forum

[Archived] Wacom Intuos Cursor Lag/Skip/Delay

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Himegu
So, recently i've been having this problem where my cursor doesn't exactly go to the desired spots in which my hand moves to.
This isn't a huge, obvious skip, but I can tell when it's malfunctioning. Sometimes its a little skip, sometimes the cursor slows down a lot and sometimes it lags into a different spot, (not totally, but enough to miss notes etc)

This wasn't happening before when i first got the tablet. In fact it was working perfectly. im not sure if osu updated or whatever, but these problems starting happening when I re-sized my tablet area into a significantly larger one.

Then, i noticed that you can change the settings on the wacom tablet specifically for certain programs. so i did one for osu, then everything else i used my tablet on mouse mode. At first this was the problem as it made my cursor skip hard. Then i change the tablet area for osu and "everything else" to the same one, just that the express keys were different. this improved the lag a bit, but i still experience cursor delays , not so much skips.

It's been really delaying my progress in the game as im only about 3 months into the game, and I've tried pretty much tried everything that there was to try, (at least for the most part). I'm not to sure about the updates that osu does or the history of the game in which malfunctions occurred, like i mentioned before, im sort of new to this game. so please, for those more experienced players that use wacom tablets (preferably intuos), can you identify the problem ? or give me suggestions as for what settings to use osu and windows wise to fix the problem ?

Things to know about my setup (if it helps)
AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8310
I use windows 8.1
AMD R7 240 Radeon Graphics
5ms HX2000 Gateway Monitor (1600x900 res) (I have two screens, but i use only one for my tablet area, bc then it's really fast if i have the settings on the wacom properties to full)
Wacom Intuos Pen Tablet Small
My tablet area is set to a 4:3 Ratio without forced proportions (i do not know if this is important)
osu is on 1366x768 res, unlimited on directX. detail settings are all off. tablet support is on. and have "map absolute raw input to osu window" checked and raw input unchecked

Things I've Tried To resolved the problem
1. Re-install the tablet drivers, graphic drivers, sound drivers.
2. download an older version of the tablet drivers
3. disable that tablet service thingy, used fix my pen app that everyone uses. took flickering off.

anything else im missing that's making my tablet act up ? /: tytysm if anyone replies
Trosk-
Is it happening just in osu! or it happens on Windows too? Do you have the Windows Ink option enabled? If so, disable it.

Also, try to change the USB port where you have plugged in your tablet. A user fixed it a few days ago by just doing that.
Arcane

Trosk- wrote:

Is it happening just in osu! or it happens on Windows too? Do you have the Windows Ink option enabled? If so, disable it.

Also, try to change the USB port where you have plugged in your tablet. A user fixed it a few days ago by just doing that.
yes ^ true and if that doesnt work you can Always go to the windows tablet settings ( build in windows ) and try to turn off the Gestures feature and if you still experience delay /or lag you can go to: System>Advanced system configurations>Settings (Performance tab) and you should click on ''best settings for performance"

hope that it works ^-^/ GL :D
Topic Starter
Himegu

Trosk- wrote:

it only happens on osu. it works perfectly fine with windows. i tried it on my friend's laptop as well, with a crazy gpu and graphics and it still happened only in osu. it was also connected in an ss usb through his laptop. i do not have ink enable, and i'll try that, i have my tablet on a ss usb port. so im not sure if that makes the tablet malfunction. but thank you sm for the reply ! n.n
Topic Starter
Himegu

Arcane wrote:

Trosk- wrote:

yes ^ true and if that doesnt work you can Always go to the windows tablet settings ( build in windows ) and try to turn off the Gestures feature and if you still experience delay /or lag you can go to: System>Advanced system configurations>Settings (Performance tab) and you should click on ''best settings for performance"

hope that it works ^-^/ GL :D
what's gestures ? im not too sure how to access that, i only have "pen and touch" settings on control panel, then the wacom properties and stuff. but my pc is on high performance, and on graphics overdrive. so im not sure if this affects anything that makes my tablet act up on osu T.T
Trosk-
Could you try if enabling raw input makes any difference? Also, could you try disabling "Map absolute raw input to osu! window"? And disable the OS TabletPC Support option, it's not necesary for Wacom tablets.
Topic Starter
Himegu

Trosk- wrote:

Could you try if enabling raw input makes any difference? Also, could you try disabling "Map absolute raw input to osu! window"? And disable the OS TabletPC Support option, it's not necesary for Wacom tablets.
so i've been messing around with the settings, and yes i've tried that, and i get the same amount of skip/lag. should i re-install my tablet drivers offline through the cd it came with ?
Trosk-

Ryuzojin wrote:

so i've been messing around with the settings, and yes i've tried that, and i get the same amount of skip/lag. should i re-install my tablet drivers offline through the cd it came with ?
I think it's gonna be the same... But you could try if you want.

And I don't know... The fact that you have tried on another computer and still happening the same problem is weird...
Topic Starter
Himegu

Trosk- wrote:

Ryuzojin wrote:

I think it's gonna be the same... But you could try if you want.

