forum

Editable version of the default skin?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nigel Tuffnel11
Hello, I'm brand new to osu!

I've tried quite a few customs skins now and prefer the default. I would like to edit one aspect of it though--I'd like to make the "followpoint" lines solid, instead of dashed as they are by default.

Does anyone know where I can download the default skin? I've downloaded the one from peppy's thread:
t/129191

The problem is that's an .osk file, so I can't see or edit any of the skin content files. All I see in the one .osk file. This may be an issue because I'm on mac. With the other skins I've downloaded, I've extracted all their component files from a .rar, and have been able to edit each component file. Hopefully that makes sense.
Topic Starter
Nigel Tuffnel11
tl;dr - Is there a version of the default skin that isn't a single .osk file, but is a .rar that I could unpack and edit the contents?
Trosk-
If you just want to change the followpoints style, go to the options, select the default skin, and click on the button named "Open current skin folder". This will create a folder named "User". Doing that and selecting the "User" skin, you will play with the default skin but without the followpoints style of the Default skin.

Also, for future reference, you can change the extension from a .osk filde to .zip to see the elements of the skin, extract them, etc. You can also import the .osk and change elements on the folder of that skin, that will be in the "Skins" folder of your osu! installation after importing it.
Topic Starter
Nigel Tuffnel11
Thank you! I was able to change to the followpoint style I like. I made the default skin into a zip file like you suggested.

I created a user folder as well, but when I opened it, the folder was empty. Do any files you put in that empty folder override elements of the default skin, is that how that "user" folder works?
Bara-
That's how every skin's folder work
It uses the default elements by default, but when a certain element is in the folder, it will use that instead of the default ones
Topic Starter
Nigel Tuffnel11
Awesome, thanks for clarifying