forum

Future issues from playing osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ironsoul27
Now this is something that has been a recurring problem in the osu community and I feel it needs to be addressed. A lot of players over long progressions of time have developed wrist and arm problems, such as damaging of the nerves and RSI. This can be caused by playing in a bad position for a long amount of time and can also be caused by over-stressing your fingers from too much gameplay. It could affect anyone at any time and could essentially mean the end of your time as an osu player.

I am writing this thread as a reminder to people, and hoping that this issue is taken seriously so a proper method of safe habits can be shown to the osu community as there is little understanding for current and new players who are unaware of this issue.

How to avoid future issues
All new players who start their beat clicking journey establish habits of game play which can change over time, but they usually stick with those habits in order to keep their experience consistent. This is usually fine but sometimes you'll get stuck in a bad habit and don't feel like changing it because 1. You either don't realise the habit isn't good for you or 2. You have grown accustomed to this habit so you don't like the idea of changing it. One such bad habit is when you play with your keyboard and/or tablet/mouse right near the edge of the desk. This makes your arms bend inwards which can lead to muscle strains and/or nerve damages up your arms and fingers. The ideal playing position is with your mouse/tablet about 20 cm from the edge of your desk (or somewhere around there whatever feels comfortable), the same follows for your keyboard.

Another bad habit of osu players is something pretty common *YOU PLAY TOO MUCH!* Most players tend to play for large amounts of time without taking any sort of breaks to rest their fingers. While it's fine and all to play the game a lot, it becomes a bad habit when you play for too long without any breaks so you can let your muscles relax after hitting too many circles.

I was recently diagnosed with RSI and it made me want to help other people not go through the same pain that I am currently going through
Green Platinum
The idiots getting 'RSI' aren't on the forums.
Topic Starter
Ironsoul27

Green Platinum wrote:

The idiots getting 'RSI' aren't on the forums.
XD and I knew you would show up first, hows it going GP

Anyway's my point is to try and make this known past the forums and out into the wider community, such as on the official website where it would attract the most attention.
Emayecue
Being an old man with history of arthritis in my family, I took good note of your advice :)

Thank you!
Topic Starter
Ironsoul27

Emayecue wrote:

Being an old man with history of arthritis in my family, I took good note of your advice :)

Thank you!
It's this sort of thing that shows the lack of realisation on how big an issue this is

If your not going to be helpful or supportive of this issue then please don't post any of your bad comments
A Medic
Too busy on forums to get RSI.
Emayecue

Ironsoul27 wrote:

It's this sort of thing that shows the lack of realisation on how big an issue this is

If your not going to be helpful or supportive of this issue then please don't post any of your bad comments
My bad, and I was actually really thanking you!!

I rarely take things seriously, blame me for that it's alright.

Ironsoul27 wrote:

... so a proper method of safe habits can be shown to the osu community as there is little understanding for current and new players who are unaware of this issue.
Maybe it would be better if you would actually provide us with it? Since you seem to be well on touch with the subject, I'm sure we could all benefit from a nice indepth explication of what you mean.
Topic Starter
Ironsoul27

Emayecue wrote:

Ironsoul27 wrote:

My bad, and I was actually really thanking you!!

I rarely take things seriously, blame me for that it's alright.

Ironsoul27 wrote:

... so a proper method of safe habits can be shown to the osu community as there is little understanding for current and new players who are unaware of this issue.
Maybe it would be better if you would actually provide us with it? Since you seem to be well on touch with the subject, I'm sure we could all benefit from a nice indepth explication of what you mean.
Sorry I took what you said the wrong way :c

Main post has been updated, if anyone would like to help add to it with their own knowledge that would be great :)
Emayecue

Ironsoul27 wrote:

Main post has been updated, if anyone would like to help add to it with their own knowledge that would be great :)
Why thank you.

Actually that was quite interesting to read.

I actually do have pain, usually in my right shoulder, after playing for a while. It is one of the reason why I believe I need to get a tablet ASAP.

Being left handed, as of now the best way for me to play is to mouse with my right, and click with left, unfortunately my right arm is not really quite used to that much work and precision.

I believe that the day I'll start to use pen with my left and click with my right will be much much better for me, but for the time being, basically I just handle the pain.

I probably didn't even play enough to be eligible for that kind of issues, but perhaps because I'm quite a bit older than most people who play, the pain and the strain comes much more quickly.

I've already adjusted many of my settings in order to be more comfortable than I was at the beginning, it allowed me to complete slightly more difficult map, but it did not help me with the general strain in my right arm.

So yea, very interesting information, I'll definately keep reading about it.

I wish you the best, and I hope you recover well. :)
Gumpy

Emayecue wrote:

Ironsoul27 wrote:

I actually do have pain, usually in my right shoulder, after playing for a while. It is one of the reason why I believe I need to get a tablet ASAP.
Getting a tablet won't help with your shoulder.
Emayecue

Gumpyyy wrote:

But I think it will, mainly because I will be able to switch arms.

By using pen and tablet with my left arm instead of the mouse with my right, it will relieve a lot of stress from my bad arm, at least that's what I figured.

Does just clicking with my right cause the same amount of strain than moving the mouse with it? I assumed it would not.
Topic Starter
Ironsoul27

Emayecue wrote:

Ironsoul27 wrote:

Emayecue wrote:

Why thank you.

Actually that was quite interesting to read.

Being left handed, as of now the best way for me to play is to mouse with my right, and click with left, unfortunately my right arm is not really quite used to that much work and precision.

I believe that the day I'll start to use pen with my left and click with my right will be much much better for me, but for the time being, basically I just handle the pain.

I probably didn't even play enough to be eligible for that kind of issues, but perhaps because I'm quite a bit older than most people who play, the pain and the strain comes much more quickly.

I've already adjusted many of my settings in order to be more comfortable than I was at the beginning, it allowed me to complete slightly more difficult map, but it did not help me with the general strain in my right arm.

So yea, very interesting information, I'll definately keep reading about it.

I wish you the best, and I hope you recover well. :)
Thank you very much :)

Emayecue wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

But I think it will, mainly because I will be able to switch arms.

By using pen and tablet with my left arm instead of the mouse with my right, it will relieve a lot of stress from my bad arm, at least that's what I figured.

Does just clicking with my right cause the same amount of strain than moving the mouse with it? I assumed it would not.
It depends on how bad your arm feels when clicking, normally tapping alot with your bad arm would put more stress on it then moving a mouse
You should be fine if you aren't playing insane or high bpm maps though
Emayecue
As much as I am amazed at the talent of people playing those high bpm maps, I don't see myself getting there in any foreseable future, so I should be good then :)
sottovoce
As long as you aren't playing long stream maps or maps outside your BPM range, I'd definitely say moving the mouse/tablet is more strenuous. Especially for those of us that use full/near full area on high res.
Host Change
This is definitely something I've been starting to worry a bit about. I play a lot of video games (not osu in particular, though I have enjoyed this game a lot as of late) and sometimes I have hand pain/arm weakness after playing too much. The main thing is I'm pretty competitive at anything I touch, so all the stressful/repetitive movement adds up over time on my body. Recently I went on a rampage playing a ton of League for about 3 months and started getting symptoms so I had to stop playing all the time. RSI isn't something to be taken lightly.
uuuu
Sticky this maybe,it's very useful.