forum

New Slider Type [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Feno_old
Right, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I would love a new type of slider, I'll try and explain.

Basically it would be like a repeat slider, but after it hits the second circle, instead of going back the same route it could be shaped to go a different way.
So I could make a "bounce" slider I guess it could be called, it would be shaped like a V and point 1 would be the start of the V, the second circle would be the bottom, and it would then curve to the right and end at the right tip.

I hope my horrible explanation was enough to get my point across, if not I'll try and explain in further detail. ^^
0_o
This idea is been brought up a couple times (here, here), but there hasn't really been a definitive answer from peppy about it (recently at least)
Personally I think it has potential.
James2250
I think it is a good idea if used right...or a very bad idea otherwise
RandomJibberish
I disagree with this. You can just make a V shaped slider and it functions much the same (apart from it looking horrible but it wouldn't really look any better with circle over the bend)
Gabi
I though i requested this a loooooong time ago, but it might have been in IRC

@randomjibberish

The point of this is to be able to do a slider like this "0--0----0" while "0 = slider start/end/reverse point" and "- = slider slide". (hopefully you understand that)

also this serves as an extra hitsound so you don't have to storyboard it or put the sound on a slidertick which makes it sound awful.

support
RandomJibberish
Surely to do that even with this feature you'd need to have a near impossible to read self overlapping slider

and if you need a hitsound in the middle of a slider don't make it a slider. Hitsounds should follow the music, so if, for example, your consistent claps are a prominent part of your map it shouldn't be that unfitting to have a hitobject of some kind everywhere you want a clap >_>
Hanyuu
i really like this idea !
djyellow22
I really would like to see this happen!
Derekku
I still don't see why you can't just make the slider that way instead of adding the repeat. It's not that hard to add inherited sections with a custom hitsound for cases like this. It seems silly for peppy to have to code a bunch of stuff (as this would be a big change) just for small uses like this.
Gabi
What way? shaping it like a V? I don't think you realise the potential this kind of slider would have. On top of that, it wouldn't hurt to get some new stuff to the editor/mappers to play with ^^

and if you need a hitsound in the middle of a slider don't make it a slider.
Don't ever talk to me again.
Derekku
@Gabi: I see the potential, but I don't see how it's necessary. Plus, it would completely change gameplay from Ouendan-style to something new.
Gabi
So osu! is an Ouendan clone sure, but that doesn't mean it has to be exactly like Ouendan. While osu! is based on Ouendan, giving osu! it's own unique features would make the game much better. I've already mentioned a few times why this could be a good feature request, but if you still feel like this isn't a necessary feature that's fine, i guess you just don't map as much as the rest of us do.
Derekku

Gabi wrote:

i guess you just don't map as much as the rest of us do.
Excuse me? =|

Lemmie see if I understand this request right, again (with pictures).

(2) would be a repeat arrow with that slider being able to go anywhere (with any length) instead of back to (1), correct?

With some skin editing to remove default-2, we get this:

If that's right, then why can't one just make the slider like this?

Repeat arrows have been universally accepted by ouendan/eba/osu! players to make the slider go back to its starting point. Changing that behavior would be confusing (to say the least).
Zerostarry
I'm with Derekku on this one... I don't really like gameplay related feature requests, I think osu! should stay true to OTO.
RandomJibberish
It doesn't help that that second image looks even more horrible than the third one
Gabi
Derekku i get that you are trying to say this is unnecessary, but if you aren't going to bother to read my earlier posts than i cbf discussing this with you, im out.
Derekku

Gabi wrote:

Derekku i get that you are trying to say this is unnecessary, but if you aren't going to bother to read my earlier posts than i cbf discussing this with you, im out.
I have read your posts, but you've yet to convince me why this should be added. I'm all for adding new features (even if they weren't in the original games), but this is just... *sigh*.

Let me try explaining again since apparently you're not reading my posts:

For the sake of making a slider go in a different direction: This can easily already be done (by my example on the last page).
For the sake of making one side of a slider longer than the first side: Again, can easily be done with one slider.
For the sake of being able to easily hitsound the "repeat" of the slider: Can easily be done with inherited sections and a custom hitsound.

