Post your best browser extensions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ph0X
SPOILER

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Firefox Sync: Lets you securely store bookmarks, passwords and settings on the cloud and sync them between computers. Will become a built-in feature in Firefox 4.
Opera has this built-in.
It was called Weave back in the alpha/beta. It then changed name to Firefox Sync and comes with Firefox now IIRC.
I'd rather have these stuff as add-ons that can be disabled personally rather than having a browser bloated with shitload of features *cough* opera *cough* Most people don't use sync, as they only have on computer.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Jetpack: Like Greasemonkey, but better. Will become a built-in feature in Firefox 4.
Meh.
I still haven't seen anything interesting from Jetpack. Only reason greasemonkey is so popular is because of its popularity. And it's also useable on most browsers. Why would someone make a script on jetpack instead of greasemonkey? It'll take more to convince me.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Web of Trust: A handy add-on that tells you if a site is trustworthy or not.
Opera has this built-in.
Again, Firefox has the basic blocking for some times, I'm guessing this takes it further though.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Firebug: A web development tool that lets you debug and edit the page you're on.
<333
Chrome, Safari, Opera, and IE have nothing on Firebug. (Chrome is kinda close, though, and has good profiling tools.)
Well, I really love Chromes benchmarking tools which Firebug doesn't really have, but yes, firebug is sex.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Ubiquity: Simplifies mundane tasks with the use of dynamic commands. Amazing time saver.
Opera sorta has this. Definitely not as powerful.
This sort of stuff takes a lot of getting used to. Like Launchy, took me time to get used to it but now it's amazing.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Linkification: Turns non-clickable URLs into hyperlinks.
A Good Idea, though cases where this would be needed are rare (where I roll).

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Linkification: Turns non-clickable URLs into hyperlinks.
A Good Idea, though cases where this would be needed are rare (where I roll).
Used it a lot back when I was on FF. I get lots of them while browsing warez (url's are quoted) or in NFO's

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Read It Later: Lets you tag pages you stumble upon for quick access later.
I have tabs opened from 2009 still...
They have no ext for chrome, so I use the bookmarklet. Works perfectly, don't really see why I would need an addon for this.

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

ChromaTabs Plus: Tints tabs by their favicons to make them easily identifiable.
I wonder how this compares to identifying by page thumbnail.
Reminds me of Windows 7. Blew my mind when I noticed that the glow color taken from the task icon. Fail link though, goes to RiL extension :(

One extension for both chrome and firefox I recommand is AutoPager.
It's pretty handy and has rules for almost every site. Making rules is easy as fuck too.

Also, FBPurity for anyone who uses facebook. It's a greasemonkey script though, so for both chrome and ff

Chrome:
Sexy Undo Close: Cheesy name, but since Chrome lacks the restore tab feature, this is one of the best replacements. You can actually filter the tabs and stuff.

Chrome Gestures: IppE602 already suggested this. I actually don't use it for the gestures. I use it for the smooth scrolling. I just can't stand browsers than have like instant scroll. Confuses the shit out of my eyes :< Opera has it by default, firefox has it in options, chrome needs it built in really bad.

Firefox:
I haven't been on FF for a while, but here's some I used

Better GReader: For anyone that uses Google Reader, this is beast
Tab Mix Plus: of course, this is a must have
Skipscreen: amazing if you dl shit on crappy hosts like rapidshit. It does all the button pressing for you and starts the download.
Download statusbar: shows your download status on a bar at the bottom. I don't like the download manager.
Drag & DropZones: you can drag text or images, then boxes appear. You can set boxes for like Youtube/Wiki search, or Save image as, Copy link location, and all that crap. It pretty much makes common tasks a lot faster.
anonymous_old

Nekoroll wrote:

Is there a way to make my multiple tabs on Opera not look like I have multiple browser windows open on the taskbar?
Upgrade to the beta. Opera devs realized people hated this and removed it.

Nekoroll wrote:

Also, is there a way to make it like the old Opera where when you tile tabs, when you resize a tab's size it also adjusts the window adjacent to it? I don't like them to be just floating tab windows and would prefer my tiled tab windows to be fixed to my resolution if I want to adjust their size when Opera is maximized. This is not to be confused with having Opera automatically tile new tabs when I open them. Already have that set.
Not ... sure at all what you're talking about.
Nekoroll

strager wrote:

Not ... sure at all what you're talking about.
Firefox with 2 tabs with Split Browser enabled:

Firefox with one of the tabs resized to be narrower:

Opera with 2 tabs in tiled mode:

Opera with one of the tabs resized to be narrower:

What I meant by how Opera tiled tabs are just floating windows:

Since you say that they changed Opera to hold multiple tabs in one browser icon on the taskbar, I wonder if they changed the tiling system to have the tabs resize with each other like how I have my Firefox one set up. Not sure if you know.
Loginer

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Web of Trust: A handy add-on that tells you if a site is trustworthy or not.
Opera has this built-in.
Web of Trust is much more than just basic phishing protection. Click here to read more about it; there is an extension for Opera, and I'd highly recommend it to everyone regardless of "web savviness".

