forum

Being able to close #osu [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
Derekku
Methinks peppy's !announce wouldn't work if #osu weren't open. :v

Anyway, what's the big deal? You can have other tabs open, osu! remembers the last active channel upon logout (so you don't even have to SEE #osu when you login again), and if you don't want to see chat in the first place, then you can just not hit f8.

Also, think of all the newbies that will accidentally close the channel and not be able to use their brain to open it again. *imagines Help forum spam as usual* "halp i cant tie my own shoes ): ): ):"
dkun
/support

If it doesn't pass, then find an alternative to get the trolls out of there.
Takuma
since all we really want is for us not to have idiots in our chat then i'd much rather go for a private channel thing where we can choose who gets to be in it
Galkan
Split #osu to #osu and #english? Why not?
Beuchi

Galkan92 wrote:

That would mean we will have 2 channels full of spammers/idiots to moderate.

Ehh.. no, thanks, we have enough with just #osu <.<

I would support this if we're suggesting to change #osu to #english, but as Derekku already said, probably peppy announces wouldn't be visible if people closes the channel.

So... no, I don't support this.
Topic Starter
Rukario

Beuchi-chan wrote:

I would support this if we're suggesting to change #osu to #english, but as Derekku already said, probably peppy announces wouldn't be visible if people closes the channel.
Well but who really knows on how the announcements really work. maybe it's a BanchoBot thing whihc sends it to every player but well, we never know if peppy doesn't clear this up.
If the announcements are binded to #osu then I won't say a word if this gets denied, but otherwise I see no problem why to not make it closable.
Shohei Ohtani
make #announcements uncloseable, and let #osu be closeable.
dkun

CDFA wrote:

make #announcements uncloseable, and let #osu be closeable.
^

+ #osu -> #english sounds good.
Sander-Don
yes please, oh god yes, closing #osu would be a dream come true ♥
Max300
All i have to say is...

Support, it's annoying with all the spammers and trolls
peppy
I fail to see the logic here (and am reminded why giving players too much control can be a bad thing). Could everyone stop replying with "support" and give reasons as to why this needs to happen? Not reasons like "osu! has trolls", as you can avoid this by... you know... not reading it.

The only advantage I can see is slightly more space on the tab bar.

Also try and think sensibly when choosing a subject for feature request posts fixed).
Galkan

Beuchi-chan wrote:

Galkan92 wrote:

That would mean we will have 2 channels full of spammers/idiots to moderate.

Ehh.. no, thanks, we have enough with just #osu <.<
#english for native english speakers (like other nationalities have their chats by now)
#osu for global logical (or not) discussions (GD/OT)
Jarby

peppy wrote:

I would appreciate that space.
Lunah_old

peppy wrote:

. Could everyone stop replying with "support" and give reasons as to why this needs to happen? Not reasons like "osu! has trolls", as you can avoid this by... you know... not reading it.

Another reason are Highlights ..
for example i have my name on highlight (alex) , i got highlighted many times when i play,

and i support about space, i hate when i go on second linee...

#osu is english channel, and i always see people talk in other language (like chinese or other) i think #English or dunno will be awesome D:
adam2046

Lunah wrote:

#osu is english channel, and i always see people talk in other language (like chinese or other) i think #English or dunno will be awesome D:
This is not a valid point, people talking other languages are redirected their proper channel, if they continue to talk in #osu they will be silenced.
Lunah_old

adam2046 wrote:

Lunah wrote:

This is not a valid point, people talking other languages are redirected their proper channel, if they continue to talk in #osu they will be silenced.
This is infinite.
Esupanitix
I support this and concur with the above post entirely
awp

peppy wrote:

Could everyone stop replying with "support" and give reasons as to why this needs to happen?
Your user name is displayed (and thus can be highlighted) only by which channels you're present in, correct? Closing #osu would allow you to prevent people from highlighting you except only from those channels you actually wish to be in, and your online status visibility can also be limited only to the channels you want to be a part of. I may have worded the latter half poorly: by being able to close #osu, you can limit who can see you online. If I'm only in the #french channel, then only my friends and the #french channel would be able to see that I was logged in.

tl;dr:
- limit highlighting only to channels you care about
- limit online status only to channels you care about
Shohei Ohtani

awp wrote:

- limit online status only to channels you care about
Wouldn't that only apply for irc, though? You're still shown as on at the online users bar no matter what channel you're in.
Hakeru

Faust wrote:

Yes please.
HarryHy

Lunah wrote:

for example i have my name on highlight (alex) , i got highlighted many times when i play,
Get a better highlight list. 8-)

I disagree with this request, really, I see no reason other than "#osu is full of mean people, I don't like them". Just don't look at the room if you don't like it. If you have highlights set that are often said in #osu and it annoys you, change those. It just seems very unnecessary and will further split the community.
nate_old
Why is it necessary for #osu to be uncloseable? Is it a technical limitation or a personal preference? Is it because of announcements?