And I don't know... The fact that you have tried on another computer and still happening the same problem is weird...
well, i really dont want to jinx it rn, but switching it to another usb port really did improve to and close to fixed the problem. but i really dont want to assume this asd the problem could return and im almost certain of it. but it worked for now. do you recommend using enhancing pointer precision ?
Trosk-

Ryuzojin wrote:

do you recommend using enhancing pointer precision ?
No, never.
Topic Starter
Himegu

Trosk- wrote:

Ryuzojin wrote:

do you recommend using enhancing pointer precision ?
No, never.
despite of all the methods tried. it's improved alot ! just by turning off enhancing pointer percision , and switching the usb port. i just noticed that the cursor shakes a bit too, not the kind of shaking to miss notes, but instead of nice clean swift moving cursor, it shakes only during gameplay. its probably smart to mention that all these problems occur only during gameplay when i play a beatmap. and yes some beat maps delay my cursor more than others. regardless i want it to stop completely bc i really want to go on 10 hour osu marathons T.T
Nekonyan
What wacom driver are you using? from website or from the CD software that came with the tablet?

Also, you could try what said here.
Arcane

Ryuzojin wrote:

hope that it works ^-^/ GL :D[/quote]
what's gestures ? im not too sure how to access that, i only have "pen and touch" settings on control panel, then the wacom properties and stuff. but my pc is on high performance, and on graphics overdrive. so im not sure if this affects anything that makes my tablet act up on osu T.T[/quote]

Start reading here
=======================
In windows 8 and higer there should be an option called something like ''pen and tablet'' within the control panel of windows. if you click on there ( i cant make a screenshot now since im at work XD and i cant acces a normal conputer ) and you should see 2 tabs.. the one you see and another one XD click on the other one (i forgot name like i said i cant show you) and there is the gestures option and you should disable it >.< sorry for my bad explaination :0
Topic Starter
Himegu

Nekonyan wrote:

What wacom driver are you using? from website or from the CD software that came with the tablet?

Also, you could try what said here.
I installed the driver from my cd then directly after I installed the latest driver from the website, I tried using an older one that people suggested using to resolved the problem, but in my case it didn't make a difference :/ I'm starting to think that I should just give up & buy another version of Wacom tablets bc Osu is still a bit unplayable .
Arcane
maby XD just very very maby you can try turning off the raw input option in osu! :S And the lag do you experience it when you touch your tablet iwht the pen while playing or is it Always there when you play or even move your cursor in the mainscreen?????

edit : ahh i see that you wrote that its during gameplay well then... then does it happen when you touch your tablet with the pen or also while hovering? ANDDD do you have a shit pc? or a normal working pc
Nekonyan
have you tried this?

[quote="helion":1337]Since I got some messages about this, I guess it's a good opportunity to post it now. :)
There have been quite a few threads about this issue. I figured out a fix since the last one. The only downside (of Step 2) is that it causes issues for tablet-aware applications. Fortunately, osu! isn't one of them. This is what you need to do:

Step 1: Turn off tablet taps driver-side
See here. This has the same effect as removing the pen tip and will result in every tap on the tablet surface being ignored. This is what I use. I'm using one of the pen buttons as a click and got used to it fairly quickly. If you are fine with that and don't need pen tapping, you can skip Step 2 and leave it at that.

Step 2: Run TabletTapToClick.exe
I made a litte tool that uses the Wintab API to get raw data from the tablet and simulate a mouse click every time you tap. You can download it here. Source code is included. I posted it on the Wacom forums a few days ago, you can read that thread for some more details if you are interested.

Update 2013-12-19: Wacom has released a new driver (5.3.3-2) that fixes all issues! Download it from the Wacom support page, install it, go to the pen mode settings and uncheck "Use Windows Ink".[quote="helion":1337]Looks like I found a workaround. This doesn't actually solve the problem and it's rather uncomfortable, but it makes osu! playable for the time being.

After endless hours googling I found out that it's actually possible to turn off tablet taps driver-side, even though there is no such setting in the Wacom settings app. It works like this:
  1. Locate "AppData\Roaming\WTablet\Pen_Tablet.dat" and open it. It's a simple XML file.
  2. Find line "<ButtonName type="string">tip</ButtonName>" and change the button function node above from 1 to 0.
  3. Restart computer (or tablet service).
After doing that, any tapping on the tablet surface will be completely ignored. Of course, navigating osu! doesn't work either, so I set one of the pen buttons to issue a click (which will cause the aforementioned lags/delays again :P ). Also, any playstyle that involves tablet tapping is impossible with this.
Topic Starter
Himegu

Arcane wrote:

maby XD just very very maby you can try turning off the raw input option in osu! :S And the lag do you experience it when you touch your tablet iwht the pen while playing or is it Always there when you play or even move your cursor in the mainscreen?????

edit : ahh i see that you wrote that its during gameplay well then... then does it happen when you touch your tablet with the pen or also while hovering? ANDDD do you have a shit pc? or a normal working pc
well you can decide whether i have a shit pc or not, i listed the specs of my pc ^^^^^^^^^^^, but no, i hover and this problem occurs, as well as the cursor speeding up at times, and slowing down.
Arcane
Sorry i didnt see your specs :$ I think your pc should be fine :D well if you have it as well while hovering then I think the only solution will be the one someone talked about earlier and that are these drivers and if it all just doesn't work ... I recommend reinstalling windows. :? good luck~