forum

Better Cursor trail

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ShadowSWilliam

(Image taken from https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/185321 )

This is an old issue. The cursor on the right is how my cursor looks most of the time, but sometimes it looks like the cursor on the left, it's much denser and in my opinion looks much better. It mostly appears when I'm in the main menu.(Sometimes it even stays like that in the song selection screen.)
Anyone knows what causes this? I want to get the cursor on the left all the time.

I'm reposting this issue since people on the thread I mentioned below the image just went with the idea that cursormiddle makes the cursor look like the one on the left. No, cursormiddle changes the whole behaviour of the cursor trail. One person even said it was the canvas. It is not cursormiddle nor the canvas that cause this. Both of those cursors use the same cursortrail image, without the cursormiddle file in the skin.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
FieryLight
Unlimited frames during gameplay? (Hit F7)
Topic Starter
ShadowSWilliam

FieryLight wrote:

Unlimited frames during gameplay? (Hit F7)
Already playing like that. Sadly, makes no difference. :/
OsuMe65
Why even cry over that?
Both of the guys you ask, who you think are wrong, are correct, because it's 2016.

Having a blank cursormiddle will cause the effect that you want. Without it will cause otherwise.
That was implemented a year ago.
Topic Starter
ShadowSWilliam

OsuMe65 wrote:

Why even cry over that?
Both of the guys you ask, who you think are wrong, are correct, because it's 2016.

Having a blank cursormiddle will cause the effect that you want. Without it will cause otherwise.
That was implemented a year ago.
I saw it with my own eyes using my own skin. I had no cursormiddle file. Yet the cursor trail was the better one.
Noobsicle
for me, it only happens when i tab back in the game after a while, and it doesn't stay for very long. might be something to do with overloaded cursortrail renders/pre-rendering overload while tabbed out of game i don't even know lol

it's not the same as having a blank cursormiddle; it's a lot smoother and renders a lot more of the cursortrail, which results in the trail being longer and denser. slapping a blank cursormiddle in the skin won't achieve the same behaviour as you can see here

there's no way to get the cursortrail to behave like that permanently, however you could try using a blank cursormiddle along with a tiny cursortrail and cursor
so it'll look like this:
except you will use photoshop/gimp to resize the cursor to the same dimensions as the cursortrail (you'll have to do some trial and error to get the cursor + trail to match in size, remember ctrl+shift+alt+s)

by doing this, you'll obviously get a tiny cursor + trail, but you can resize it ingame to 2x and it should be somewhat similar. if you find that the cursortrail scaled up 2x isn't big enough, use photoshop/gimp to scale it up a few pixels along with the cursor. doing this will make the cursor look pretty bleh so you're better off using a simple cursor like the one in your op

if you can't be bothered modifying the cursor and stuff, you can preview the cursortrail by using the default osu skin and scaling the cursor up to 2x ingame to see if you want this type of cursor or not

otherwise here's a skin you can steal from in case you don't have a proper cursortrail: http://puu.sh/mqrOW/3ee803f164.osk

fuk first srs post of 2016 lol xd
Topic Starter
ShadowSWilliam

Noobsicle wrote:

-snip-
Eh, that tiny long cursor trail isn't really my cup of tea.(I tried it out using the skin you linked.)
It's kinda sad that there's no way of making it long at all times.
Thanks for the long response though! :)