forum

Rank for Mouse and tablet [waiting]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
DessaChan
Well .. a few days ago I thought about it.
Because I think it's quite unfair since its
better to play with tablet then with mouse.
My point is... you should make a rank list for people who use mouse and
a list for people who use tablet :D
but also keep the normal rank list
So peppy what about it??

thats just a suggestion to. :P
YoshiKart
How would osu! recognize what input device you're using? People can just "join" the "mouse community" and use a tablet just so they can rank at the top.

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant about recognizing input devices. Unless peppy can code that (or it's already coded), then I'm stupid. :p

All in all, I think it's a good idea. Besides the input recognization problem, that is. I just wish I had a tablet. >_>
LuigiHann
Maybe not separate lists, but a little icon next to the scores to show whether it was mouse or tablet. That would help to dispel the myth that tablets are better :P
MaxwellDemon
This had been argued like tons of time... generally, I believe tablet gives you some edge between movement and such, but also a lot of drawback from it (tablet to screen coordination, arm needs to move a wider range, can't deal with stacks or deathstream very well, etc.)... while mouse might be a bit clumsy, but you are also a lot more stable when using it and you spin easier too.

Personal preferences, in my opinion, and I am a tablet/mouse user (I alternate between the two). XD

EDIT: Yeah, I agree with LuigiHann. XD I don't think this issue requires two separate list unless ALL top 50 is dominated by tablet users (which is clearly not the case). Maybe peppy could put a user preference of what input device the player is using though. XD
Potestas
That would be a good idea. But considering people can be just as good with the mouse as with the tablet, it wouldn't add much difference.
Also, how many people use the tablet? Don't think that many.

But I do thing we should make some handicap for people with bad mouses...

~Potestas
awp
The only advantage you get with using a tablet is spinning - because tablet-users spin tight circles (mouse-users can do this too; most of them just dont) they are not disoriented when there are notes immediately following spinners. There are drawbacks to the tablet that are not present with a mouse (your cursor suddenly freezing because you've moved too far away from the tablet surface) as well.

I see no need to separate mouse and tablet players. It would be similar to separating left-handed and right-handed players into their own categories.
Echo
If using tablet gives you an edge, why is our top ranked player a mouse-only player? and he doesn't even use z/x except for big stacks
Saturos
Rolled and myself are proof enough that mouse can match up to tablet. ;x
James
+ cecil, which can be as good as rolled?
Saturos
Cecil has basically quit. D:

I do think there should be some kind of indication of playstyle, though. Either in the form of a profile option or an icon as Luigi suggested. I grow tired of repeating my playstyle to the curious. ;x
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

Maybe not separate lists, but a little icon next to the scores to show whether it was mouse or tablet. That would help to dispel the myth that tablets are better :P
This is a good idea if automatic input device detection is used to determine the device. Also, the usage of keyboard z/x should be noted.

MaxwellDEemon wrote:

Maybe peppy could put a user preference of what input device the player is using though. XD
An option for mouse / tablet / mouse and table in the profile might be a nice little addition.
Nharox
I agree, a icon that shows with which type of control someone plays would be a nice (little) feature. Mouse only, Mouse + Spacebar/X/Z and tablet.

And I disagree that tablets are better. I'm doing pretty good ( :P ) with mouse + spacebar. The only good thing about tablets is that the spinning is easier.
Echo
Is zx "harder" than tablet?
machol30
I agree about it as option in the profile. I sort of use both tablet and keyboard. I (usually) use keyboard when the beats come fairly quickly (hi marsia... ), so...

- Mouse
- Mouse+keyboard
- Tablet
- Tablet+keyboard
- Touch Screen
Shirotora_old
Yeah, definitely tablet + keyboard. I'm surprised most people mention mouse, mouse + keyboard, and tablet... but not tablet + keyboard, while it's certainly needed for some songs if you don't want to end up not being able to use your (tablet-) hand at all for the rest of your life.
adamskii_uk

buraimaster1234 wrote:

I agree about it as option in the profile. I sort of use both tablet and keyboard. I (usually) use keyboard when the beats come fairly quickly (hi marsia... ), so...

- Mouse
- Mouse+keyboard
- Tablet
- Tablet+keyboard
- Touch Screen
You missed the following off the list, and probably some other less obvious input devices too such as the Wiimote.

- Touchpad
- Touchpad+Keyboard
- Trackball
- Trackball+Keyboard

I personally don't play Osu! with either of these input devices I have mentioned, but I'm sure there's some people that do. :)
chan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi

chan wrote:

I guess it would be more of a checklist for what you use, since people may switch between inputs.
Yeah, for the forum profile, but the other suggestion was to add a small icon next to each of your scores to show what method you used for that particular score. For this to work the game needs to automatically detect your input methods.
MaxwellDemon
The game don't generally detect what is the input though, I think? Seeing as tablet is registered as a mouse on the computer side instead of by osu's program. Keyboard + mouse or whatever is definitely plausible... but to detect what the input is seems a little unnecessary? I say just have the user pick what they use the common and have a little icon. That's it. XD
Gemi

MaxwellDemon wrote:

I say just have the user pick what they use the common and have a little icon. That's it. XD
But then you can't really associate the selected default input method with any scores since a single score might actually be with a nother input type. So if you only choose one, then it needs to be shown in the profile, but if the game can autodetect it then it can post the used method with the score.
show more