forum

A question about future next gen requirements.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GlitchedCode
Hello, i have seen the teaser for the next gen osu! update on youtube and it looks totally amazing. I am an Ubuntu user and i found that downloading the cutting edge version of the game breaks my osu! installation, as i'm not currently able to install .NET framework 4.0. Will .NET 4.0 become mandatory in the future versions of the game? Are there any ways to install .NET 4.0 via wine/winetricks?
Renevant

GlitchedCode wrote:

Will .NET 4.0 become mandatory in the future versions of the game?
Yes.

GlitchedCode wrote:

Are there any ways to install .NET 4.0 via wine/winetricks?
Unsure.

Try asking in the thread dedicated to this: t/259747
I suggest you visit the thread above and post your issue/what you've done already, so that they can help you get running on the cuttingedge build.
TakuMii
The current beta/cuttingedge won't work with Wine, but they are working towards proper multi-platform support, so you can rest assured that there'll be a proper native Linux client once the changes hit the stable build.
Topic Starter
GlitchedCode
That's totally great! Thanks for the answers and the tips. Can't wait for next gen! :D
rodrigez_BCL_
Run this comand on your Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) winetricks dotnet40
Install the .NET4.5 with this: winetricks dotnet45
AGRX
This is not much linux related but its wine so i share this and want to know if you experience the same on linux.

I tried to run osu! on mac using wineskin wrapper with preinstalled .net dependancies (2.0 to 4.5), stable runs on it.
I switched in game from stable to cutting edge. Then osu restarts and lanch osu updater but it stucks on updater.
TakuMii
^Same thing goes for Mac OSX. The current beta/cuttingedge builds break Wine compatibility due to OpenGL, but in the future, you will no longer need to use Wine to play osu!. Just stick to stable for now.
Topic Starter
GlitchedCode

rodrigez_BCL_ wrote:

Run this comand on your Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) winetricks dotnet40
Install the .NET4.5 with this: winetricks dotnet45
I already tried running those commands, they break my wineprefix for some reason, as when i try to run osu! it says it can't find C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe.
ErunamoJAZZ
The future osu, is open source. It will work with mono, and will be possible to compile for Unix systems (pls, see this twitt: https://twitter.com/ppy/status/566193869771927553 )
There will be no official compilation for linux , but im sure community will do something ;)

Now, this is very low priority, so, pls, dont ask when will be ready XD