forum

TF2 ARG (July 1st)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ph0X
So, Valve decides to strike again, apparently for the Engineer update, with another ARG.

Apparently, in todays update, there was a secret image file:

Looking at it's alpha channel, they found this:

This is the website:
http://www.myersdaily.org/joseph/javascript/alphac.html

Using that to decode the message in the image, with the key "saxtonhale" gives
"Clearly here is more space than needed. I wonder what else was here!"

There's also Golden Wrench files that have been added. People have tried them with cheats and it turns people into gold statue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQK4M9Ev7NM

Also, apparently, it's in the item drop system and people can already get it.

There seems to be more to it.
NoHitter
A golden wrench?
K2J
Topic Starter
Ph0X
This was the best part
K2J
Possible who's who in that photo.
Remco32
WhoAteFred
I just crafted away almost all my unused weapons. No wrench.
Still, I wonder how that new shotgun will turn out..
NoHitter
That wrench will probably force everyone to craft their items.

(I mean I gave up the Razorback for this)
Jinxy

NoHItter wrote:

That wrench will probably force everyone to craft their items.
(I mean I gave up the Razorback for this)
Why do you even use the Razorback.

Crafted off My SR sticky and the Skullcutter, Pain Train and a spare Equaliser, Homewrecker and Backburner. Add that with the extras of making to reclaimed and refined, and I crafted 8 times. Not much, I know.

Maybe I should have saved the Homewrecker so I can babysit Engis after the update rolls out.
WhoAteFred
I guess the only plus of this is that we will be much closer to crafting a hat. Now I can only hope that said hat wouldn't be another hatless...
NoHitter
I crafted my Hatless sniper + Trophy belt and got the Mirror for the medic.

I crafted my two Modest Pile of Hat and got a Killer Kabuto.
Mashley
Guys I'm a TF2 noob how do I get more items :(
Xanek
By playing, that's all I know lol
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/wrenchlog/ close to half of the wrenchs found
Doomsday
I haven't got enough spare items to really try for the wrench. I tried a couple of times (Crafting Huntsman & Jarate, crafting 3 scrap) and nothing. oh well.
Nharox
Don't waste your stuff with crafting and wait for real weapons.
WhoAteFred
Was helping my brother craft a axtinguisher (got homewrecker), and someone else got wrench 46 the exact moment he crafted it.
Xanek
that sucks, is there a way to craft charge 'n targe? :[ been wanting to get it for a while, even though i've had tf2 for like 2 weeks lol
WhoAteFred
For the Charge&Targe, you'll need a Demo token (3 Demo weps./any other class token+ Demo wep.), a primary token (3 primary weapons/any other slot token+ primary wep), and a piece of scrap metal (2 weapons of the same class). Be warned, as this can also craft a Scot. Resistance. The same combination of class token+ slot token+ scrap can make any weapon in the game.
awp

whoatefred wrote:

For the Charge&Targe, you'll need a Demo token (3 Demo weps./any other class token+ Demo wep.), a primary token (3 primary weapons/any other slot token+ primary wep), and a piece of scrap metal (2 weapons of the same class). Be warned, as this can also craft a Scot. Resistance. The same combination of class token+ slot token+ scrap can make any weapon in the game.
man whatever happened to TF2 = pick a class and play

this shit is so unnecessary
Topic Starter
Ph0X
Xanek
some dude named peppy mac

Edit: oh look 4chan steam group wut
Xanek
inb4 anyone else gets them

Jinxy
So you can wrangle mini-sentries?
Xanek
Take control of your sentry, it deploys a shield which reduces 66% all incoming damage, i'll have a video up i guess in a bit

Edit:
The Gunslinger is basically the wrench, but replaces the Sentry with a Mini-Sentry, which only costs 100 metal, though it is not repairable nor is it upgradeable. You smack it via a wrench or gunslinger to replenish the ammo. And it has the fastest building time, which is basically 1 second
The Wrangler makes the user control the sentry practically anywhere and has a laser sight to show where the user is pointing at with the sentry.
Right click is rockets (if you have sentry level 3), and left click is regular fire.
From the new update, engineers can now move built buildings from one place to another, though it takes the same amount of time to redeploy it as it does to make it, and it does give back the level the building had before you picked it up.

2 Taunt kills for the engineer were added as well, a guitar smash from the shotgun, Frontier Justice, and some spinny hand thing from
the Gunslinger

Glass
I was playing TF2 just now and we had 7 engies on the same team at one point :/
Xanek
cause bitches don't know about them servers made for engineers
Glass
it sucks to have no carry and you're playing a medic.
Xanek
I usually play in these 2 servers, the one with the rtd has bots, and the other people randomly join when someone is in there, usually I join there when that clan is in there, which is how I got my stuff * cough cough cough cougH* they passworded it *cough cough* to get the *cough* achievements *cough* 8D

NoHitter
It's a spy heaven these coming days.

