forum

[Archived] Win10 DirectX Crashing Display Drivers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Akari-nyan
Since upgrading to windows 10 I havent been able to play osu with directx. It seems to cause display driver crashes constantly. Switching to OpenGL resolves that issue but I have an intel i5, and integrated graphics which doesnt work properly with opengl. So the game feels kind of sluggish, though not unplayable.
I read that MS has upgraded to directx 12 though I'm guessing OSU is not taking advantage of that.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20150812.11 (latest)
Trosk-
osu! is not taking advantage of DX 12 and will never take it, since osu! is moving to be OpenGL only.

What are you meaning with "display driver crashes"? What model of i5 do you use? You shouldn't have any problem like crashes or something like that with an Intel HD graphics GPU. Do you have the Intel HD Graphics drivers installed/updated? If not, do it.
Topic Starter
Akari-nyan

Trosk- wrote:

osu! is not taking advantage of DX 12 and will never take it, since osu! is moving to be OpenGL only.

What are you meaning with "display driver crashes"? What model of i5 do you use? You shouldn't have any problem like crashes or something like that with an Intel HD graphics GPU. Do you have the Intel HD Graphics drivers installed/updated? If not, do it.
i5 4200U, HD Graphics 4400. Yes the drivers are installed and up to date.

I'm saying that using directx with osu causes my display drivers to crash. If the display doesn't crash then osu does. I wouldnt mind using opengl if it were properly supported by my gpu.

The error message I get is "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered"
A lot of this is probably on windows end rather than OSU. But the fact remains that osu wont run at all with directx.

And on another note. I really don't get the logic behind abandoning directx.
Trosk-
Just in case... Could you try uninstalling your current drivers and installing these ones? They are from 4 days ago and compatible with Win10, but I don't think that you should have any problem with DirectX with your current drivers... Give it a try.

If it's still not working properly, could you try changing the osu! release stream to Cutting Edge and then enable "Compatibility mode"? This option is below the FPS Limiters on osu!, do not confuse it with Windows compatibility.
Topic Starter
Akari-nyan

Trosk- wrote:

Just in case... Could you try uninstalling your current drivers and installing these ones? They are from 4 days ago and compatible with Win10, but I don't think that you should have any problem with DirectX with your current drivers... Give it a try.

If it's still not working properly, could you try changing the osu! release stream to Cutting Edge and then enable "Compatibility mode"? This option is below the FPS Limiters on osu!, do not confuse it with Windows compatibility.

The bit with the drivers isnt possible apparently for some minimum requirements issues. However I noticed when I went to change release streams that my frame rate limiter was set to 60. I believe that's the limit of my monitor, however I decided to set it to unlimited anyways and sure enough. that sluggish feeling with openGL went away. I followed through with your compatibility steps anyways and those didnt really seem to do too much. but no negatives so ill leave it like this.

Thanks for your help.
peppy
Great to hear cutting edge is doing you good. You probably don't need compatibility mode, for what it's worth.
BringMeTheBeans
Same Problem, can any one tell me how to change from DirectX to OpenGL through text? Osu can't even load past the splash :(
Trosk-

TheBeanMachine wrote:

Same Problem, can any one tell me how to change from DirectX to OpenGL through text? Osu can't even load past the splash :(
If you can't run DirectX, something is really screwed in your PC. Make sure that you have your drivers up to date, or even installed, if you don't have them already.
BringMeTheBeans
DirectX works, Just not on Osu, I thought you established this. I just don't know how to change it to OpenGL from a text document.