forum

Final Fantasy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pikabutt
Saddened, as an avid Final Fantasy fan, that there has yet to be a thread made for the series or at least not within the 3-4 pages range ◉⌓◉ Feel free to vaporize this thread should it already exist, and further confirm my status of being blind. If not, maybe this will become the general Final Fantasy thread and it will be edited to shits 'cause I enjoy organizing and beautifying unnecessarily ❛⃘ᗜ❛⃘

Figured there should be conversation starters, so listed below are (not-so) frequently asked questions that those who bother to reply can answer.

FAQs
- What is your first Final Fantasy game? Share your memories.
- What is your favourite game from the Final Fantasy series? Share your reason(s), successes and struggles.
- What do you hope for the series in the future?
- Are you excited for Final Fantasy VII Remake and/or Final Fantasy XV?
- Any recommendations for those who have yet to indulge in the vast Final Fantasy world?

Would have included videos into the thread, but currently being lazy at work and YouTube has been restricted ¬_¬ But otherwise, would love to hear what the rest of the osu! community feels about this long-running series!

Not going to lie, mischievously made this thread semi-specifically to squeal about the most recent Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer. I contradict my self-proclaimed avid Final Fantasy fan title by saying that I have yet to play VII. Once I was old enough to play and comprehend stories, I started with VIII, playing nearly every game that followed. Back on point, excited to finally be able to play this and the remade version with enhanced graphics! ^ヮ^ Though being as it's my first time, don't know how I feel about it being turned into a multi-part series...I'd want to soak in the experience all at once; enjoy an evening marathon.

On the other hand, also waiting on the official release date of XV. PS4 has been neglected thus far since there hasn't been too many games that have warranted my attention. It's hard to conceive that it's been nearly 10 years since the announcement and to put it into perspective, I've spent nearly half my life waiting on a video game ◎-◎ Gonna milk the moment when it comes out!
Zafufu
Final Fantasy VIII, the reason I got into rpgs since like age 6, and led to my current gaming life.
Was the only one I bothered to beat hardest end-game boss on and solo final boss with 1 char (Irvine). xD
I've also played 1&2 (PS1 remake),7,9,10,10-2,12,13, and 13-2, but would say 8 still stands as personal favorite.
As for FF7 remake, tbh, most of the current FF7 hype is on the new stuff. I recently played FF7, was a nice FF game and all, but not what a lot of the fan base made it look like basing off the new spin-offs and sequels. So all I can expect of the remake is to match it up with the new styles more. FF7 wasn't a bad entry of the series, but all the remake would do is make it prettier than it actually was in my opinion. As for future games, final fantasy seems to always try new things, so never know what to expect. Will probably enjoy the series in some more forms it takes. xD

EDIT: And to add for the introduction to series part... I think it's hard to rule out one specific since every game tries different story themes and mechanics. But if I had to pick one, I'd say 9. It has many elements of the series and can be easy to figure out for fresh rpg players (Though FF in general can be pretty easy if your a big jrpg player.) And if there's something about 9 that doesn't suit your tastes, then my only other suggestion is 10.
Justykanna
Final Fantasy was the reason I got into JRPGs and while their more recent entries aren't nearly as good as their older ones, I'm still a huge fan of them.

Memories: FFV was the first FF to show me class systems and it's likely the reason I love them so much. This is my favourite FF to date for this reason alone. Sure the story's kinda bland, but there's a lot of JRPGs that are like that.
Favourite game: As stated above, V. Struggles, I actually played the PS1 version and got stuck when I got to the second world. I quit and didn't pick it up until the GBA rerelease. I'm glad I did. Others? FF Tactics/Tactics Advance/Tactics Advance 2 were all very good ones not in the prime series. FF1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 10-2 and 14 are all awesome too. I'm looking forward to trying Explorers when it comes out too. I should also mention that both Theatryrhthms were amazing for me too. Both have a ton of hours on em.
Hope for the series: I honestly want another Tactical game. Give it to me for 3DS. I know Fire Emblem is out there but those tactical games mentioned above are special to me.
Remake for FFVII / Release of XV?: I honestly haven't paid any attention to XV. I believe it's an action RPG and I just don't care for those. I'm more of a fan of turn based games because I'm just so bad at real-time games. VII's a little more special to me but I dunno if I'll pick it up for the same reason. No doubt it'll be good though.
Recommendations: Play FFI first. I don't care who you are. Don't have to play the original Nintendo one. One of the ports work well too. If you're looking for something that's not your basic "your turn, pick an action" type-game, try one of the three Tactics games.

I've beat every FF except for 2, 3, 8, 12 and 13. 11 and 14 are MMOs but I played A Realm Reborn and honestly would still be playing it if I had time for it. Excellent game.
Zafufu

Justykanna wrote:

Final Fantasy was the reason I got into JRPGs and while their more recent entries aren't nearly as good as their older ones, I'm still a huge fan of them.

