forum

Is alternating bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
osuNick
Recently I've been taking an interest in the way other (especially pro) players play the game and I've noticed that the majority of them use 1 finger for everything but streams. Whereas the way I learned to play was by alternating fingers for every beat. Is this wrong? Will it create a "skill ceiling" for me that will stop me from progressing unless I change my playstyle? Any input or feedback is appreciated.
Lagel
Do what's best for you, it's preference. Some people say alternating is bad for jumping but good for speed, some people say single tapping is superior, it's just preference. If you can get good with alternating then do that
Gumpy
No it's not bad.
deletemyaccount

osuNick wrote:

Recently I've been taking an interest in the way other (especially pro) players play the game and I've noticed that the majority of them use 1 finger for everything but streams. Whereas the way I learned to play was by alternating fingers for every beat. Is this wrong? Will it create a "skill ceiling" for me that will stop me from progressing unless I change my playstyle? Any input or feedback is appreciated.
No.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference; one is not better than the other. You can argue pros and cons for each but realistically, everyone is different; don't feel obliged to change your playstyle to something that doesn't work for you just because other players do.
Bauxe
By single tapping, you are essentially keeping the same speed throughout the map. When you alternate, you will be essentially streaming at half speed for most of the map, then full speed on streams.

People usually find single tapping to be more precise with aim, however alternating makes fast single taps much easier (alternating 300bpm singletaps is no different to streaming 150bpm streams in terms of finger movement).

The best way to play is be able to do both. Then you can use either of them when you feel the situation suits.
KanoSet
nah it's not. keep playing however u want ^^
leepdesu

Gumpyyy wrote:

No it's not bad.
Upskirt
Do everything, it will adjust. c:
Sero
I alternate...the biggest difference between singletap and alternate is the fact that alternating needs more control for a high accuracy, but you won't have to practice singletap speed for high BPMs because...well, you just alternate.

My experience regarding alternate playstyle:
Pro
+not as limited by BPM of maps (more maps to play)
+more stamina
+both fingers get equal amount of practice
+less strain (!)
+more fun =P

Con
-requires more control for high accuracy, even if it's just 1/2s (OD10 at least)
-long time to get comfortable at it
-harder to stay on beat on streams (really subjective)

When one finger is dominant, it can act as a metronome for the other, thus making a stream just 1/2 with notes in between for the other finger to tap. I'd recommend just sticking to one and switching when you are not happy with your results...you won't be limited by your playstyle in that regard, don't fret. Experimentation can only help you improve.
Ziassan
A common use is to single tap spaced pattern, and when a stream/triplet/other fast thing come, to alternate.
autoteleology
I alternate. I think that it's something that is, initially, very difficult to get the hang of (especially during complex rhythms, where it is very easy to get your fingers tangled up), but in end-game skillsets, probably triumphs over single-tap or hybrid tapping.
pandaBee
Alternating is fun and it forces you to develop good finger control. Id say stick with it.
trebby
I like to alternate on fast songs, since my single tapping isn't fast enough. It's not bad at all, lots of players make it work.
uzzi
Objectively speaking, alternating is far more superior to single tapping.
Yuudachi-kun

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Objectively speaking, single-tapping is far superior to alternating.
bigfeh
Singletapping >> alternating

Alternating hurts your speed and is bad, though I wouldn't recommend anyone to make the switch unless 1. they wanted to or 2. they were having problems with speed

I should definitely note, however that it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
B1rd

-LeeP- wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

No it's not bad.
Yuudachi-kun

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed and is bad, though I wouldn't recommend anyone to make the switch unless 1. they wanted to or 2. they were having problems with speed

I should definitely note, however that it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
I've taped my tablet pen in place on my desk and now wipe the tablet around the pen to aim; I've found I've become a lot better after a few days practice with this.
-sev

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed and is bad
Here we go again.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I've taped my tablet pen in place on my desk and now wipe the tablet around the pen to aim; I've found I've become a lot better after a few days practice with this.
as a mouse player, I feel cheated

I tried this with the mousepad and it didn't work for shit
GhostFrog
Just do whatever feels most comfortable and don't force yourself to play any specific way. I don't think alternating overall hurts your streaming potential because while it does prevent you from training stamina on singletaps, it allows you to play maps with higher bpm short streams, since you won't get tired out from all the "singletaps" in-between. I suspect players who alternate end up with lower sustained stream speed and higher burst stream potential than singletappers in general, but I have absolutely no basis for that conclusion beyond theorycrafting and my personal experience with alternating.
[HDHR]
I've always fully alternated and when i started i also had the same question so i'd like to point some things:

- Alternating is like streaming throught everything - Wrong - Alternating also has a singletap "mode" which is when you click harder on the keys and/or also use your wrist.

- Alternating is obviously faster than singletap (when singletaping).

- Singletap is probably more accurate than alternating but not a very significant difference and it gives a better overall control specially in patterns.

- Alternating is harder to master.

Some other facts:

- You don't simply singletap everything but streams, everyone ends up having to alternate.

- (this one is just an opinion) i believe singletapers sometimes need to decide between alternating or singletaping while alternators dont need to decide that and being able to start streams with both fingers it's a plus.
[HDHR]
Also alternating iis less harmfull to the wrist when playing for an extended ammount of time
bigfeh

[HDHR] wrote:

Also alternating iis less harmfull to the wrist when playing for an extended ammount of time
Honey, the wrist is still the same. No amount of alternating will hurt it less or more
nrl

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed and is bad
There's no logical reason for it to hurt your speed substantially, single-tapping and streaming don't have much overlap in terms of hand movements. And even if alternating doesn't train speed as much, you'll be leagues ahead of single-tappers in terms of hand synchronization, which is important for things like spaced streams. That plus the obvious increase in stamina more than makes up for whatever shortcomings alternating may have. Honestly, the only reason it isn't as prevalent as single-tapping is because it's less intuitive and has a stigma.

bigfeh wrote:

Honey, the wrist is still the same. No amount of alternating will hurt it less or more
Yo, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. You don't move your wrist at all when you alternate, and the vast majority of players single-tap exclusively with their wrist.
[HDHR]

bigfeh wrote:

[HDHR] wrote:

Alternate using the wrist for more control and accuracy
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
bigfeh

[HDHR] wrote:

Alternate using the wrist for more control and accuracy
are you being intentionally dense?
autoteleology

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed
Hahaha wut? How do you get more speed with one finger over two fingers?
show more