Also finally I can efficiently go offensive engy
Jinxy

NoHItter wrote:

It's a spy heaven these coming days.
Doubt it, unless you are a crazy awesome spy.
Doomsday
I can see the Frontier Justice being incredibly useful for turtling engies, since they can let their sentries rack up kills and once its destroyed, they are powered up with a truckload of crits. The Gunslinger can be useful for offensive engies with its health boost, but I'd prefer to be able to build full Sentries rather than the mini-sentries of The Gunslinger. I tend to stick to the Southern Hospitality over it.

I haven't unlocked The Wrangler yet, but it looks pretty fun.
Jinxy
So I unlocked all 3 weapons.

Frontier Justice: Pretty nice, although the 3 clip size gets me quite a few times.
Wrangler: Epic. I lost count of how many asses I kicked as a Heavy-Soldier. But easily ambushed by any class if you are too preoccupied.
Gunslinger: Meh. Tried a few times, the sentry never survived long enough for anything game-changing.

Southern Hospitality sounds nice, but I haven't got it yet.
Xanek
Via TF2 Wiki:

idk when you unlock the blueprints but w/e
Jinxy
I know that, but I crafted off my Amb during the Golden Wrench thing. I prefer the normal revolver more.
NoHitter

JInxyjem wrote:

I know that, but I crafted off my Amb during the Golden Wrench thing. I prefer the normal revolver more.
Ambassador's pretty useful in a tight spot if you can pull of headshots.

I use it especially when a pyro decides to w+m1 me.
WhoAteFred

JInxyjem wrote:

^

Doesn't matter since I already got them all including the new wrench via drop/achievments/crafting. I knew it was a good idea crafting that secondary token during the wrenchfest. Wrangler is so much fun. (It doesn't help that it was the very next drop I got. But still.)
Xanek
Do you have to unlock the blueprints to make the new wrench or what
Nvm, just doesn't say you can craft it but you can >.>
NoHitter
That does it. Engy is now unbalanced!

Sentry jumping to unreachable places?

2.5 sec sentry building + shield + aiming cursor?

May to ruin my second most favorite class Valve :|
Jinxy

NoHItter wrote:

spot if you can pull of headshots.

I use it especially when a pyro decides to w+m1 me.
Problem is, I can't. Also, you would have been freaking dead if I had my flare gun when you used this tactic on me. Some spy tried to pull this on me when I had it equipped. He got roasted pretty well.

NoHItter wrote:

Unless the opponent is plain dumb to not notice a flying engi, the engi rocket jumping takes off almost more health than a Demo sticky jumping so he wouldn't have enough health to set up a dispenser and crap like that.
Xanek

NoHItter wrote:

That does it. Engy is now unbalanced!

2.5 sec sentry building + shield + aiming cursor?

May to ruin my second most favorite class Valve :|
May =/= Way
and go spy and backstab then sap >_> since of the inactivity after it gets stop from being controlled by the wrangler
Mashley
Oh, I got that 'Southern Hospitality' from a random drop...
Ephemeral
The damage shield also apparently absorbs damage for any units inside the actual shield itself, meaning a heavy paired with a l3 sentry with the wrangler up is a nigh unstoppable killing force, able to tank entire teams with healing just from the dispenser itself.
Remco32
Too bad that every server I join is filled with Engineers, along with sentries all over the place...
NoHitter

Remco32 wrote:

Too bad that every server I join is filled with Engineers, along with sentries all over the place...
So did *insert class here* when *insert class update here* was released.
Jinxy
My team had 5 engineers including me, and only I was defending the intel.

2 heavies came in, and I Wrangled one but the other escaped. Then a spy came in. He sapped my sentry before it managed to kill so I was like screw it and let my stuff be sapped, before beating him on his way out using my crit'd Frontier Justice. Then the 2nd heavy shot me because I forgot he didn't escape. orz

Also, the mini-sentry is quite useful in Arena. It has only saved me once by being a distraction and took down only 5 people in the span of 1-2 hours with me, but that's just because I can't use it very well.
NoHitter
Engy update aside...

What's next for Valve?

New weapons?
New maps?
Meet the Class videos?
WhoAteFred
Polypack count, then hopefully a meet the team video + classless update.
Xanek
anti-engi weapons for all classes :[
WhoAteFred
Sapper, Ubergun, sticky bomb launcher, knife, Direct Hit, etc. They have weaknesses. It's just that since everyone's playing engie now, it's a bit harder to use some of them.
Doomsday
Scouts can work great against Wrangled Sentries using Bonk in most situations, since scouts are taken as low priority targets by many engies, and the engie would target stronger classes, you'd just use bonk, sneak up behind him, bat the engie to death, and destroy the sentry while its shut down.

Since most servers are chock full of engies now who end up backing up each other, this isn't so effective, but once the rush dies down. 8-)