Ph0X wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Read It Later: Lets you tag pages you stumble upon for quick access later.
They have no ext for chrome, so I use the bookmarklet. Works perfectly, don't really see why I would need an addon for this.
I'm not familiar with this bookmarklet, but having a tag button on the address bar and a dedicated reading list makes the whole process a bit more convenient. It can also automatically save pages for offline viewing, which really comes in handy on netbooks/laptops.

Ph0X wrote:

Fail link though, goes to RiL extension :(
Fixed.
Cuddlebun
DownloadHelper, NoScript, and chatzilla for firefox
NotShinta
All extensions are useless learn to organise and shit
Ph0X

IAmNotShinta wrote:

I'd go with the exact opposite. A browser is like an empty pizza bread, you have to add the addons you like over it to give it taste. I can't even imagine how people can use it bare-bone (maybe less for opera but definitely for firefox). I would definitely not be able to browse without mine.

Loginer: ChromeTabs still goes to RiL.

Also, bookmarklets are mini javascript bookmarks
http://readitlaterlist.com/add
Jarby

Ph0X wrote:

"I go with the exact opposite. A browser is like an empty pizza bread, you have to add the addons you like over it to give it taste. I can't even imagine how people can use it bare-bone (maybe less for opera but definitely for firefox). I would definitely not be able to browse without mine.
That analogy is terrible, I eat bread on its own all the time.
Cuddlebun
pizza bread not regular bread
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

IAmNotShinta wrote:

I'd go with the exact opposite. A browser is like an empty pizza bread, you have to add the addons you like over it to give it taste. I can't even imagine how people can use it bare-bone (maybe less for opera but definitely for firefox). I would definitely not be able to browse without mine.
Lots of people use browsers without add-ons, but no one eats pizzas without topping. I'd say a browser without add-ons is more like a Margherita.

Ph0X wrote:

Loginer: ChromeTabs still goes to RiL.
Nope. You must be doing the same thing I did when double-checking: Looking at a quote.
Jarby

Todesengal wrote:

pizza bread not regular bread
Bread is bread, Tode.
Shohei Ohtani
This is the only thing I felt like downloading. Pretty useful, as most songs that I map generally don't have an mp3.
oddysea682
AdThwart (its like ad blocker), WOT, Gmail checker, dictionary, and the weather channel
I use chrome
Cuddlebun
yeah but pizza bread is shit without at least cheese
Topic Starter
mekadon_old

Todesengal wrote:

yeah but pizza bread is shit without at least cheese
Or even butter/marmalade...
Ph0X

Loginer wrote:

[Lots of people use browsers without add-ons, but no one eats pizzas without topping. I'd say a browser without add-ons is more like a Margherita.
That's because they don't know any better.
What I was trying to say is, people who use browsers without addons are not getting the full experience.
I guess though so many people use barebone computers with no extra programs or anything. I don't know, I just believe that the browser is one of the places that you spend the most time on usually, and for me, customizing it to my needs is really important.
Pokebis
How old do you have to be to legally drink a Margherita in Sweden?
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

What I was trying to say is, people who use browsers without addons are not getting the full experience.

Pokebis wrote:

I don't think we're on the same page here. A Margherita is a pizza topped only with tomato, cheese and basil.
Ph0X

Loginer wrote:

Ph0X wrote:

Pokebis wrote:

I don't think we're on the same page here. A Margherita is a pizza topped only with tomato, cheese and basil.
Well it's different browser to browser. Like I said Opera comes with far more features, but has no addons support. Personally, I think that's bad because not everyone wants sync and stuff, so they're just slowing shit down for everyone. But yea, firefox has to be one of the most barebone browsers out there though.
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Well it's different browser to browser. Like I said Opera comes with far more features, but has no addons support. Personally, I think that's bad because not everyone wants sync and stuff, so they're just slowing shit down for everyone. But yea, firefox has to be one of the most barebone browsers out there though.
I agree with what you're saying, you just keep missing the point I'm trying to make. A pizza Margherita is a better browser-without-addons metaphor than empty pizza bread: You can eat it, but it'd taste better with more topping.
Atmey

Ph0X wrote:

Chrome:
Sexy Undo Close: Cheesy name, but since Chrome lacks the restore tab feature, this is one of the best replacements. You can actually filter the tabs and stuff.
I use CTRL+SHIFT+T works on both chrome and FF

Loginer wrote:

Firefox Sync: Lets you securely store bookmarks, passwords and settings on the cloud and sync them between computers. Will become a built-in feature in Firefox 4.
I use Xmarks, it syncs between firefox, IE and chrome. I just need the IE part to sync with my iPhone.

Adblock Plus
Autopager: useful for online manga reading, compatible with onemanga and mangastream. Chrome's alternatives: Autopagerizer, AutoPatchWork, FastestChrome.
Download statusbar: less windows = better
Firebug: although I prefer chrome's built-in inspect
Smart bookmarks bar: makes bookmarks bar with only favicon