If it's necessary to make announcements, then personally I feel it would be better to make #lobby uncloseable and make the announcements in #lobby. Isn't #lobby the general channel? Also, it's not very parallel to have the English channel (#osu) to be open all the time while the other language channels are not.

But I'll withhold my support for now; I simply don't know enough information to sway either way (I would have to know the answers to the questions above)
Derekku

asforoneday wrote:

I feel it would be better to make #lobby uncloseable and make the announcements in #lobby. Isn't #lobby the general channel?
oh god, no. #lobby is the channel that opens when you enter multiplayer and just gets filled with "join my game plzz" spam. #osu is the "general" channel.
Claudia_old

HarryHy wrote:

Lunah wrote:

Get a better highlight list. 8-)

I disagree with this request, really, I see no reason other than "#osu is full of mean people, I don't like them". Just don't look at the room if you don't like it. If you have highlights set that are often said in #osu and it annoys you, change those. It just seems very unnecessary and will further split the community.
Do you know how hard it is to NOT ignore #osu?
Once you look in there, like if somebody highlights and starts a conversation with you, it's impossible to not pay attention.

And of course, there are times when I want to close #osu and be left alone to play in peace without having people go E-HOOKER or whatever.

I'm also in support of changing #osu to #english and NOT having #osu/#english be the default. If Bancho can automatically analyze based on a person's location which channel would be best for them [#spanish, #korean, etc.], i'd be quite a happy person. [at least in theory it sounds easy but I don't know much about programming]
Firo Prochainezo
I want to close #osu and be left alone to play in peace without having people go E-HOOKER
I know you are talking about me. ;___;
Claudia_old

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

I want to close #osu and be left alone to play in peace without having people go E-HOOKER
I know you are talking about me. ;___;
Not at all. <3

Mostly people who I don't really care about [or even know who they are] who are all HAHA E-HOOKER
-me looks in chat- wat?
"FUNNI NAME"

then i get into pointless conversations q_q
but you are my secret lover.
Crakila
Make everyone go into #lobby by default and then people can go to their desired channel.

Rename #osu to #english

???

Profit...

I cant think of anything else atm
laport
Don't change a winning team eh?
nate_old

Derekku wrote:

asforoneday wrote:

I feel it would be better to make #lobby uncloseable and make the announcements in #lobby. Isn't #lobby the general channel?
oh god, no. #lobby is the channel that opens when you enter multiplayer and just gets filled with "join my game plzz" spam. #osu is the "general" channel.
It strikes me as strange that the general channel is English only.

Make everyone go into #lobby by default and then people can go to their desired channel.

Rename #osu to #english

???

Profit...

I cant think of anything else atm
This is what I was hinting towards in my post I guess, if that's not workable then there's no reason to change it I suppose
iviasquerade

peppy wrote:

I fail to see the logic here (and am reminded why giving players too much control can be a bad thing). Could everyone stop replying with "support" and give reasons as to why this needs to happen? Not reasons like "osu! has trolls", as you can avoid this by... you know... not reading it.

Also try and think sensibly when choosing a subject for feature request posts fixed).

More Bandwidth.Not everyone have a fast connection,there are still people playing with 56k (3.5kb/s max data transfer) or mobile connection.Every kb wasted make us shed a tear.
(#osu+#lobby)x trolls=slow connection user's rage
theowest
I guess I'm just going to mark this as [added]

Right click to leave the channel from the channel select.
deadbeat
i still find it funny you didn't know about that xD
also as a footnote: right clicking on any open channel in the channel selection(the above image) will close it. not just #osu
TheVileOne
Interesting how there was so much opposition from the admins on thing. I mean really, what reason do you have to be able to close #osu.

I'm not English. end of story. xD (I am English)
laport
you don't leave the channel, you just don't see it. you can still get highlighted after "leaving" it that way
MillhioreF
It still doesn't take up tab space, and I actually like being highlighted when I'm not there (because it means people are talking about me and I wanna be there)
Momochikun
Thanks Thanks..