forum

Easier osu!mania mapping.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +194
Topic Starter
_underjoy
Hello, I would like to share my idea to make the osu!mania (and maybe taiko, I've never mapped taiko but I guess it is the same) mapping easier.

First of all, allowing the note placement with the usage of binded keys (basically the setup player uses) instead of just mouse. It would allow for faster and more comfortable note placement. The keys up/down would allow to scroll the editor (which is currently done by mouse wheel). This method is used in Stepmania and DDReam Studio, two programs used by many professional mania mappers/charters and it really would make a mapper's life easier.

The second idea also derives from Stepmania (I'm sorry, I don't want to be a SM fag but let's face it, those features are comfortable). I would like to see an option to invert the editor in DDR style, so that the noted are placed from up to down. Of course this would be toggle'able. Not a big thing but this would be a handy feature for upscroll players who have an easier time reading the notes from up to down (and make patterns more consciously).

Those two things aren't a pain to implement but can be a cool addition and aid for mappers.
XinCrin
You can map with the keys that you use to play.
Compose > Enable Live Mapping
Topic Starter
_underjoy

XinCrin wrote:

Live mapping is an awful idea because it is really inaccurate and it doesn't allow for pattern thinking as well as it's impossible to map anything above 1/4 with it without getting a ton of 1/4 walls in a result.
Rilene
That's awesome, key binds for mapping while mouse scroll for moving as a usual editor.

XinCrin wrote:

It's literally impossible to map properly with this.
Imagine live mapping 250 BPM streams layered with 2 note chords every 1/2 beat.
abraker
Live mapping was a great idea in theory, but is bad practically. Perhaps only pro players live map for fun, but 99.99% of us don't use it. That said, shortcut mapping is the way to go.
Bara-
I can see this being helpful, but Live Mapping works fine at 25% or when pausing
Topic Starter
_underjoy

Baraatje123 wrote:

I can see this being helpful, but Live Mapping works fine at 25% or when pausing
It is hard to keep consistency while mapping live, also you would have to memorise all the sounds to do it properly (and get all the correct snaps). Not to mention creating some more advanced patterning.
Why not make a mapper's life easier? This is my point and it doesn't cost much.
Rilene
I would like to see this, this feature might be hard on 6K and above, but on 4K, it should be really helpful.
Cuppp
Yes please, this would speed up mapping a lot.

edit: apparently I cant give more than 4 stars, but consider my 52 remaining ones that I cant use aswell ~
"You have 52 vote(s) remaining."
AncuL

Rilene wrote:

I would like to see this, this feature might be hard on 6K and above, but on 4K, it should be really helpful.
having mapping binding should be useful, like "azsxdcf" or "1234567" binding
Rilene

AncuL wrote:

Rilene wrote:

having mapping binding should be useful, like "azsxdcf" or "1234567" binding
I know but I mean it is hard to do those chord or streams, you know, you can misclick sometime.

And the more the keys, the more chance of misclick.
Yauxo
livemappingopinion
I personally dont think that live mapping is all that bad. It works perfectly as a tool for general ideas. Play at 75% and 1/2 snap and there wont be too many inconsistencies. If you need to map 1/4, just use the first runthrough (1/2 livemapping) as some sort of shell and refine them in a second runthrough (snap back to 1/4. If you find a triplet, add that manually).
Cuppp
Live mapping is horrible for higher density charting, literally impossible to use. If you do use it, you'll have to spend more time removing notes out of place, time you could've spent just applying them yourself.

With keybindings for each of the keys you can place multiple notes at same time.
Scroll, place notes, scroll, place notes.
Hold, scroll, release and bam, you got a happy little longnote. This feature should be added!

Edit: there you go, have some stars.
Topic Starter
_underjoy
bump!
Reimo
I like/support this idead! Something like this would probably attract more new mappers/charters to the community instead of scaring them away. Heck, I might even try actually finishing a map if something like this gets implemented :D
Halogen-
For those arguing that live mapping gives acceptable rhythms: that's great and all, but the fact of the matter is that good mappers are going to have to continuously play and re-map sections that are intensive on pitch-relevance to ensure that their patterning is proper. And honestly, you really should never rely on something that is going to assume a quantize for a mania-based game, because in many instances, players are using 1/16 snap (and using it properly, I might add), and live mapping will not handle that correctly, plain and simple.

Having binded keys in addition to a mouse scroll is an absolutely fantastic idea and would streamline the editing process coupled with mouse and/or arrow key scrolling. Like Cuppp mentioned: you could drop notes at multiple times, and logic within the editor can be created to assume that you intend on placing a long note when the binded key is held down while a player moves the playfield. Fantastic idea, and I would literally throw every single star I had on it if I had any.

EDIT: if we could invert to vertical flip on the editor, modding would be so much easier for some of us, ugh... that's just a personal complaint, though.
Capuchon
i don't even really play mania / taiko. but more comfortable bindings for mapping are always nice :)
Topic Starter
_underjoy
bump
:)
Aqo
I love live mapping and also cuppp is very cute
Danshi_old_1
Maybe making mapping in general more understandable alone would help aswell.
ArcherLove
can't vote rip
bananannian
Taiko mapper here, to an extent I already map with binded keys: I Ctrl+C a don, so Ctrl+V would then be the binded key for don, and Ctrl+V+R would then be kat. Yup, it's as stupid as it sounds, but it's infinitely better than mousing in individual notes. Binded keys, perhaps those players use to play, for mapping would streamline the mapping process a TON.

Support for this! If this is implemented please have it for taiko as well :3
Seijiro
Not bad, this was one of the reasons why I'm not really fond of mapping mania in general. I would like to see it.
On a side note: from what I know, with osu!next there will also be a total (probably) revamp of the editor too. I dunno what peppy and the dev team have in mind but from those few screens they showed till now it doesn't look like something half-thought (at least that's what my mind wants to believe :P) so maybe let's wait and see, since it doesn't seem so far anymore
Cuppp
Bump
Topic Starter
_underjoy
bump(inho)
Colin
Yes
Jackie Chan
+1, this can speed up the process of mapping sooo much. The beatmap creators can go back and make adjustments to the fine details by snapping the notes to the grid aswell. It wouldn't hurt to put it in.