forum

FMA: Original vs. Brotherhood

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Benlothar
The two series about the Elric brothers and their epic quest for the philosopher's stone.

Personally i prefer the original. I dont really enjoy the more shounen centered style in brotherhood and i generally think that when it comes to scenes or story arks that the two versions share, the original shows them in a more serious way (even if it doesnt always follow the manga) which i personally find more enjoyable.

What's your oppinion?
Do you like the original, brotherhood or maybe both?
Green Platinum
Brotherhood did much better in orchestrating it's conspiracy and world building in general. I also think the ending is much better in Brotherhood.
deadbeat
i'm glad i read the manga, otherwise i might of continued liking the original anime. it's terrible compared to the manga version. i'm glad they remade the anime to follow the actual story :p
Gumpy

Green Platinum wrote:

Brotherhood did much better in orchestrating it's conspiracy and world building in general. I also think the ending is much better in Brotherhood.
Brotherhood did rush the start a bit though compared to the original anime.
I enjoyed both, watched the old one first and brotherhood afterwards. Though Brotherhood is better i'm also rewatching it atm.
Green Platinum

Gumpyyy wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Brotherhood did rush the start a bit though compared to the original anime.
I enjoyed both, watched the old one first and brotherhood afterwards. Though Brotherhood is better i'm also rewatching it atm.
I'm not surprised they'd rush to the point they diverge since at the time the assumption would have been the majority of the audience has seen the original or read the manga.
Piine
It's recommended to watch the original then Brotherhood. I did so and to be honest, I enjoyed both equally.
Jazz
I think you should use the year of the release of the first FMA Anime instead of "Original" since "Original" can mean a different thing considering that Brotherhood was the one who followed the plot of the manga (which is the original story).

Both had its own good qualities, for one I actually liked how they made the backstory of the Homunculus in the 2003 anime. Since afaik the backstory of the Homunculus' was not yet revealed in the manga while the anime was being aired I liked how they improvised it to the Homunculus' being the result of them doing the Human Transmutation.
_Latte
All I have to say is that Brotherhood followed the manga much better than the original.
Topic Starter
Benlothar

Lollipop860 wrote:

All I have to say is that Brotherhood followed the manga much better than the original.
Personally i dont see that as a bad thing. I preferred the ending of 2003 over brotherhood and the manga anyway.
Green Platinum
Yeah, why does following the manga make something immediately better? Is every manga absolutely perfect?
Hidden-

Green Platinum wrote:

Yeah, why does following the manga make something immediately better? Is every manga absolutely perfect?
Nah, it's their hipster way to say I read the manga, but honestly, sometime animes are made to promote the manga and when I go to read the manga, I just realize my mistake, I should have just stayed with the anime.

To be honest, in my opinion, manga fails over animes(by fails I don't mean it's trash compared to but that animes successfully represent it in an equivalent if not better way), of course in a lot of case they are their originators but sometime it's easier to be more precise on something when you can represent it with music, interpretation and as most of them are made in collaboration with the author, he can be there to make sure the interpretation is as accurate as it can be.

but in the end I think Light novel would be one of the best way to the absolute, but once again there's exceptions. Like I said, interpretation and music can make a whole lots, otherwise, in light novel you usually have more details than manga, which also prone accuracy of the thing. I would go as a general rule
LN>Anime>Manga
There's exception and it's also a matter of personal opinion.
deadbeat

Green Platinum wrote:

there have been times where the anime has been better than the manga(hello Darker than Black), but in the case of Full Metal Alchemist, i much preferred the story in the manga than the original anime. simple as that
Apex_old
untitled
Justykanna
Actually didn't realize how old this thread is. If I saw it when someone published it, I would have commented back then. Anyways.

Green Platinum wrote:

I have a few friends who think this and it bugs me a lot. Just because an anime diverges from the manga (a little to a lot), doesn't make it bad. Why don't people just judge them separately.

The 2003 was good. Someone else mentioned it, but I really like that the monoculous had a backstory to them. I wasn't in love with it, but I still liked it. Except for the ending, which I didn't enjoy at all.

Brotherhood was amazing to me though. It's my number one anime right now. The visuals, story and voicework are all awesome - I really like Vic Mignogna's work for some reason. I will admit the start of the story does feel rushed but it didn't shock me at all considering the start's basically the same as the 2003 anime version.