated that it's easier to just not fix this issue, I would suggest it's best to rollback this change and make do with post subjects for the time being.

Opinions? Concerns? Pie?
peppy
I suggest you sit back and wait. It only happens on beatmap forums and if you think this is worthy of a rollback, I'm glad you aren't in charge of the game ;).
Derekku
rollback *o*

Wait, why did you post both in here and the Help thread @Furukawa? :I
Zekira
I suggest you sit back and wait. It only happens on beatmap forums
FurukawaPan

Derekku wrote:

rollback *o*

Wait, why did you post both in here and the Help thread @Furukawa? :I
I actually posted there first. I was originally going to start a new thread, didn't even know at the time this issue had *anything* to do with this post subject change.

Then I posted here when I realized what the cause of the issue was.
rust45
I'm also seeing this affect on my kudos info page. The odd thing is, is that when I made the post that I received kudos on, it didn't glitch then.
peppy
I suggest you sit back and wait. ;).
Mara
I'm sitting on this lovely chair, drinking Coca-Cola, and waiting for further info.

Man, my life is awesome.
mm201
It's also become impossible to give titles to FAQ articles since they depend on post titles.
NatsumeRin
...but..this is a pain when checking kudoso page in profile.