forum

Team Fortress 2

posted
Total Posts
show more
Remco32

-Mantis- wrote:

I don't really understand why Valve did this, it's completely useless to make it free.
To make money? Any potential buyer bought TF2 by now.
WhoAteFred
Standard F2P MMO logic. More players=more people wanting to buy useless overpriced stuff.
-Mantis-

adam2046 wrote:

It's the same game.
But not the same players.
Casuals will flood tf2 and hardcore players will play something else.

adam2046

-Mantis- wrote:

Pffthahaha
Remco32

-Mantis- wrote:

adam2046 wrote:

It's the same game.
But not the same players.
[attachment=0:c4dd5]Cirno wat klein.png[/attachment:c4dd5]
If you mean with casuals players who are having fun and hardcore tourneyfags, don't we all benefit?
-Mantis-

Remco32 wrote:

If you mean with casuals players who are having fun and hardcore tourneyfags, don't we all benefit?
I don't said that being a casual or a hardcore gamer is something bad, i just mean that the game will getting worse because of alle this people who are just like "hurr durr, a free game, must play, derp". These people are likely to play it for some days, doing some shit in this time and leave it after that period to never play it again. And after some time the game will only have this players because others will get tired of their misbehavior. I don't say it will be that extreme, but the game will definetly suffer from a loss of quality.

WhoAteFred
Honestly, all it takes are admins on servers to kick/ban unwanted players. All this makes it so more idiots come in. Also, the tf2 community wasn't exactly superb before this.
Remco32

-Mantis- wrote:

Remco32 wrote:

I don't said that being a casual or a hardcore gamer is something bad, i just mean that the game will getting worse because of alle this people who are just like "hurr durr, a free game, must play, derp". These people are likely to play it for some days, doing some shit in this time and leave it after that period to never play it again. And after some time the game will only have this players because others will get tired of their misbehavior. I don't say it will be that extreme, but the game will definetly suffer from a loss of quality.
[attachment=0:8cc5e]1294356359001 klein.png[/attachment:8cc5e]
I don't think the premium folks will quit. And only now there will be a massive amount of new players due to it just getting F2P. After a while, the influx of new players will be significantly lower, and people will be less bothered by newbies not knowing the ropes yet.
Also, stop posting random reactionimages at the end of each post. It's really annoying and unfitting on an internetforum. Go spam /v/ if you really have some kind of quota of reactionimages you must post.

WhoAteFred wrote:

Honestly, all it takes are admins on servers to kick/ban unwanted players. All this makes it so more idiots come in. Also, the tf2 community wasn't exactly superb before this.
I never experienced the TF2 community to be as bad as CS:S. I mostly play on European servers, so that might affect my opinion on the community.
-Mantis-

Remco32 wrote:

Also, stop posting random reactionimages at the end of each post. It's really annoying and unfitting on an internetforum. Go spam /v/ if you really have some kind of quota of reactionimages you must post.
I don't see any rules which forbid posting reaction images and I always keep them really small, so where is your problem? As long as i don't post huge images which disturb and distract everyone from reading the thread, it's not a problem in my opinion.
Deal with it 8-)

Remco32

-Mantis- wrote:

Remco32 wrote:

I don't see any rules which forbid posting reaction images and I always keep them really small, so where is your problem? As long as i don't post huge images which disturb and distract everyone from reading the thread, it's not a problem in my opinion.
There's no rule against it, but it's fucking annoying.
Deal with it 8-)
XDXDXDXD!
-Mantis-

Remco32 wrote:

There's no rule against it, but it's fucking annoying.

