forum

[invalid] Mapping Rant - Please Read

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TehDragonGuy
BEFORE I START, I would like to say that this is more of a request than a feature request. And in fact, my request is simple. PLEASE, loosen the ranking criteria for maps.
TL;DR: If people enjoy maps, and the map flows and plays well to the music, with a decent difficulty throughout, there is no reason it should be unrankable.

Full Rant:

So, let me first get this straight. This really came to my attention after seeing THIS earlier today, which angered me a lot:

Basically, the mapper, Keada, has quit playing osu, due to their map being disqualified and called 'Bad'. This has probably angered me more than it should have, as it really has nothing to do with me. However, it got me thinking. Why exactly is this map being called bad? It plays well, it flows, it's enjoyable and I didn't see ANYONE complaining about it other than the BNs (one specifically, not going to name names as it should be quite obvious). Surely, as these maps are being played by a wide audience, if they find the maps acceptable, why should they not be rankable? I see nothing bad about this map, and, though it might not be AS polished as other maps, it is still an extremely good map.

Anyway, I was on a bit of a tangent there, but let me get back on track. Maps are made to be played by an audience, not just the BNs. The fact that a player has been driven out of this game due to this, must show how overly harsh the ranking criteria really is, even if it WAS a bit of an over-reaction. It is a very fun map to play, and is well mapped at that. I mean, it must have been, to have even been qualified at one point anyway. My first suggestion is to change the amount of BNs needed to DQ to 2. That way, one biased opinion, or one incorrect opinion, isn't enough to ruin a perfectly good map.

But that isn't really my main point. I think many people would probably agree with me that a lot of the older maps are a lot more fun to play. The likes of this, this, and this, as well as harder maps such as this and this, which would no longer be rankable by today's standards, are still very popular for a reason. They are good maps, they flow, and there is nothing unrankable about them. In my opinion, it is just a shame we will never get any more classic ranked maps like this, due to such harsh ranking criteria. I'm sure that the whole community would be behind maps like these being rankable again, as they are extremely fun to play.

I am running low on time, and I will finish this later if I receive support, but I think I have made enough justified reasons to atleast allow you to consider this. I don't think anybody would have a problem with this, especially when maps like this are somehow rankable. I can guarantee to you know that if anyone other than HW mapped this, it wouldn't even be considered for ranking. That's besides my point however. I really feel that today's ranking criteria are too harsh, especially towards newer mappers with no reputation, and that older style maps are just as fun and should be rankable.

I hope you will pay some serious attention to this, as it really bothers me, and I hope this makes an impact. I also hope this seems more like a structured argument than a rant, and I really hope that this does get taken into consideration. Also, thanks for actually taking your time to read this. :D It means a lot to me. Thank you :)
Hula
Why make ranking easier when there's more mappers than ever? That's a reason to increase to increase quality control on maps, because there's no shortage of bubbles and shit. This post is pointless and emotional, rethink. BNs don't even DQ.

Any shitmaps that get ranked and stay ranked are ones that slip through the system because there's currently a shit ton of active BNs to QATs, so expecting the QATs to check every map right now is a bit of a tall order, as there's like only 3(?) active QATs.
Topic Starter
TehDragonGuy

Hula wrote:

Why make ranking easier when there's more mappers than ever? That's a reason to increase to increase quality control on maps, because there's no shortage of bubbles and shit. This post is pointless and emotional, rethink. BNs don't even DQ.

Any shitmaps that get ranked and stay ranked are ones that slip through the system because there's currently a shit ton of active BNs to QATs, so expecting the QATs to check every map right now is a bit of a tall order, as there's like only 3(?) active QATs.
I don't think you quite understand my point. Yes, there are a larger number of mappers than ever at the moment, and I don't mean to let any old map get ranked. However, and I am going to keep going back to it, the Kanshou no Matenrou map I linked at the beginning was a perfectly good and rankable map, DQd for God knows what reason. Nobody in the target range of this map has complained about it, as it was a good map and there was nothing that justified the DQ. We don't necessarily need to bring it back as far as I mentioned earlier, but we will never get any maps that are as enjoyable as maps like those I linked earlier, due to the criteria being too harsh. Even if this is too far, I think that the criteria is too harsh anyway, and, even if nothing else were to be taken from this, I believe that the number of people needed to DQ should be increased to 2.
Damnae
DQ aren't the end of the world, unless you are dumb enough to quit when your map is dq'd. They are just there to start a discussion about the map before it gets ranked forever.
Topic Starter
TehDragonGuy

Damnae wrote:

DQ aren't the end of the world, unless you are dumb enough to quit when your map is dq'd. They are just there to start a discussion about the map before it gets ranked forever.
I never said they are the end of the world. I just said that sometimes DQs are thrown around too easily, and that maps have to be of such a high standard now-a-days that they are almost losing their 'fun' factor.
Myxo
You can post your rant in Off-Topic, not here.