forum

[Variety Pack] PAX Pack 2011 (Nerd-Rock Collection)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Hello again. I'm thinking of putting together a smallish pack, just for fun, themed around the Penny Arcade Expo concerts. The following is a list of artists that have performed at PAX, and the idea would be to get some sampling of these artists into a pack that will be released to coincide with PAX East next year (around March). We wouldn't necessarily have to have only one song from each artist, and we don't need to have every band on this list represented, but it would be nice to have a good balance.

Anyway, here's the list of bands:

Anamanaguchi
The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
Freezepop
Jonathan Coulton
MC Frontalot
Metroid Metal*
Mike Relm
The Minibosses*
NESkimos*
The OneUps*
Optimus Rhyme
Paul & Storm
The Protomen
The Video Game Orchestra*
The Video Game Pianist*
*video game cover bands

I might add rules as I go, but right now I'm just gauging interest in this idea, so please post if you'd like to claim a song by one of these groups, or even if you'd just be interested in downloading maps by them when they're done.

Edit: Uploaded maps list:

1. Sushi did Anamanaguchi - My Skateboard Will Go On http://osu.ppy.sh/s/18689 Ranked!
  2. LuigiHann might do The Protomen - Light Up The Night http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15240
  3. Xgor might do Freezepop - Brainpower
  4. CheeseWarlock might do Jonathan Coulton - Skullcrusher Mountain
  5. MarioBros777 might do The OneUps - Donut Lifts
  6. Larto might do Metroid Metal - Kraid
  7. Mogsworth might do some Anamanaguchi or some Freezepop
  8. awp might do some Jonathan Coulton
Lilac
I remember PAX.

I love it.

Though i don't know any songs. Otherwise... well... there would be another collab from me.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

MarioBros777 wrote:

Though i don't know any songs. Otherwise... well... there would be another collab from me.
Don't know any songs from any of these bands? :O

You could probably do a collab using a song from one of the video game cover bands.... The Minibosses do a lot of medleys, for instance
Sushi
What a coincidence.

Anamanaguchi - My Skateboard Will Go On
Not ranked yet, but in a very good shape.

You can include my old anamanaguchi too
Anamanaguchi - Helix Nebula
Mashley
This good enough? http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15972
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Mashley wrote:

This good enough? http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15972
I'd probably accept it if somebody mapped the J.C. Mix... Game version is a bit of a stretch, since it's not his performance

Sushi wrote:

What a coincidence.

Anamanaguchi - My Skateboard Will Go On
Not ranked yet, but in a very good shape.

You can include my old anamanaguchi too
Anamanaguchi - Helix Nebula
Wow, how did I miss that when I searched? I must have spelled the band's name wrong... I will probably say no to all previously ranked maps, but the upcoming Skateboard one I will happily include.
CheeseWarlock
Did someone say Anamanaguchi?

There's a lot of stuff on that list that would be awesome to map, but I have no idea what to claim. But I fully support this project.
Xgor
Even if I love video game music, I hateddisliked most of these bands. (I guess I just hate rock+ combined with video game songs as most bands was that)

I liked Freezepop - Brainpower though so I claim that for now. (Don't expect too much though)
awp
Any JoCo songs in mind (that aren't already ranked)? I do fancy me some JoCo. Don't know if I'll jump in, but I'm gauging interest.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

Any JoCo songs in mind (that aren't already ranked)? I do fancy me some JoCo. Don't know if I'll jump in, but I'm gauging interest.
Here's all the maps that have been submitted. There are definitely tons of good songs he's done that haven't been ranked, and plenty that haven't ever been submitted (apparently). The Future Soon or Skullcrusher Mountain would be cool. Re: Your Brains was submitted once by somebody but apparently abandoned, that one would be cool too.

Xgor wrote:

Even if I love video game music, I hateddisliked most of these bands. (I guess I just hate rock+ combined with video game songs as most bands was that)
I went back and marked the ones that are video game cover bands with *. Only some of them are, most do original songs.
Mogsy
I've got Freezepop's entire discography, Anamanaguchi's entire discography, and a lot of JoCo that hasn't been submitted. I'm down. If I DON'T make a map for this, it's because I'll be dead.

EDIT: I'm definitely doing Anamanaguchi - Flora/Fauna and Freezepop - Plastic Stars.
CheeseWarlock
I gave Skullcrusher Mountain a try once, but never got anywhere with it. I'll try again. Collab/guest difficulties are possibilities.
Lilac
Went through the Minibosses....but I didn't like anything.

Mapping The OneUps - Donut Lifts.

Collaborating this as usual. PM if you want in or something.

Song has a jazzy feel, 120 BPM. Don't like it, get out.
Larto
Metroid Metal - Kraid sounds very sexy. Claiman'.
Lilac
Massive bump to say I've changed my song to a Minibosses song. (Contrary to what I said before.)

Heh....Heh....
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Welp... we failed

At least we indirectly inspired the Scott Pilgrim Soundtrack project which went on to become great