forum

TechKeys Business Card Tutorial

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shiroyuki
I've posted help on another thread regarding this but I don't think people want to keep inboxing me asking for custom configs and then being disappointed when they don't receive a reply. I forget to check my inbox a lot. Sorry.

Premade HEX Files

Before we go, I understand that humans are by nature, lazy creatures. So if you can't be bothered to download, edit and compile the source code, here are a couple of premade HEX files for you. You'll still have to flash it yourself though. I can't do everything for you :<

Keyboard Layout | File
[Z, X, ESC] | Orthodox
[ESC, Z, X] | Southpaw

So if you have a TechKeys Business Card and you're wondering how on earth to program it, you've come to the right place.

Please read this thoroughly before posting any questions. Feel free to email me at rei.kaneko17@gmail.com if you need extra help. I check that daily.

Preparation

You're going to need a couple of things for this.
- A Windows computer
- My modified TechKeys source code
- avr-gcc (It's rather large)
- Atmel Flip
- A small metal object capable of conducting electricity (You won't shock yourself or damage the circuitry)
- A mini USB cable for the card

Editing the Source Code

1. Extract the source code .zip and open main_techkeys.c in a notepad editor of your choice. I suggest Notepad++
2. Line 17 (uint8_t keys[] = {KESC, KZ, KX}; //Change keys here) is what you're looking for. The keys are ordered from left to right. Modify them to suit your needs.
3. Save the text file and close it.
Note: This is only for individual keys. You can't use macros with this.

Preparing to Compile

1. Extract avr-gcc.
2. Open the This PC if you're on Windows 8 and above, or My Computer for older versions.
3. Right click inside the main window on white space and select Properties.

4. Open Advanced System Settings on the left side.
5. Open Environment Variables.

6. Create a new User Variable called PATH. Copy and paste the path to the extracted avrgcc/bin folder

7. Press OK for both windows.

Compiling the Source Code

1. Launch Command Prompt. It's not necessary to Run as Administrator.
2. Type 'cd' followed by a space and the path to main_techkeys.c.

3. Type 'make' and wait for the process to finish. It should look a little like this.

Flashing the Source Code

1. Install and open Flip
2. Plug in your keyboard.
3. Short the keyboard by touching a metal object between the two solder pads. You should hear the 'Device Disconnected' sound. (Use a screwdriver or a bent paperclip)

Note: For further confirmation check Device Manager. The keyboard should come up under Other Devices.

4. Using device manager, right click the keyboard and select Update Driver Software
5. Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software
6. Copy and paste the path to Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb

7. Hit next and install all drivers.
8. Open Flip.
9. Press the top left icon of a computer chip. Select ATmega16U2.

10. Press OK and then press the USB cable icon next to the first one.
11. Select USB and hit Open
12. Go to File in the top left and select Load HEX File
13. Navigate to techkeys_source\bin and select ukbdc_techkeys-0.2_rc2.hex
14. Press Run.
15. Allow the process to finish, then unplug and replug the keyboard.

All done!

Conclusion

I understand that not a lot of people will use this guide, but I was pretty fed up with the lack of documentation and support regarding this particular keyboard for regular people who aren't coding geniuses so I simplified it. I hope I taught you something today!
If you liked my guide, give me a- I don't actually know. Give me a hug or something. I like cats, give me a cat.

Happy Streaming.
Shiroyuki