Because it fits so well here. :3
Randy96
Spy is hard ;_;, but getting that one back-stab after countless deaths is pretty invigorating
WhoAteFred

Remco32 wrote:

WhoAteFred wrote:

I never experienced the TF2 community to be as bad as CS:S. I mostly play on European servers, so that might affect my opinion on the community.
I was mostly reffering to the TF2 forums, where everyone complains all the time. Obviously, each server would have it's own community.
Remco32

WhoAteFred wrote:

I was mostly reffering to the TF2 forums, where everyone complains all the time. Obviously, each server would have it's own community.
Ah, that would be the Tourneyfags complaining about weapons they will ban from their tournaments anyway. Since they are too full of themselves to play with the regular crowd (pubs), they only play with other tourneyfags. It's not really a problem you'll encounter during the game itself.
awp
There's a rule along the lines of "don't be a dick" and there's a rule against spamming (in this case, worthless images that consume bandwidth)

it doesn't add substance to the post, so don't do it often
-Mantis-

awp wrote:

There's a rule along the lines of "don't be a dick" and there's a rule against spamming (in this case, worthless images that consume bandwidth)
Being a dick was never my intention, i just like posting pictures with my post.
Also it's not my plan to spam them, if i post pics, i keep them small like 50-150 kb.

awp wrote:

it doesn't add substance to the post, so don't do it often
I will think about it, before i post one, but don't get mad at me, when i do :3

awp
No, what I meant was, stop doing it.

The bandwidth issue is especially sensitive to mobile phones, where service providers have a particularly high data rate (such as a dollar a MB). The other half about it being completely unnecessary and pointless is more of an appeal for decency.

I am tempted to say "do it again and your posting privs will be suspended", but on the other hand I might make it interesting and flip a coin for each post you attach a pointless image to, so there's a 50% chance you get away with it. I'd sweeten the deal with a die roll but I don't have one
-Mantis-

awp wrote:

The bandwidth issue is especially sensitive to mobile phones, where service providers have a particularly high data rate (such as a dollar a MB). The other half about it being completely unnecessary and pointless is more of an appeal for decency.
Sorry, i still don't see your problem. I don't know how many people are browsing trough this forum using a mobile phone, but i guess they aren't many. Also i don't know anyone who don't have a flatrate nowadays. So posting them isn't a problem in my opinion, beside of shitting on peppys server maybe what is not really happening with such small pictures.
Being pointless, on the other side, is depending on your personal view. If i post a picture it's meant to have sense, that's why you call it reaction picture. It should not annoy people, but enforce my statement.

awp wrote:

I am tempted to say "do it again and your posting privs will be suspended", but on the other hand I might make it interesting and flip a coin for each post you attach a pointless image to, so there's a 50% chance you get away with it. I'd sweeten the deal with a die roll but I don't have one
Well, then i have to go to random imageboards to ragespam my animepictures there.
Gens
Ugh, I give up, I can't play with like 15fps all the time. All this time I've been just entering a server to kill a few people and capture some intels, then get killed constantly without being able to do anything due to players entering and filling the server (more players make my fps get pretty low). It's pretty frustrating.

I'll definitely start saving for a new computer one of these days.
-Mantis-

Gens wrote:

Ugh, I give up, I can't play with like 15fps all the time. All this time I've been just entering a server to kill a few people and capture some intels, then get killed constantly without being able to do anything due to players entering and filling the server (more players make my fps get pretty low). It's pretty frustrating.

That's exactly what was happening to me, when i tried to play battlefield 2 for the first time.
feels bad ;_;
WhoAteFred
You can always try a FPS config.
awp

Gens wrote:

Yours must be really outdated. My old Dimension 8400 had a Radeon Sapphire x1950 in it, and it was able to run TF2 fairly well.

On the other hand the largest games I played had like 8 to 10 people in it and usually played with around 6
Remco32
You guys are having trouble running Source games? I remember maxing HL2ep2 on the PC I'm now using as a mediacentre. (Pent4 3Ghz, 1,5GB RAM, 7600GT). That thing is from ~2003.

Tried running it on the lowest settings on the lowest resolution?
Tried playing in smaller servers?
Topic Starter
NoHitter
So I was browsing my servers list when I clicked on my Favorites tab.
All freaking servers were full.
All other servers I that aren't full have >150 ping.

