forum

[resolved] [web] Searching has no order

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nwolf
When searching in a forum/using the search function in the forums you end up having no order in the searches. It used to be sorted by date but that doesn't happen anymore, I have no idea if that's an issue on my end (can't do anything) and it just seems weird. It ends up having something like "4 years ago" on page 1 and "2 months ago" on page 2, "1 year ago" on page 3 and "5 days ago" on page 4.

just a random screenshot of the FIRST page of a search with 50 pages.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
VeilStar
It's sorted by relevance now as opposed to by date.
Topic Starter
Nwolf
how is a 4 year old topic relevant for me when I search for something recent ;_;
Bara-
Oh god
Everytime I think something was 1 year old, but the date already goes to 2 years I now quit the search
Why on earth did this have to change?
Renevant
I've been wondering the same. Lately, It seems that I would get a ridiculously old post when i'm trying to find recent resolved/confirmed threads.

This is irrelevant to the help forum, but it would be nice to have the option to choose between relevance and date. Sometimes i search, because I know a post contains a specific word or two, but I can't find it because older posts have those words too. This is more of a feature request though.
VeilStar
The search previously (I guess about a month ago) sorted by date and didn't search for all entered keywords.

I basically complained about this as it was impossible for me to find ANYTHING relevant what so ever.
It should now show much more relevant results instead of random stuf that doesn't even remotely match your search.

I'm surprised to see anyone make a topic about it now and not before since, at least for me, it actually has some use now as opposed to just showing a load of random stuff and me resorting to either google or a browser search.

That being said, did you have better results with the search before this change? I guess it could be changed back, but I'm genuinely mind blown if you find it worse now.
abraker
What we need are filters like "date<23" (in months ago) or "keyword='cutting edge' NOT thread='259747'" or something like that. I think the filtering system ingame is pretty nice and could be applied to the web search as well. Naturally, I think it should sort by date.
Renevant

VeilStar wrote:

That being said, did you have better results with the search before this change? I guess it could be changed back, but I'm genuinely mind blown if you find it worse now.
Hm, I just feel that an average joe would be more likely to benefit by searching by date. In the help forum and the feature request forum, i can see how relevance would be more helpful than searching by date, specifically because you're trying to find a certain issue where the date of the topic wouldn't matter. If a thread was confirmed 3 years ago, and you searched for it properly, then you'll find it on the first search page, great!

Anything else would work better with date. I don't think the forums are large enough for it to prefer relevance over date on any specific topic. Especially since necroing is such an issue lately. I dont think a 3 year old topic should even show up on the first page when searching streams (i hope the link works) in G&R.

abraker wrote:

What we need are filters like "date<23" (in months ago) or "keyword='cutting edge' NOT thread='259747'" or something like that.
Or just have something like what abraker said. Though with that said, i would still prefer date as well.
VeilStar
Fair points there, Renevant.

Just a sidenote, but it's a good idea to use at least 2 (preferrably 3) search terms.
Renevant

Renevant wrote:

abraker wrote:

What we need are filters like "date<23" (in months ago) or "keyword='cutting edge' NOT thread='259747'" or something like that.
Or just have something like what abraker said. Though with that said, i would still prefer date as well.
Small elaboration on this: This should be a last resort imo, i doubt 90% of the osu community would even know such filters exist.

VeilStar wrote:

Just a sidenote, but it's a good idea to use at least 2 (preferrably 3) search terms.
I see, I tried to get some better examples. These certainly arn't the best, but i'm still getting really old threads that should never be replied to again.

Best Players Country in G&R
Search Feature in Feature Requests
Anime Games in Video Games

On a side note, it doesnt matter what i search for in the Beatmap Management forum, but i always get no results. Bug? D:

Also, I tried searching for this thread using two search terms. It didn't even come up with Dimming window. Are titles not included in the search?
abraker

Renevant wrote:

i doubt 90% of the osu community would even know such filters exist.
Does 90% of the osu community don't know about ingame filters? If so, that would make me a bit sad. We can always include a line with tips on the search page like on the ingame menu, "Tip: use filters like blah blah blah to aid...", and include a link to the wiki that explains filters.

What this is a help forum, not feature suggest
Renevant
Yah, that was just an assumption exaggeration on my part, it would be interesting to know what the actual statistics were.

abraker wrote:

We can always include a line with tips on the search page like on the ingame menu, "Tip: use filters like blah blah blah to aid...", and include a link to the wiki that explains filters.
That would be cool.

abraker wrote:

What this is a help forum, not feature suggest
haha, i suppose its just a way for those initially concerned about it to discuss it since there's no multi-chat rooms. This will likely get marked as resolved anyways (and transported to FR?). I should've stopped at my second post too, since im just kinda repeating what i already said. Sorry Veil!
VeilStar
Well, I just hope we'll have something much better when the new website rolls out.

Anyhow, if it bothers you enough then make a thread at the Feature Request forum.
(Or at the Development forum, depending on what it is you're posting.)

While I might use the search for slightly different stuff, I'm on board for anything that would improve it.

Marking this thread as resolved since the original topic got answered.