Memories: FFV was the first FF to show me class systems and it's likely the reason I love them so much. This is my favourite FF to date for this reason alone. Sure the story's kinda bland, but there's a lot of JRPGs that are like that.

Same feelings here about the way I started. xD Even if a rpg/jrpg is more impressive than FF8 to me, just can't replace that first rpg feeling it struck in my heart.
Justykanna

Zafufu wrote:

Same feelings here about the way I started. xD Even if a rpg/jrpg is more impressive than FF8 to me, just can't replace that first rpg feeling it struck in my heart.
I should also mention, FF1 was not my first FF. I believe 4 or 6 was (which was 2 and 3, respectively) back in the day when they were both on the SNES. I 'think' I beat 6 first with the help of my brother.
Zafufu

Justykanna wrote:

Zafufu wrote:

I should also mention, FF1 was not my first FF. I believe 4 or 6 was (which was 2 and 3, respectively) back in the day when they were both on the SNES. I 'think' I beat 6 first with the help of my brother.

Ah, 6 is another title I need to play sometime. I believe it had a PS1 release, in which I'm likely to look into. And I needed all the help I could get when starting out in childhood. xD All I knew how to do was spam attack button when new to the genre. lol
Justykanna

Zafufu wrote:

Ah, 6 is another title I need to play sometime. I believe it had a PS1 release, in which I'm likely to look into. And I needed all the help I could get when starting out in childhood. xD All I knew how to do was spam attack button when new to the genre. lol
I was terrible with following the story at the time, I was usually fine with battles. Except the magic tower... I ended up spamming X-Zone or Lightning 3 through most of it.
Yeah 6 got a PS1 release with Chrono Trigger. I actually bought 6 for iOS last January during Square-Enix's app sale. I'm currently sitting outside the final dungeon so I theoretically can beat it right now. FF6 also has a release for GBA so it's been ported more than once. I usually use Locke, Sabin, Edgar and Celes but I opted for a different team, just to change it up with Strago, Cyan, Terra and Shadow this time around.
Zafufu

Justykanna wrote:

I was terrible with following the story at the time, I was usually fine with battles. Except the magic tower... I ended up spamming X-Zone or Lightning 3 through most of it.
lol I didn't follow the stories very well either in early years, but loved them so much anyway since they stood out more than my other games at the time. And when I first went through 10, Yuna was my spam tool. xD Especially when having the sisters, Ultima, and 1 MP cost bonus.
Justykanna

Zafufu wrote:

lol I didn't follow the stories very well either in early years, but loved them so much anyway since they stood out more than my other games at the time. And when I first went through 10, Yuna was my spam tool. xD Especially when having the sisters, Ultima, and 1 MP cost bonus.
Yeah, now that I care about them more, they're awesome.

I used Tidus, Lulu and Yuna with Rikku sparingly. I only had one file for FF10 and I missed something in the shrine where Bahamut was stationed. This caused me to miss the Magus Sisters and whoever was last. I was sad. =( I could only watch as my brother unlocked most of everything.
Zafufu

Justykanna wrote:

Yeah, now that I care about them more, they're awesome.

I used Tidus, Lulu and Yuna with Rikku sparingly. I only had one file for FF10 and I missed something in the shrine where Bahamut was stationed. This caused me to miss the Magus Sisters and whoever was last. I was sad. =( I could only watch as my brother unlocked most of everything.

Ouch. It was long ago and I don't remember all that I had to for them since my brother helped a lot. xD And by last one I can only guess you mean Anima?
Justykanna

Zafufu wrote:

Ouch. It was long ago and I don't remember all that I had to for them since my brother helped a lot. xD And by last one I can only guess you mean Anima?
Oh wait. No, the Magus Sisters were last. I missed them because I missed something in Bahamut's temple. Anima was second last but I got him and Yojimbo - who I believe were both optional Aeons. Ah the memories.
Zafufu

Justykanna wrote:

Oh wait. No, the Magus Sisters were last. I missed them because I missed something in Bahamut's temple. Anima was second last but I got him and Yojimbo - who I believe were both optional Aeons. Ah the memories.
Ah, I thought I may have been the confused one at first. xD Could have sworn the sisters were last, but couldn't tell if my memory was off. lol
Topic Starter
Pikabutt

Zafufu wrote:

