forum

Best Recording Software? now in need of best encoding way.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Previous Thread's Information but not necessary anymore,call this a story recap
So umm im pretty confuse now that i got too many unclear choice and i dont want to waste more of my time.

i simply looking for a software to record my PC activity, could be how to mapping(beatmapping or 3D mapping), designing, gaming and etc.
Currently im using Fraps, trying to record my gameplay on some game, with resolution 1366x768 , 60fps
the recording only last around 10minutes and the file is absurbly huge, around 9gb which is really dumb.

i really need advice for any good simple recording software, preferrably :
-low file size , easy and quick to be install or even portable or stand alone program.
-easy and handy to be use like Fraps.
-uhh yeah, hopefully free.

ah, another bad side of Fraps is...
when i try to record how i map on osu, it cant record another new tab like timing tab(F6)
which is really annoying....

thanks in advance guys >w</

My Specs :
-i5 4460 3.2ghz
-GTX 750Ti MSI Twin Frozr
-RAM 8GB
-i could use afterburner if i had to increase some clock if necessary. (by 15% OC)

Now :

So i decide to use bandicam, and i try to have handbrake... uhh ohhh, i also have After Effect for encoding(but havent try)

first time recording gameplay 21minute of 1366x768 with recording setting :
-full size option,
-60fps,
-quality80,
-format mp4,
-H264 NVENC VBR encode

and i got like 1gb mp4, i think mp4 is lower than avi and bandicam need to be encode a bit more to be perfect right?
anyway the looks and quality of the video is really good here for 1gb , i should have get 40gb or more for FRAPS X_X

tried handbrake but not sure if i did it right, just choose to mkv, probably same default setting... wait for 50min
and got like 590mb mkv , i think its still huge, a good mkv should be around 100mb right?

-what did i do wrong? what should i do best
-my assumption is... should i change it into size 0x720 instead?(because my monitor size cant produce 1080 result so...)
-if i reduce the fps below 60, will it looks ugly? its like action game, stutter or not smooth looking will looks really bad.

TQ all >w<
IppE
Fraps files are large because they are lossless.

Use OBS and set the bitrate yourself if you don't want huge files. This will cost both in increased cpu usage during recording (because of realtime encoding of h.264) and in quality.

Just don't expect to get smaller files with the same quality as fraps, because there is no --pixie-dust setting in x264.
Topic Starter
LordRaika

IppE wrote:

Fraps files are large because they are lossless.

Use OBS and set the bitrate yourself if you don't want huge files. This will cost both in increased cpu usage during recording (because of realtime encoding of h.264) and in quality.

Just don't expect to get smaller files with the same quality as fraps, because there is no --pixie-dust setting in x264.
ok, first thx for fast reply...
uhm i know that fraps is lossless , but that super huge raw avi is scaring me to the death. XD

as for bitrate, whats the best choice to choose? say, i will sometimes record a game like portal2 , GTA5 and other heavy stuff (if its getting a bit stutter, i will reduce the graphic setting by then)

oh well, and OBS is about same as fraps?
final question, if i really have no choice, but to just simply use fraps....
HOW do i deal with the gigantic avi, how do i convert it better? i have after effect, so i probably can convert it
i jst want to knw the best setting for it...

tq >w</
(+1kds if i can do it XD)
IppE

LordRaika wrote:

as for bitrate, whats the best choice to choose? say, i will sometimes record a game like portal2 , GTA5 and other heavy stuff (if its getting a bit stutter, i will reduce the graphic setting by then)
Depends on what you want. Depending on the content and encoding preset you use you might need to set the bitrate to around 10-15Mbps to get decent quality at 60fps. Testing different bitrates is the best way to figure out what you need.

LordRaika wrote:

oh well, and OBS is about same as fraps?
No. OBS is a program made for livestreaming, as a free alternative to Xsplit. It just so happens that you can also do local recordings with it.

