forum

Whistle/Finishes in Taiko [answered] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Saturos
Just trying to think ahead a little for people looking forward to the completed Taiko mod and are planning to map some stuff specifically for it.

How about a way of choosing whether or not a whistle/finish plays the corresponding sound as it does now or just the regular hit sound. With this, mappers can take their osu! maps and spice them up a bit for Taiko without having to make a separate Taiko map and/or ruining the sound of an osu! map.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
I kind of like the way it's handled now, with whistles becoming blue and finishes becoming big.
peppy
I seriously think its fine as it is at the moment, and will if anything encourage the user of sound additions. In most of the cases, they actually sound good where you would place blue/large notes.

I don't want to segregate osu and taiko maps, but let them merge together into a nice equilibrium. If this becomes a problem, I will rethink this point, and possibly allow maps to be osu-original-only or taiko-mod-only.

Taiko mod now detects short sliders and does cool things like turns them into beats, so it should work even better now. (although this is not yet perfect).
Topic Starter
Saturos

peppy wrote:

I don't want to segregate osu and taiko maps, but let them merge together into a nice equilibrium. If this becomes a problem, I will rethink this point, and possibly allow maps to be osu-original-only or taiko-mod-only.
This is kinda why I posted this - to avoid segregating. There's tons of maps that are all just red spam in taiko simply because the mapper didn't want to use/didn't know about whistles/finishes. And then there's plenty of instances of songs that would just sound wrong with such sounds all over the place.

Being able to switch it up for Taiko without ruining the overall sound of the map in osu! would lessen the need for segregation while still making mappers actually use whistles/finishes, instead of ignoring them outright.
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

I kind of like the way it's handled now, with whistles becoming blue and finishes becoming big.
Lol, I didn't know that's the way it's done.

Saturos wrote:

There's tons of maps that are all just red spam in taiko simply because the mapper didn't want to use/didn't know about whistles/finishes.
Yup. I for example just hate the whistle sound and don't want to use it so I just use the basic one and the finish.
peppy
I dont know how this would work anyway. Mappers would have to choose PER BEAT whether they wanted the whistle to be a whistle or a "whistle"?

If we're going to go this far, I'd just make a separate editor and separate file format for taiko. This wasn't my aim in making the mod, though. If map makers don't use sound additions, their map shouldn't be ranked. If they do use them specifically for taiko authenticity or effect, then the map can be tagged as a taiko-specific map and not ranked for the time being (which may change in the future).
LuigiHann
If you want to use a whistle but not an actual whistle sound, then add a custom whistle sound.