forum

Taiko mode improvements

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
flyboy87
Hi there. It's been a while since I came. I have returned due to the implementation of the Taiko mode. I'm a HUGE fan of Taiko no Tatsujin and I would really want osu! to be leading simulator for Taiko.

I have seen mattyu007's preview of the upcoming Taiko mod here ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OVtPRrHH0&watch_response

I must say, that's the most impressive Taiko sim I've seen. Much better than Owata and Taikosuite.

As much as I like it, I would therefore like to suggest some improvements for this mod.

1) It needs Go-Go mode. (where the fire lights up around the circle) This makes the newer Taiko games much more interesting compared to the old Taiko ones.

2) In the newer Taiko versions, sakura flowers blossom when combos in multiples of 100 are hit. This is not important, but it can be a very nice add on. :)

Thank you for reading this post.
mattyu007

flyboy87 wrote:

I feel that notes need to further apart. I have compared Kare Kano Kanon using this mod and the original one. The original notes have more space apart.
uhhm, the speed of the notes is dependent on how fast the sliders of the map go (if i'm not wrong)
So it's not realy an improvement to the taiko mod, it's just how the mapper feels about slider velocity :P
Topic Starter
flyboy87
By golly, you're right!

Edited. :oops:
LuigiHann
Taiko mode is still in progress, so while your feedback is appeciated, chances are peppy already plans to recreate just about everything that happens in the real game. He's a maniac like that.

Although, the more specific information you can give us about weird things like "Go Go mode," the more accurately he may be able to implement them. We were trying to figure out what that fire means and what causes it to occur. If it just appears during the chorus of the song (our best theory) then it might be tricky to incorporate, since the standard beatmap format for Osu doesn't have any place for that, but sometimes Peppy surprises me with clever solutions to these issues, so we'll see.
Topic Starter
flyboy87
Okay, I shall make it clear what Go-Go mode is.

Please refer to my Saitama2000 video here ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OFKWIEgkY8

Did you notice the fire around the circle at the end of the video, it also when the red faced drum starts to wave its arms up and down?

That is the Go-Go mode. The score for each note goes up to 120% (ie: If it was 100 points per note, it goes up to 120 points) But this is not applicable to osu!

So what I'm suggesting is just an option where mappers can add starting and ending times for the Go-Go mode in a notechart. Something like the "Break time" in osu!, just that this one has fire lit up around the circle instead of the notes disappearing and stuff.

Thank you for reading!

If peppy recreates the mod to function exactly like the Taiko game, he'll get some $$$ from me. I'm a Taiko maniac, I love Taiko, it's my life. :D To be able to play any song I want on Taiko is like a dream come true. It's almost a reality now.
peppy
Nice to see you return to osu! (I watched quite a few of your videos recently as I got a bit addicted to taiko, and saw your comments on mattyu's video of my karekano authentic).

I will definitely be adding more features before Taiko mod is labelled "complete" - I have already rewritten the "slider"/drumroll code so extra-long drum rolls are catered for (they caused broken graphics before) and they also fade to red when getting hit faster.

I plan on adding flying taiko-beats to the score, and anything else that is currently missing. Combo flower graphics may be a possibility.

Go-go mode is something I've also been looking at adding. As you say - this does require an extra input from the mapper, but I do think this could even be a welcome introduction to osu! gameplay, not just taiko. I will have a look at the feasibility of adding it in.

And yeah - I did try owatatsujin and taikosuite, and after finding that both sucked decided to put more effort into the osu! taiko mod ASAP. Its nice to secure first place in both osu! and Taiko simulation on PC, and should help with the popularity of osu!.

I have said up until now that I don't want to hear feedback on Taiko mod until the public release is out, and will hold to that - because I have high expectations myself. So you best stick around this time :P
Topic Starter
flyboy87
I hereby worship you as God. *kneels up and down*

It means A LOT to me. It's like a dream come true. :)

I can now play Osu! using my Taiko controller, and I just revamped Caramelldansen to fit Taiko mode. I had a lot of fun banging to that song. :) :) :)

Thank you so, so, so much!
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
flyboy87
Uhh... I actually used MaxwellDemon's ranked beatmap and altered it to a Taiko-style map.And yes, I have the test build. And I won't post it to the beatmap thread. D: It's not relevant to EBA style gameplay.

I'm posting a video of my version of "Oni" Caramelldansen in my channel later so that people will know about osu!
Gemi

peppy wrote:

And yeah - I did try owatatsujin and taikosuite, and after finding that both sucked decided to put more effort into the osu! taiko mod ASAP. Its nice to secure first place in both osu! and Taiko simulation on PC, and should help with the popularity of osu!.
Moving Taiko from regular game play mods to the play style selection would be a good idea?
peppy

Gemi wrote:

peppy wrote:

Moving Taiko from regular game play mods to the play style selection would be a good idea?
I'm not sure how to handle this really. It needs both multiplayer and single player support, so for now leaving it as a mod makes the most sense. And to be honest - I still want to keep "ouendan" mode as the primary play mode. I do think there should be a fast way to toggle it on/off at song select - maybe just a handy shortcut key will do.
Gemi

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

peppy wrote:

I'm not sure how to handle this really. It needs both multiplayer and single player support, so for now leaving it as a mod makes the most sense. And to be honest - I still want to keep "ouendan" mode as the primary play mode. I do think there should be a fast way to toggle it on/off at song select - maybe just a handy shortcut key will do.
Forgot about multiplayer. I agree with keeping it as a mod for now, but maybe later have "solo", "taiko" and "multiplayer" in game mode and then have a easy switch in the multiplayer. This would hilight taiko more as a real game mode and not just a small funny mod, amking it more worthwihile to invest time developing it.
LuigiHann
I do agree. The more I think about Taiko mode, the more I'm surprised at how elaborate it is, and especially if we get people making Taiko-specific maps, it starts to become more and more like its own game. So I think adding it to the main menu (but not until it's 100% done) would be cool.
awp
On the same train of thought as LH. I'm actually thinking of making my second Taiko-specific map - it really is its own thing.
Vic

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

peppy wrote:

Hmmm... What about stuff going shiny and each note is worth 1.2x? Also some text below the HP bar like "GO-GO MODE ACTIVATED"... Simple as hell, but effective.
peppy

Vic wrote:

Hmmm... What about stuff going shiny and each note is worth 1.2x? Also some text below the HP bar like "GO-GO MODE ACTIVATED"... Simple as hell, but effective.
You totally missed the point.

