forum

Laptop keyboards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lex TheGayOtter
Has anyone tried using a basic laptop keyboard for osu? Is it any good or would I need to buy some form of USB keypad or the osu keypad for playing osu on the go?
Roxy Lalonde
I play with a laptop keyboard. I've never had any issues with it, keys are pretty light for streaming and anything else.
ZenithPhantasm
Are you talking about chiclet keys or one of those fold up keyboards that comes with tablet PCs?
A Medic
Most laptop keyboards are fine for playing osu.

In the future you may want to purchase a mechanical keyboard depending on how much you like this game/type.
trebby
For some reason I can never get the correct timing when using laptop keyboards, but it seems fine for other people. I think I'm just used to my red switches.
StephOsu

Proph Nobster wrote:

I play with a laptop keyboard. I've never had any issues with it, keys are pretty light for streaming and anything else.

CuboidBeats wrote:

For some reason I can never get the correct timing when using laptop keyboards, but it seems fine for other people. I think I'm just used to my red switches.
mechanical keyboard has different input compare to rubber dome keyboard after all
rubber dome register after a full press while mechanical register right after you press so the timing is actually different
ZenithPhantasm
Mechs actuate halfway. How long it takes to register depends on actuation distance and how fast the kb can process the signal.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Mechs actuate halfway. How long it takes to register depends on actuation distance and how fast the kb can process the signal.
Scissor switches actuation distance is <= mech actuation distance. The biggest difference is that with scissor switches you always bottom out and that the actuation force necessary is typically somewhere between a green and a black.

So aside from bottoming out (which you often do on a mech keyboard anyways) the only distinct disadvantage is the lifetime of the switch. Mechanical switches are rated for something like 50million keypresses whereas a scissor switch is more like 5-10million.

Thus, due to lifetime of keyswitch it's simply "nice" to have a mechanical keyboard and doesn't give any particular gameplay advantages (things such as high vs. low actuation force, tactile switches, etc. are all highly debatable).