(Yeah it's sad that the only TF2 servers in the Philippines are down, and all the Starhub-E-Club servers are full now >.>)
Tatsuo
Should I open another server for just osu! players? Who thinks this is a good idea, and who would actually play on that server.

osu! Team Fortress 2 day!
Shiirn
I totally would, but I have the steam.dll bug and need to wait for a valvepatch.
-Mantis-

I_Tatsuo_I wrote:

Should I open another server for just osu! players? Who thinks this is a good idea, and who would actually play on that server.

osu! Team Fortress 2 day!
Do it! I definitely will join on your server, if you got one.
Remco32
Anyone tried the Soda Popper already? How is it?
roleykatsu

-Mantis- wrote:

Making servers on TF2 are easy afaik o.o

However I wonder if servers can customized the way some servers are where you can instantaneously respond rather than waiting like 20 seconds to respawn
Bestelle

Roley wrote:

-Mantis- wrote:

Making servers on TF2 are easy afaik o.o

However I wonder if servers can customized the way some servers are where you can instantaneously respond rather than waiting like 20 seconds to respawn
Instant respawn is pretty lame. I prefer stock time myself.
Topic Starter
NoHitter
That's why I play Arena. No respawning 8-)
Shiirn
The only people that complain about respawn times are the people that spend more time waiting to respawn than playing.

Namely, people who die like flies.
Neo@lex
I'd just like to interject for a moment. Long respawn times are fine, but fuck arena.
Team Fortress 2 uses a class based system, giving different classes different merits for the purpose of balance in prolonged gameplay.
Engineer for example is designed for remote camping; creating a sentry and running away or hiding. In the objective-based gamemodes, Engineers can keep a sentry alive after dieing multiple times, providing constant defense support at the cost of being overall a shit class. In Arena mode, it's all over when you die, meaning Engineers have to build a sentry, run away and somehow stay alive with a low short-range DPS and completely useless long-range weapons.
Heavy, with his retarded DPS, self-healing and bullshit melee range, has absolutely nothing to fear other than Spies and Snipers.
Spy, although being effective in most scenarios, becomes blatantly obvious the very moment he kills anyone. Once people know there's a Spy around, they're gonna rape him within seconds, whereas in objective modes one can switch to Spy, get about ten kills in the confusion, then switch to any other class and continue pushing or defending.
Pyro is OP in 1-on-1 against every class other than Heavy, and without the constant team distribution that the objective modes offer, it's gonna become really hard to kill a Pyro when there's only 4 players left. If however one of them is a Sniper with decent positioning, all it has to do aim at the head and click for an insta-kill.

tl;dr other than broken classes like Pyro, Spy and Engie, Arena is basically a game of rock-paper-scissors with hats.
Topic Starter
NoHitter
Actually that's one problem in Arena.
The server I'm playing in "fixes" this by limiting the players to 6.
Though there are still imbalances.

Heavies for once are frowned upon.
Engies and their sentries are fine, but if a team has too much, people will rage.
Spies are easier to kill and detect since there are less players.
Pyro is not imba in arena.

Edit:
Arena is like Rock Paper Scissors. That's why you have to balance classes.
Jinxy
And all that is why I play Dodgeball and Prop Hunt instead :P

I've never bothered about respawn times, but I play insta respawn when I'm bored and since I'm bored, I just charge on as a scout or something and die.
roleykatsu

RL Link wrote:

I don't like Instant respawn either. I just know there are some servers that have them which makes me wonder if that's a customize-able feature when making servers in-game.
Remco32

Roley wrote:

RL Link wrote:

I don't like Instant respawn either. I just know there are some servers that have them which makes me wonder if that's a customize-able feature when making servers in-game.
You can change it to instaspawn in the server.cfg , yeah.
Insta-respawn ruins the balance. Good luck trying to capture the last point if the enemy you just killed spawned 5 seconds away from you.
Let alone those premium bullshit servers with 32 players and insta-spawn.
Mara

PINES

EDIT:
Bestelle

Neo@lex wrote:

tl;dr other than broken classes like Pyro.
You have no idea how hard I just laughed.
Mara
show more