forum

Ideal practice difficulty range

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DegPixel
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Hello, I'll try to keep this post brief but I'm looking to spark discussion regarding what a good difficulty range is for someone looking to play for improvement. For about two months now, I've been (mostly) following simple advice: Stick to maps that you can FC.

As I'm beginning to gain PP though, the question becomes, do I continue playing the maps that I've been playing, or start playing harder maps? Currently I can FC a fairly large suite of 4.2-4.4* maps in 1-3 tries. I can also FC 4.5-5* maps, although with much less ease. I've FC'd a few in this range in 1-3 tries, other have taken ~10+ plays to get to a FC.

Again, I'm looking to find out what space people tend to play within. Admittedly, there are a few maps within my "comfort range" that I still haven't been able to FC (33 clears: Highscore (Another) [4.72*], 28 clears: Koigokoro (Insane) [4.2*]), so there is no doubt room for improvement.

In addition, if anyone has beatmap suggestions that fall within what you think I should be playing, feel free to throw them at me, I've been slowly exhausting the list of maps I own within my skill area.

tl;dr: Do you play maps that are relatively easy for you to FC, somewhat difficult but FC-able, or otherwise?
S[u]nD[e]Yz
Plz enjoy game
DeathHydra
I suggest you keep doing what you're doing right now. As for your tldr question, I play any songs within my skill range (4*-5.5*) once, and if I think the beatmap is easy to FC, I will try to FC it. If I can't FC after a few retries, I will continue FC it the next day. More or less, that's what I do.

For maps suggestion, maybe you can check my top ranks and try those maps.
Topic Starter
DegPixel

DeathAdderz wrote:

I suggest you keep doing what you're doing right now. As for your tldr question, I play any songs within my skill range (4*-5.5*) once, and if I think the beatmap is easy to FC, I will try to FC it. If I can't FC after a few retries, I will continue FC it the next day. More or less, that's what I do.

For maps suggestion, maybe you can check my top ranks and try those maps.
That's more or less what I'm doing currently, so I suppose that works out. I'll definitely check out your top ranks though, and also if that's your first account, that is some shockingly quick progression so good for you.
DeathHydra
It is my one and only account. Maybe I play too much pp farm maps. It's just a coincidence that most maps I like give out much pp. I also got quite lucky on some songs.
Nabel_old_1
when I play osu for a couple of hours I do it like this:
-I start by playing 4 star maps often ar<9 and focus on getting high acc
-I play some of my maps I need to fix(low acc fcs or maps with 1 miss)
-I play some 5 star maps to see if I can get some pp scores
-I end with playing a few 6 star maps or heavy stream maps (just for fun to see how I do on them)
I never play a map twice in a row and I always finish my play even if I'm trying to improve a bad acc fc and I miss.
Yolshka
I would like to say that i belive that whether or not a map belongs in your "comfort range" is up to you to decide, if your satisfied with your current scores then keep doing what you're doing.

One thing though that i would like to mention.
I don't think it's a bad idea to play maps which you consider out of your zone a few times.Personally, my comfort range is really tight, and I'm probably the only one around this rank who can't read AR9, but recently I started playing these maps, and I noticed improvement already.

Since most of my pp comes from farm maps, I would've told you to check my top scores for some easy pp, but since you're higher they would probably give a meaningless amount.
Unless if you feel like putting a mod on them ;)
Nabel_old_1

ShadyAngel wrote:

.Personally, my comfort range is really tight, and I'm probably the only one around this rank who can't read AR9, but recently I started playing these maps, and I noticed improvement already.
At least you took the time to learn lower ar :p. I have a hard time learning ar 7-8 4 star maps again :(
Deva
I play whatever 4-7* AR7-10.3 idontevenknowBPM-gottagofastBPM
I just dont like streamy maps because my stamina is shitty.
PP doesnt matter
Tebz188

ShadyAngel wrote:

One thing though that i would like to mention.
I don't think it's a bad idea to play maps which you consider out of your zone a few times.Personally, my comfort range is really tight, and I'm probably the only one around this rank who can't read AR9, but recently I started playing these maps, and I noticed improvement already.
You definately aren't the only one, I know a bunch of ppl that are 50k (or some even higher) that can't read AR9 or HR. for exmpl. I'm only 60K, but the only way I can read AR9 is with HD (Dont ask me why idk either) and can't HR anything over 3,5* and barely pass under it.

On-topic: I usually play stuff I can FC (slightly below 4*) but after few maps I start going up on difficulty usually ending at about 5* maps. My best plays are often those "FK it I'll just try for the sake of it" and rarely anymore those that are in my "comfort" zone.
shortpotato

DegPixel wrote:

tl;dr: Do you play maps that are relatively easy for you to FC, somewhat difficult but FC-able, or otherwise?
play all of them and 3 times as much
Deva

tbag188 wrote:

bunch of ppl that are 50k (or some even higher) that can't read AR9 or HR
Thats because they didnt play that AR.
N0thingSpecial
play challenging maps that you enjoy, and enjoy FCing them, I told myself to FC all of the challenging supercell - Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari maps, just because I like the song, and now they take 3 spots in my top 5 plays. Have I told you I really like Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari by supercell?
silento
Yeah looks good. If it works for you, well keep at it. You should try some 5* songs every now and then, might help you.

I don't fully trust star rating when it comes to my practice because some are easier than others because of different skillsets. Here is where I start hand-picking songs no matter what difficulty because I could be pretty good with any tapping intensive song (grumd maps for example) while any mid to large screen jumps make me a sadboy.

Then again, I just make OD10 (because I can't read AR10 and have no interest in doing so until 4 digits) diffs to practice so I guess I improve differently.
dung eater
something you feel you could do better if you try more