forum

How do I improve on a map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chriscbj
i can play a map 1000 times ( not rspamming etry, like 10-20 times per day ) and after a week i still can't pass it consistently ( dispel and masterpiece )
how do i improve on them?
i keep dying at the beginning squares at masterpiece no matter how many times i play :?
i can pass dispel but not consistently, have to try really hard to pass it
Vuelo Eluko
not to be the bearer of bad news but you're probably screwed on those specific maps. i have a lot of similar examples of maps i overplayed before i could completely understand how to play them and now when they should be easy enough to even attempt fcs on i barely pass.

negative muscle memory is almost impossible to overcome on those kinds of maps

i recommend not touching those maps for a long long time, inject some variance into your map pool then come back to them much later.
Risa

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

negative muscle memory is almost impossible to overcome on those kinds of maps
The same thing happened to me for bigblack, shuffle heaven, united and -euphoria-
For some reason i just cannot play them at all

So i guess the best thing to do is to not touch them for a long long time
Topic Starter
chriscbj
could the problem be bpm? dispel is 200 bpm and i do badly on most songs above 200 bpm
dung eater
concentrate on understanding how you should play what appears on the screen (timing and position of hits)

concentrate on hitting circles in the middle

concentrate on tapping to the beat accurately

play other maps, memorize patterns that give you trouble (after you play them, even if you couldn't read them, you will start to be able to read them slowly). do small steps, don't just swing cursor around without trying to know how you should swing your cursor and trying to swing your cursor just like that, same with tapping
Reyvateil

chriscbj wrote:

could the problem be bpm? dispel is 200 bpm and i do badly on most songs above 200 bpm
It might be the following:

1 - You don't know how to deal with patterns (mainly square patterns), both maps are very pattern heavy with large spacing.
2 - Like jesusfan said, you developed bad habits while playing these two specific maps.

I believe it's mostly the first since you meant these two specific maps. As advice for reading square or other patterns, it becomes easier if you read each note individually instead of reading the pattern as a whole, which at the beginning is hard to do as you have to force yourself to learn to read notes individually all around. And this is even harder to do at lower approach rates, which might be killing you in Masterpiece.
leepdesu
Don't play that map for a few days then come back bigger and stronger.
GoldenWolf
You developed bad habits on those maps because you are unable to read them properly, so you played them while reading wrong, over and over again, until the point where you can't overcome the bad muscle memory you've made, and choking on the hard parts consistently because you still can't read them properly.

What to do in such a case? Don't touch the maps AT ALL for MONTHS. I had some maps where I developed bad habits and it took me several months of not playing them to be able to read them again, basically forgetting the map even exists and getting better playing other maps.

One of them was big black, map which I spammed the shit out of for weeks, I couldn't even survive 20 seconds on it and I spammed it with nofail, eventually I realized I couldn't even focus on any circle in it. I forgot about the map for a year and half, then when I tried it again I easily passed it in a single attempt.

This doesn't happen as much for players with good reading skills, as they're much less likely to read a map wrong and develop bad habits from it.