Final Fantasy VIII, the reason I got into rpgs since like age 6, and led to my current gaming life.
Was the only one I bothered to beat hardest end-game boss on and solo final boss with 1 char (Irvine). xD
I've also played 1&2 (PS1 remake),7,9,10,10-2,12,13, and 13-2, but would say 8 still stands as personal favorite.
As for FF7 remake, tbh, most of the current FF7 hype is on the new stuff. I recently played FF7, was a nice FF game and all,
but not what a lot of the fan base made it look like basing off the new spin-offs and sequels. So all I can expect
of the remake is to match it up with the new styles more. FF7 wasn't a bad entry of the series, but all the remake
would do is make it prettier than it actually was in my opinion. As for future games, final fantasy seems to always
try new things, so never know what to expect. Will probably enjoy the series in some more forms it takes. xD

EDIT: And to add for the introduction to series part... I think it's hard to rule out one specific since every game
tries different story themes and mechanics. But if I had to pick one, I'd say 9. It has many elements of the series
and can be easy to figure out for fresh rpg players (Though FF in general can be pretty easy if your a big jrpg player.)
And if there's something about 9 that doesn't suit your tastes, then my only other suggestion is 10.
You played and understood VIII at the age of 6?! Or maybe my mind was not as developed as yours at that point, but I had to replay that game once I was old enough to comprehend it entirely, and how nostalgic that was. The real nostalgia, personally, comes from X though, nothing beats those beautifully composed songs •⌄•

Last I heard and read about the Remake, they're implementing more of the modern battling systems versus the turn-based, so it won't just be the graphics. Though I'm probably not one to judge or compare since I never played the original •̥﹏•̥ Anything that isn't like 13, I will be happy with. Hopefully they'll step away from the linearity from now on, and I was surprised that made 2 sequels to that game. When they could've been putting that effort elsewhere.

Justykanna wrote:

Favourite game: As stated above, V. Struggles, I actually played the PS1 version and got stuck when I got to the second world. I quit and didn't pick it up until the GBA rerelease. I'm glad I did. Others? FF Tactics/Tactics Advance/Tactics Advance 2 were all very good ones not in the prime series. FF1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 10-2 and 14 are all awesome too. I'm looking forward to trying Explorers when it comes out too. I should also mention that both Theatryrhthms were amazing for me too. Both have a ton of hours on em.
Hope for the series: I honestly want another Tactical game. Give it to me for 3DS. I know Fire Emblem is out there but those tactical games mentioned above are special to me.
Remake for FFVII / Release of XV?: I honestly haven't paid any attention to XV. I believe it's an action RPG and I just don't care for those. I'm more of a fan of turn based games because I'm just so bad at real-time games. VII's a little more special to me but I dunno if I'll pick it up for the same reason. No doubt it'll be good though.
Recommendations: Play FFI first. I don't care who you are. Don't have to play the original Nintendo one. One of the ports work well too. If you're looking for something that's not your basic "your turn, pick an action" type-game, try one of the three Tactics games.

I've beat every FF except for 2, 3, 8, 12 and 13. 11 and 14 are MMOs but I played A Realm Reborn and honestly would still be playing it if I had time for it. Excellent game.
JRPGs, in general, are not like they were back in the PS/PS2 era, and I wish companies would have continued doing so. Often finding myself hoping for remakes of games like Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, and the Xenosaga series.

It's interesting how you had the exposure of the early turn-based Final Fantasy games and how your love for them shows. As for myself, I actually haven't ventured in discovering any of the games prior to VIII simply because I've been so used to the modern systems that turn-based would probably wreak havoc on my already non-existent patience. Not saying there's anything bad about them, per se, I've played a couple, though not my cup of tea at this point. Maybe one day I'll have an epiphany and invest time into those earlier entries ・౪・

Funny story, I actually purchased nearly all the versions of XIV for the free trial ; PC was a birthday gift from a friend, while the PS3 and PS4 versions were personally bought ˃̶ᗜ˂̶
Zafufu
Lol, I meant I started playing around that age. Some parts didn't hit my head until future replays.
And that's pretty much what I meant about the FF7 remake. FF7 is very dated in the graphics and gameplay, but the remake I wouldn't say is all that necessary coming from someone who played the original. As said before, most hype you see is on the new FF7 stuff rather than the original game.
Justykanna

Pikabutt wrote:

JRPGs, in general, are not like they were back in the PS/PS2 era, and I wish companies would have continued doing so. Often finding myself hoping for remakes of games like Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, and the Xenosaga series.

It's interesting how you had the exposure of the early turn-based Final Fantasy games and how your love for them shows. As for myself, I actually haven't ventured in discovering any of the games prior to VIII simply because I've been so used to the modern systems that turn-based would probably wreak havoc on my already non-existent patience. Not saying there's anything bad about them, per se, I've played a couple, though not my cup of tea at this point. Maybe one day I'll have an epiphany and invest time into those earlier entries ・౪・

Funny story, I actually purchased nearly all the versions of XIV for the free trial ; PC was a birthday gift from a friend, while the PS3 and PS4 versions were personally bought ˃̶ᗜ˂̶
Correct. But the turn based system is still fun to play to me.
8 was not of my understanding when I played it around the age of 12. I picked it up two years ago (when I was 23) and while I understand the story now, I don't care for it at all.