You're wanting peppy/other devs to code something confusing like this just to make things "simpler" that can ALREADY be done simply? You're making no sense, Gabi, and seem to think that I'm against this just because "I don't want to add new features that weren't in Ouendan."

I'm denying this until I see that it is actually useful.

PS: This isn't anything against you, Feno.
Torran
Suppor-

Nevermind.

This had potential...

mm201
I could see a really cheap lazy hack for this working by removing the scoring point from the head of special sliders.

That doesn't mean I agree with the idea :P
Derekku
Very nice/specific example, soradg; I'm intrigued. However, my opinion overall still stands: They're basically overlapping/semi-burai/confusing sliders that can already be done in a less-confusing way.
Gabi

Derekku wrote:

Gabi wrote:

You're wanting peppy/other devs to code something confusing like this just to make things "simpler" that can ALREADY be done simply? You're making no sense, Gabi, and seem to think that I'm against this just because "I don't want to add new features that weren't in Ouendan."

I'm denying this until I see that it is actually useful.

PS: This isn't anything against you, Feno.
Lets just get this straight, you can currently NOT do something similar like this unless you use SB/slider point hitsounds (and that still wouldn't come close to the current feature request). And for some reason you keep thinking that a slider has to be shaped like a V for this feature? that is so not it, it can be a straight line (soradg made a pretty nice video of it) or it can go in whatever direction it wants. They are not overlapping or burai like at all unless you actually place them so they overlap.

It's funny that YOU are denying this untill YOU see it usefull? there is a whole community out there that has a voice, but i guess you can overrule them all? Let some actual devs have something to say about this seeing as they are the ones who can decide if they want to code this or not.

I'm not going to put words in peppy's mouth, but i know that he has thought of a feature like this before as it has been discussed before.
James2250
Although I admit that video did look pretty cool and maybe it was denied slightly too soon Gabi try and be more respectful to Derekku...or this thread will have to be locked for inappropriate behavior
Derekku

Gabi wrote:

And for some reason you keep thinking that a slider has to be shaped like a V for this feature?.
I don't. I was just using the V shape as an example (although soradg's video pretty much blew my thoughts out of the water).

Gabi wrote:

I'm not going to put words in peppy's mouth, but i know that he has thought of a feature like this before as it has been discussed before.
One of the aforementioned threads was from 2007. Who even knows if red node slider control points were possible then to make linear sliders like the thread asked for. The second linked thread where MM posted an example is also a bit strange, but whatever.

Gabi wrote:

It's funny that YOU are denying this untill YOU see it usefull? there is a whole community out there that has a voice, but i guess you can overrule them all?
It almost seems that you think your opinion is higher. I try to keep these forums clear of duplicate and "no way in hell" requests. I may not be perfect, but I definitely don't think that my opinion is higher than any others'. Though, I do think I have at least a decent understanding of what peppy would or would not add, and this request (especially with its lack of practical examples) was included.

Gabi wrote:

Let some actual devs have something to say about this seeing as they are the ones who can decide if they want to code this or not.
Check out my sticky for this forum. Remember that there are dozens upon dozens of feature requests, and peppy (plus the other devs) really don't have the time to look at them all let alone start implementing. This is why I take time out of my own life to sort through things like this. Apparently, though, you don't appreciate that and resort to attacking me instead.

I'll leave this unlocked @James, since this hasn't gotten that out-of-hand.
Gabi
wow.. incredible

Just so you know, what i'm pointing out is to give the community a chance to voice themselves, seeing as this is a pretty big feature compared to features like "i want channels to be highlighted!". I have no power to do anything, but you do, and with that comes responsibility. If you want to keep these forums clean, then that's fine, but this is a rather unique feature compared to other features.

Also you say that one of those threads were from 2007, and there might not have been red node points, but hell maybe that's the reason why it was planned in the feature and not implemented back then?

Anyways i'm sick of this, do whatever you want now, it's not like i can do anything anyway except getting a headache from this.
mm201

Gabi wrote:

actual devs
Disagree</troll>