forum

[resolved] osu! or paraphernalia causing random shutdowns of my system.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mickeytheluxray
I wouldn't call myself a "long time player" of osu!. Nonetheless, I've used the program long enough to know that what's been happening recently is NOT an intended function.

It started at around the time of the new update. Suddenly my computer (an aging Dell Optiplex 755 running Windows 7) would shut down without warning and without chance to stop it. Black screen, computer off. I'd try and restart the computer and continue with my play session but the computer would keep shutting down.

I hadn't cleaned it of dust for a while so I did that- no dice. I even removed the heatsink and reapplied thermal paste in case overheating was the issue. Nothing. I found out via some snooping in the event logs that some registry key was getting messed up. Went back and did work on that, and now when I tried to start up Windows Explorer failed to exist. Taskbar wouldn't show, and on other accounts the Explorer application couldn't be opened. Did a system restore to a week ago (again, around the time of the new update) and the problem of shutdowns persisted every time I tried to continue as normal.

I can't show you all said event logs, unfortunately, because I just did a fresh reinstall of Windows altogether and am slowly rebuilding my repertoire of programs. Nonetheless, I downloaded drivers for my keyboard, tablet, printer, and headphones, Java, Silverlight, and Firefox without issue- but when I downloaded and used osu!, the problem came running right back. Black screen, shut off after around 15 minutes of running the program.

I don't know at all what's going on with the program. There are no crash logs or anything- the system regards the random shutdowns as if they were mostly normal, not even opening the Boot Menu [aka the menu that comes up when you shut down via the power button] upon restart. The only indicator that something is wrong (other than the obvious sudden shutdown) is the following entry in the Event Viewer:

The previous system shutdown at [TIME OF SHUTDOWN] on [DATE OF SHUTDOWN] was unexpected.

No crash logs are available from osu!. I'm not really even sure if osu! itself is the problem, or if it's .NET or some other program related to it. Either way, I wanted to get the word out of my troubles to see if anyone else knows of the problem and/or has a solution.

UPDATE: I found out that .NET 4.5 (the one that came with osu!) and .NET 3.5.2 were running side by side. I turned off 3.5.2 and will see if that prevents the shutdowns. (Also, just realized this should be in the Help thread. Sorry mods! :oops: )
UPD 2: It didn't work. Took a bit longer to shut down but it still did it. The blame is squarely on either a fatal bug in .NET or a fatal bug in osu!. Either way... looks like I'll have to stop playing until the problem is taken care of. :cry:
VeilStar
Moved to Help.

If thermals aren't an issue I would lean towards power, but that's very doubtable given what you said.

Anyhow, what "new update" exactly are you talking about? The update to the stable release stream?
Aside from bug fixes this was the only thing that got pushed to it as far as I'm aware.

Nothing in osu! should be able to cause a random system shut down or crash. This is quite strange if it's not a thermal issue.

I very much assume the result will be the same, but does this happen on the Beta release stream aswell?

Edit: Likely a hardware issue.
abraker
Just to be clear, it shoutdowns only when playing osu!?
TheVileOne
osu! cannot cause this issue unless something else is already broken. I'm surprised that you haven't had a BSOD yet. I think this is a hardware related. My suspicion is you have a faulty RAM stick or your battery supply is going south.
Nekonyan
Maybe you could try to do what said here.
Topic Starter
mickeytheluxray
As it turns out, the graphics card fan's motor had filled with dust and died, causing the card to overheat after a few minutes of intensive work. Got the replacement today (for $6, no less), and I'm getting higher framerates than ever. 250 up from 200.

Really wish I'd noticed that the first time I took the computer apart. Now I feel quite stupid for blaming it on software! :lol:

RIP my files.
Flanster
Well then, marking as resolved.