forum

Not Gaining Ranks, Only Losing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LemonScentedAss
I've been playing Taiko for a while now and I just recently passed #4000 in global. But for some reason, no matter how many maps I play or how much pp I should earn per play, I can't get passed my current rank of #3,812. About an hour before posting this, I was #3,808, but somehow lost 5 ranks. This has been happening to me a lot recently, and it's very rare for me to gain ranks right now. I know that the higher you go the harder it is to pass ranks, but I haven't gained a single rank at all today, and have gained very few in the last week or two. I was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening, because it's starting to make me really angry with all the hard work I put into some maps only to lose ranks from it.
IamBaum
That is absolutely normal for this game genre.
Everybody reaches some "walls" after quite some time. That means that ur progress will stop until u get a certain "skill boost", that usually happens overnight.
The longer u play a certain mode, the more often u will reach a wall and the longer it will take to overcome them.
I also already had countless progress stops in mania and i'm already at a point where i need several months to see the slightest improvement (in terms of skill or pp gain).
Just keep playing and one day u will suddenly be able to raise your ranks further, until you reach your next wall :)
Topic Starter
LemonScentedAss

IamBaum wrote:

That is absolutely normal for this game genre.
Everybody reaches some "walls" after quite some time. That means that ur progress will stop until u get a certain "skill boost", that usually happens overnight.
The longer u play a certain mode, the more often u will reach a wall and the longer it will take to overcome them.
I also already had countless progress stops in mania and i'm already at a point where i need several months to see the slightest improvement (in terms of skill or pp gain).
Just keep playing and one day u will suddenly be able to raise your ranks further, until you reach your next wall :)
Okay, that all makes sense. It's just weird that I haven't gained a single rank, but I'll keep playing and see where it gets me. Thanks!
Conor
Vuelo Eluko
you've barely played
lolcubes
Start playing taiko maps instead of converts. You won't be able to progress unless you learn to play harder Oni difficulties, which you can't if you just play converts. :p
Raiden

lolcubes wrote:

Start playing taiko maps instead of converts. You won't be able to progress unless you learn to play harder Oni difficulties, which you can't if you just play converts. :p
This ^

I just don't get how people get so far by playing only converted maps.

I mean, you can do whatever you want, it's your life.

But not playing taiko specific diffs will just hinder your progress...
ikin5050
Learning to play oni difficulties would help a lot since you would learn more different patterns, and they're more fun
Intelli

ikin5050 wrote:

Learning to play oni difficulties would help a lot since you would learn more different patterns, and they're more fun
In general, less converts
Sublime

lolcubes wrote:

Converts meaning downloading osu standard and just switching modes to taiko? Like, it's just better to download taiko specific maps?
TimmyAkmed

darklime wrote:

Converts meaning downloading osu standard and just switching modes to taiko? Like, it's just better to download taiko specific maps?
Converts are the maps that you can play in every game modes. Thoses maps are supposed to be played only on Std.

If you want to get better at Taiko you should definitely play Taiko specific maps. (The maps that are playable only with taiko mode)
Playing Std converted maps can help you improve some skills like "accuracy" on 1/2 patterns and Big notes reading. The problem with convert is that the structure of the patterns you will meet is totally different and most of time unreadable without learning them.

On the other side, Taiko only maps will help you works on the pattern reading skill and... that's all imo but it's the most important in Taiko, being able to recognize the patterns as fast as possible.

In the end, if you want to get what peoples call "good", play only Taiko specific maps.
Sublime

TimmyAkmed wrote:

darklime wrote:

Converts are the maps that you can play in every game modes. Thoses maps are supposed to be played only on Std.

If you want to get better at Taiko you should definitely play Taiko specific maps. (The maps that are playable only with taiko mode)
Playing Std converted maps can help you improve some skills like "accuracy" on 1/2 patterns and Big notes reading. The problem with convert is that the structure of the patterns you will meet is totally different and most of time unreadable without learning them.

On the other side, Taiko only maps will help you works on the pattern reading skill and... that's all imo but it's the most important in Taiko, being able to recognize the patterns as fast as possible.

In the end, if you want to get what peoples call "good", play only Taiko specific maps.
I appreciate the reply from someone worthy :D The problem I have so far with taiko vs standard is that when I started playing standard, I always started with easy and normal maps. With taiko, I see mainly oni and muzukashii which obviously aren't at my level.
Any recommendations for beginners?

Also, on drum rolls, my keys don't register each hit...even if I don't spam and go slow; something seems wrong there.
Raiden
Put "Futsuu" or "Kantan" as keywords in the beatmap searching and you should be fine. There are more Taiko specific diffs nowadays
black_arachnia
That's what I call being on tilt, and I quit playing for a few days and then when I get back into the game I turn into God at it for no reason.

So yeah, it happens. I thought I was stuck at a wall for awhile too, but it's just normal. If you are messing up a lot it's usually a sign for you to stop playing for awhile and let your body take a rest. Especially for your fingers, since you don't want them to feel jittery or cramped.