LordRaika wrote:

final question, if i really have no choice, but to just simply use fraps....
HOW do i deal with the gigantic avi, how do i convert it better? i have after effect, so i probably can convert it
i jst want to knw the best setting for it...
You compress it with an encoding software of your choice. The "don't use this for encoding" link in my sig can get you started if you feel lost.
balldoowell
abraker
OBS is love, OBS if life
puccithecat
just one advice? ONE ADVICE? of course i always got an answer for someone ;3 *cough* jk m8 *cough*

PLAY MORE 2 GET THE GIFT YOU WANTED 4 SO LONG
Endie-
If you're using win10, i would try out the "game DVR" in the xbox app. Its quick and easy
Ochinchi-sama
Use your phone camera and record monitor.
Topic Starter
LordRaika

balldoowell wrote:

i dont even..... err.... what was that?

abraker wrote:

OBS is love, OBS if life
i think i will pass on this XD , since im not streaming

puccithecat wrote:

just one advice? ONE ADVICE? of course i always got an answer for someone ;3 *cough* jk m8 *cough*

this is..... ok, tq eventhou i dont get it at all....

erikG wrote:

If you're using win10, i would try out the "game DVR" in the xbox app. Its quick and easy
sadly , its win 7 64bit

Ochinchi-sama wrote:

Use your phone camera and record monitor.
this might be another idea to record stuff, but phone camera is mostly BAD
Meah
I use bandicam+handbrake/game dvr. It's pretty good.

HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder.
Pangus
You should try Action!, when i was using it i didnt notice any performance loss and you can change quite a few settings.

Give the trial a go

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

This is also available on Steam
Vuelo Eluko
those specs scream prebuilt
why do they always pair power house chips with crap gpu's
must be a marketing thing, all the average consumer sees is 'hur dur i5' and pulls out their wallet

its rarely a problem with the higher end prebuilts, the bigger issue with those is they are more expensive than getting all the parts new even though they are using all refurbished components.
FuZ
Bandicam, low file size, good quality, can also record a screen region rather than an application
Topic Starter
LordRaika
ok so...., i will probably give bandicam a try later on....

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

those specs scream prebuilt
why do they always pair power house chips with crap gpu's
must be a marketing thing, all the average consumer sees is 'hur dur i5' and pulls out their wallet

its rarely a problem with the higher end prebuilts, the bigger issue with those is they are more expensive than getting all the parts new even though they are using all refurbished components.
uhhhhhhh,.... i know right?
when i build the pc, i aim for nearly high end, all i could find for the damn gpu is only 750ti, while im looking at least 960 or 970...
but they dont fucking have it.... *SIGH* perhaps the whole city dont have it on stock so..... X_X
Meah

LordRaika wrote:

ok so...., i will probably give bandicam a try later on....
use Handbrake afterwards, it reduces the file size.
puccithecat

LordRaika wrote:

puccithecat wrote:

this is..... ok, tq eventhou i dont get it at all....
you dont even get it do you?
join the 7k osumania tournament thing.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
So i decide to use bandicam, and i try to have handbrake... uhh ohhh, i also have After Effect for encoding(but havent try)

first time recording gameplay 21minute of 1366x768 with recording setting :
-full size option,
-60fps,
-quality80,
-format mp4,
-H264 NVENC VBR encode

and i got like 1gb mp4, i think mp4 is lower than avi and bandicam need to be encode a bit more to be perfect right?
anyway the looks and quality of the video is really good here for 1gb , i should have get 40gb or more for FRAPS X_X

tried handbrake but not sure if i did it right, just choose to mkv, probably same default setting... wait for 50min
and got like 590mb mkv , i think its still huge, a good mkv should be around 100mb right?

-what did i do wrong? what should i do best
-my assumption is... should i change it into size 0x720 instead?(because my monitor size cant produce 1080 result so...)
-if i reduce the fps below 60, will it looks ugly? its like action game, stutter or not smooth looking will looks really bad.

TQ all >w<
IppE

LordRaika wrote:

i think mp4 is lower than avi

a good mkv should be around 100mb right?
No and no.

MP4, AVI and MKV are just containers, what matters is the actual codec used.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
o-ok that is something new to me, so what CODEC do i use? @_@

cmon, dont tell me bit by bit... im ready for a lecture for my question XD
show more