Honestly, a lot of the world is getting to the point where real time games are the way to go. You can tell because there's a lot of gaming sites out there that hand out their annual awards for best games and it's always stuff like Call of Duty, Fallout, etc. So gems like FF9 and Atelier Iris 2 get zero recognition because they do something really well (Especially with Atelier Iris 2... name another JRPG that includes all of: a strong story, great combat and a deep deep alchemy system... the current day Atelier games are AWFUL). Reviewers give them credit... the world does not. And I've never known why. Are they bad BECAUSE they aren't real time? Are you not excited BECAUSE it's not fast moving? I sure as hell hope not because that's not how they're played. It's like saying Call of Duty is too fast and leaves little to no room to think about your actions before you take them - could you imagine the backlash if anyone said that? You don't have to be an A+ gamer to be good at rating a game.
^I will clarify, this isn't a knock on you, it's a knock on the gaming world. Sorry for the rant.

I purchased FFXIV when it originally came out on PC. I went to EB and the manager (who knew me pretty well) asked if I was interested in the collector's edition. I buckled and bought the thing for an extra $30. Of course, it was awful. I picked it up again when it was called A Realm Reborn and loved it. Shame I don't have the time to play it anymore.

Zafufu wrote:

Lol, I meant I started playing around that age. Some parts didn't hit my head until future replays.
And that's pretty much what I meant about the FF7 remake. FF7 is very dated in the graphics and gameplay, but the remake I wouldn't say is all that necessary coming from someone who played the original. As said before, most hype you see is on the new FF7 stuff rather than the original game.
I started pretty early too - maybe 7 or 8 years old?
I kinda just played through the motions.
FF7 is kinda the unofficial most popular FF but it's not my favourite (though I still think it's a great game).
Yeah, it'll be a great feeling for anyone who played the original but the style of game-play makes me think I likely won't be playing it. Just can't find a love for action RPGs.
Senia-
I got reeeeeeally worried for FF7 remake (my second favorite FF, nothing can beat 6 obviously :D ) after reading the IGN ARTICLE.

What I hope for future of FF is that Hiroyuki Ito comes out from hiding and directs FFXVI based on Agni's philosophy world with Agni as main character ofc. Very big stretch I know but man can dream :|
deletemyaccount
Lighting Returns has been released on PC

is it worth it
Senia-

Philantropist wrote:

is it worth it
If you like FFs in general, probably yes. Read some reviews about it first though, I bought FF13 PC version and the port was abysmal, unplayable to be completely honest.
Justykanna

Philantropist wrote:

is it worth it
Based on what I heard, it was very "okay".
If you liked FF13 or FF13-2, I'd say it's at least worth a pickup. If you were more of a fan of the older FFs (ie: pre-10), I've heard that it's better to pass on it. The entire FF13 trio were not well liked based on what I heard. My brother was a huge FF fan growing up and he just didn't like 13 at all.
Zafufu
13 was enjoyable for me. I played 13 and 13-2 (though haven't finished 13-2 yet.) lol though not gonna get in a big debate over whether it was bad or not. I'm not into those conversations. :P
Senia-
13 isn't bad game at all but when you start comparing it to rest of FF games ugh
Justykanna

[ Gray Space ] wrote:

13 isn't bad game at all but when you start comparing it to rest of FF games ugh
Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you - hell, I haven't played it. It's hardcore FF fans like brother and I that probably find it disappointing.
Senia-

Justykanna wrote:

[ Gray Space ] wrote:

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you - hell, I haven't played it. It's hardcore FF fans like brother and I that probably find it disappointing.
It was incredibly disappointing (compared to earlier installments ), but even the worst ff game is still a good ;)
Hika
BUMP

FFXV RELEASE DATE IS OFFICIAL AND ON FOR SEPTEMBER 30 2016

Exclusive Deluxe Edition is an online exclusive sold in the official Square Enix store with limited copies available. (30,000).
Currently, there's a waitlist for it so it probably won't open up anytime soon. Costs around 250-300 USD.
Justykanna
Heh, I heard about that. Totally not interested in action RPGs though.
Plus I lack a PS4. xD
Hika
it's on Xbox too np ;)))
Zafufu
I see somebody revived this thread. xD I've been more excited for the FFIX pc release. Motivates me to replay it.
Justykanna

Hika wrote:

it's on Xbox too np ;)))
Don't have XBox One either. Haven't been playing console games outside of the Tales series lately so I haven't had reason to buy the WiiU, XBox One or PS4.
Hachiman
After FFXV uncovered event I can only predict this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fXxfxid7gI
Hika
bump bitches

everyone get hyped for T U E S D A Y