forum

Beatmaps include copyrighted music?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FroThinksSoToo
Hello Guys,

I'm rather confused. After playing osu for a week, I noticed that a lot beatmaps include copyrighted work. Well, almost all of them. Changing the pitch/playbackrate of a song doesn't change that fact.
I'm curious how legal that is. I don't want to get into any legal trouble just for playing this game, so some clarification would be appreciated.

:?:
PrinceArua
I've had the same thought before, I guess artists don't want anything to do with the weeaboos d:
IppE
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright

Basically the game operates on a legal "gray area" where the policy is "we assume it is okay unless the artist/record label/content owner explicitly says otherwise".

If you look at it with a completely black/white mindset, osu! is piracy. I know this might be a concern with you living in Germany and all, but I don't remember anyone getting their door kicked down for downloading beatmaps.
Topic Starter
FroThinksSoToo
Okay, I see, thanks. I guess the australian copyright rights are pretty weak then.
In my country DMCA does not protect from copyright infringement/damage.

Interesting though.
Shohei Ohtani
Well DMCA is a United States law but you tried so thats cool too.

Pitch shifting is legally considered "parody", and therefore is protected under DCMA (although sometjmes it can still be taken down.) its like how people can upload tv shows to youtube sometimes by only showing half the screen or increasing speed or something.

Because osu! Is not a for profit game, you cant really sue them as theyre not using other peoples work for personal profit. Donations do not count as profit.

But people are allowed to request the removal of content, and osu! Makes sure that content like that is never published (published generally meaning ranked) again, as defying a cease and decist IS a suable offense.
OzzyOzrock

Reditum wrote:

But people are allowed to request the removal of content, and osu! Makes sure that content like that is never published (published generally meaning ranked) again, as defying a cease and decist IS a suable offense.
Except that now we go by "if it's taken down, we can still rank it, but they have to ask it to be taken down again" so not really :p
Shohei Ohtani

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Reditum wrote:

Except that now we go by "if it's taken down, we can still rank it, but they have to ask it to be taken down again" so not really :p
Wtf when did that happen

Because theres a skrillex song i really wanna map
silmarilen
afaik that was always the case, people just didnt know
Kouya-
As long as it's not a deleted map because of copyright claims, it's all good to me .
xxdeathx
Unless Germany's the same way it was when they lost the second world war, I highly doubt the authorities are gonna be knocking down your door for a few pieces of weeb music from another country
Granger
They wont knock down your door, but you're risking a "friendly" letter wanting you to pay absurd fines for copyright infrigement.
Bara-

Reditum wrote:

Wtf when did that happen

Because theres a skrillex song i really wanna map
Uhm
You have modded a map of mine recently
It's allowed to be ranked
It was a DMCA map, remember?
Shohei Ohtani
I dont remember what is and isnt DMCA, lol.

Also, tbh, if Loctav and p3n havent mentioned anything about it, being germans, then im assuming that its not a HUGE issue.

Altho it could be different. I remember that German copyright laws were why Larto quit ( :( )
ztrot
Most if not all the copyright questions can be explained and read in detail by clicking on this https://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright
Mercurial

IppE wrote:

I know this might be a concern with you living in Germany and all, but I don't remember anyone getting their door kicked down for downloading beatmaps.
RIP Larto :c
Granger

ztrot wrote:

Most if not all the copyright questions can be explained and read in detail by clicking on this https://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright
In germany the downloadng person can also get punished which that page does not adress.
Midori Tea

Reditum wrote:

I dont remember what is and isnt DMCA, lol.
Altho it could be different. I remember that German copyright laws were why Larto quit ( :( )
I always wondered why he disappeared.
Shohei Ohtani
he still is on Steam a lot go chill with him lmao