Topic Starter
flyboy87
Wow, the notes now fly to the HP bar, nice!

Thank you for your hard work, peppy.

I hope you'll add the Go-Go mode soon... :D

Take your time. :D
aquabluu

mattyu007 wrote:

flyboy87 wrote:

I feel that notes need to further apart. I have compared Kare Kano Kanon using this mod and the original one. The original notes have more space apart.
uhhm, the speed of the notes is dependent on how fast the sliders of the map go (if i'm not wrong)
So it's not realy an improvement to the taiko mod, it's just how the mapper feels about slider velocity :P
No wonder the notes are all so closely packed :?
Thanks for the heads-up
peppy
I might change the taiko velocity multiplier to make this work a bit better.
aquabluu
peppy, do you think you can add a counter to show how many times you hit the drum during drumrolls?
Topic Starter
flyboy87
I'm reviving this, RAWRRR!!

Go-go mode, please? :D It's a necessitiy for Taiko plays. It feels like playing the old Taiko interface without Go-Go mode. :(

Here are some reasons I propose Go-Go mode is feasible in Osu!. I'm not just thinking about Taiko, but Osu! in general

1) Obviously, it feels better to have Go-Go mode when playing Taiko. :P
2) In a normal Osu! gameplay, we can have the notes flare up to signify Go-Go mode, it's like a marriage between TNT and OTO/EBA. I think it would not affect the normal gameplay at all - and moreover, it looks good to score additional points and it adds up the "fire factor" in Ouendan.
3) I think sliders burning with fire/or have the ball flare up look cool in Osu! during Go-Go time. Of course, this won't apply to Taiko. But it really looks cool in normal Osu! gameplay.
4) It attracts Taiko players and mappers!
5) I could not think of any other reasons besides the ones I stated above, but please do give it some thought. :)

Thanks
mattyu007
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
flyboy87
Lol, mattyu007, you're so right. :)

Also, I would like to reinstate why Go-Go mode will attract more Taiko players:

Owatatatsujin and Taikosuite (other Taiko sims) have Go-Go mode - but the hit circle just turns into a yellow colour during Go-Go. If the hit circle in Osu!'s Go-Go time were to flare up (just like in the game), it will give a more Taiko like experience. Therefore, players will turn to Osu! for a more Taiko-like experience. (and maybe play traditional Osu! maps as well, therefore adding more people to your player base)
jonathan_old
mattyu007

jonathan wrote:

also, etna sliders can become balloon notes, and can peppy add an icon that scrolls up as a note for the denden (spinner)?
etna sliders =/= ballons or anything similar, I would actually like spinners to be balloon notes and have maybe clap spinners or finish spinners as denden notes, since balloons are used more commonly in taiko no tatsujin...

And yeah, a drum jumping up with a spinny thing and/or a balloon would be nice ^^
Topic Starter
flyboy87

mattyu007 wrote:

jonathan wrote:

also, etna sliders can become balloon notes, and can peppy add an icon that scrolls up as a note for the denden (spinner)?
etna sliders =/= ballons or anything similar, I would actually like spinners to be balloon notes and have maybe clap spinners or finish spinners as denden notes, since balloons are used more commonly in taiko no tatsujin...

And yeah, a drum jumping up with a spinny thing and/or a balloon would be nice ^^
About the drum jumping up... we need to achieve a deflaut storyboard first. :(
crystalsuicune

flyboy87 wrote:

Lol, mattyu007, you're so right. :)

Also, I would like to reinstate why Go-Go mode will attract more Taiko players:

Owatatatsujin and Taikosuite (other Taiko sims) have Go-Go mode - but the hit circle just turns into a yellow colour during Go-Go. If the hit circle in Osu!'s Go-Go time were to flare up (just like in the game), it will give a more Taiko like experience. Therefore, players will turn to Osu! for a more Taiko-like experience. (and maybe play traditional Osu! maps as well, therefore adding more people to your player base)
Hell yes,Go-go-mode FTW!The whole flame-note thing goes well
with Ouendan,and it -might- help with racking up points if you're
quite er..lagging behind.Yeah.
Even better:Throw in Wadadon.
An64fan
2) In a normal Osu! gameplay, we can have the notes flare up to signify Go-Go mode, it's like a marriage between TNT and OTO/EBA. I think it would not affect the normal gameplay at all - and moreover, it looks good to score additional points and it adds up the "fire factor" in Ouendan.
3) I think sliders burning with fire/or have the ball flare up look cool in Osu! during Go-Go time. Of course, this won't apply to Taiko. But it really looks cool in normal Osu! gameplay.
As long as that extra firepower is adjustable and toggle-able in Options, I approve.

I do, indeed, like the idea of Go-Go mode, though. Would give osu! something to set it apart even more as something apart and above Ouendan and EBA.
jonathan_old
No Ouendan Ki bar, instead we judge on percentage.
mattyu007

jonathan wrote:

No Ouendan Ki bar, instead we judge on percentage.
That's already implemented in test build :) <3