forum

[AIMod] BG Dimensions [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Rukario
Simple, AIMod checks if the BG has right dimension aka 800x600, 1024x768 or similar and if it isn't it will give a note that the BG has wrong dimensions and it should be changed/cropped/resized.

PS: used search and no similar request was found.
NotShinta
Support.
Derekku
At least something for the max allowed size would be fine.
Azure_Kite
I don't see anything wrong with this.

I was going to request something about AIMod detecting combobursts being flipped the wrong way around, too. But that's probably not very feasible.
blissfulyoshi
Support. It would be even better if AIMod could check the dimensions of all sb and skin elements.
Derekku

Azure_Kyte wrote:

I was going to request something about AIMod detecting combobursts being flipped the wrong way around, too. But that's probably not very feasible.
AIMod wouldn't be able to decide something like that, so no.
Azure_Kite
That's kinda why I said it wasn't feasible. if it could detect transparency along one column of pixels on the far right of an image, that would work. But it can't, and /offtopic.
Shohei Ohtani
Couldn't you just have it check to see if the BG is in a 4:3 aspect ratio? (For instance, if I want to use a 640x480 bg, then it won't go "lolgay"
peppy
Has anyone noticed yet that osu! already resizes backgrounds that are too large automatically?
Torran
Hopefully none of you are forgetting about BG's made especially for widescreen.
If not then you should know that such a 4:3 check is unnecessary.
osu! will simply resize the background to fit by height and the width of the BG is shown depending on the screen resolution.
That is, unless you're using the BG to represent the playing field, hm.
In that case, we would need a substitute...some kind of glowing line thingy or something...for widescreen modes.
Or am I misunderstanding this request?

Test Image: http://pe.ppy.sh/osubg1.jpg

NotShinta

CDFA wrote:

Couldn't you just have it check to see if the BG is in a 4:3 aspect ratio? (For instance, if I want to use a 640x480 bg, then it won't go "lolgay"
I thought that's what the request wanted.

Also I don't understand soradg's post...
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Has anyone noticed yet that osu! already resizes backgrounds that are too large automatically?
Then why has there been a restriction on the size of the background image?

I remember on several occasions that BAT members have asked mappers to downscale their 1280x1024/960 images to fit within 1024x768.

Perhaps this restriction has been removed and the mapper community doesn't know about it yet ...?
James2250
Does that mean backgrounds don't need to be below 1024x768 anymore or...?
peppy
There "has" been a manual restriction before this size limit was implemented. Now it is automatic.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

There "has" been a manual restriction before this size limit was implemented. Now it is automatic.
Not through a warning, but through an automatic loss of quality, I assume?
peppy
Why don't you just try it? There is a notice.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Why don't you just try it? There is a notice.
'Cus I don't have access to osu! at the moment. =[
Astom

peppy wrote:

And???
So you are saying than I can use a img of any size because osu is going to resize it... and the filesize ? and how much osu use of my computer to rescale the img? u_u
Obviously you can't use a img of any size because there are problems when you resize it (lost of quality, filesize, etc).
So why AIMod can't check size and filesize of all imgs in the song?

SUPPORT
peppy
I think you are somehow misunderstanding.
Gabi
God

Take any BG

Drag it into osu!

Profit (auto-resized, and change of format?)

Anyways, why don't you just deny this.
RandomJibberish
I still think AImod should check whether the bg is 4:3, which is what I thought this request was

dem black bars are ugly
FireballFlame
I'm against that. If you can't find/don't want a 4:3 background, you'd have to manually add bars, which would be stupid (and increase the file).

As for downscaling images, osu doing it for you is convenient, but I'd still recommend you do it yourself if you want to avoid quality loss.
anonymous_old

FireballFlame wrote:

If you can't find/don't want a 4:3 background, you'd have to manually add bars, which would be stupid (and increase the file).
What's wrong with cropping?
Astom

Gabi wrote:

God

Take any BG

Drag it into osu!

Profit (auto-resized, and change of format?)

Anyways, why don't you just deny this.
Because you can add a BG in another way. Design - > Insert Background -> Any img, resize? format? where?. Maybe add auto-resize and change of format to that way too?
Still add some features like size and filesize to AIMod is fine because you can use it in skin img's, that isn't the req. of this post but still is a good thing to add =P
Gabi

Astom wrote:

Because you can add a BG in another way. Design - > Insert Background -> Any img, resize? format? where?. Maybe add auto-resize and change of format to that way too?
Are you stupid? Have you even actually tried to insert a BG into a map?

Before you come and chat shit maybe you should try adding a BG yourself so you see how this works.

The only time the resizing won't work is when you manually add the BG to the song folder, but doing that is just stupid cause then you would have to enter the .osu and edit "//Background and Video events".
anonymous_old

Gabi wrote:

The only time the resizing won't work is when you manually add the BG to the song folder, but doing that is just stupid cause then you would have to enter the .osu and edit "//Background and Video events".
If you change the image file, it's not "stupid" because you don't need to edit the .osu file.
Gabi
edit: whatever, the point is you should do it through osu! editor so it's correct
Astom

Gabi wrote:

Are you stupid? Have you even actually tried to insert a BG into a map? Yea with "Insert Background" in design the resize and change of format not always affect the img when you do that.

Before you come and chat shit (where?) maybe you should try adding a BG yourself so you see how this works. Maybe you need try how I insert a BG because a lot of people do that and don't drag the img in osu, and that's why a lot of songs have problems with they BG's files

The only time the resizing won't work is when you manually add the BG to the song folder, but doing that is just stupid cause then you would have to enter the .osu and edit "//Background and Video events". why you need enter in .osu? you can select a different BG in design.
Maybe you didn't notice who is the real stupid here.
Derekku
Stop flaming each other. You can PM me if you have something constructive to add to this thread.

I haven't looked at much of this thread (I didn't even know that the editor can automatically resize background images), but I'll add my thoughts once I look into this (though it seems like it's pretty much already denied).