forum

Your gameplay experience from mouse to tablet.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FrzR
I'm a mouse+kb user. Been using my Logitech G400s for over a year now and bought a Logitech G402. (friend wants to buy the G400s for less)
While getting my mouse I decided to get a tablet as well because my budget was "kinda" loose, so I got a Genius Easypen i405x. Some friends have it and they said it has a bit of delay compared to what they have experienced from Wacom but I didn't really care since Wacom tablets are too expensive for me.

My first experience was like "wow tab players play like this? myaimsuckshalp" but after 3 days of "training" I got my favorite tablet area and got a bit used to the game especially with jumps. I seem to get used to it faster than by mouse although my problem was my shaky aim because I preferred hovering than dragging. Wanted to continue playing with tab for a few months and just have fun with it.

What about you guys?
(pls insta-lock if dupe I did search for it but no match and also, maybe move to General Discussion?)
KanoSet
yet osu lost another mouse player
good luck
gregest
when I got my tablet I wanted to switch back to mouse because it was hard to get used to it,but after 3 week,I got used to it and it's good
Topic Starter
FrzR

KanoSet wrote:

yet osu lost another mouse player
good luck
not really. I did say a few months so I'm still coming back to using mouse lol
Noobsicle
tried playing tablet on/off for around a month, don't know if my tablet hates me for using full screen + small area or my grip just sucks or medium sized tablets just don't work well with osu but cba trying to get decent at tablet (didn't buy it exclusively for osu anyway so yeyeyeeyeyeye)

mouse feels more natural to me
Yuudachi-kun
In two hours I was at my skill level with the mouse; within a week I went from 114k to 26k. Four months later I am here. That's my experience. Mouse feels so much more unnatural.
trebby
During my first week I played tablet terrible, it took me about a few weeks before I could reach back to my skill level from mouse. But it was all uphill from there, I don't regret buying a tablet at all.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

In two hours I was at my skill level with the mouse; within a week I went from 114k to 26k. Four months later I am here. That's my experience. Mouse feels so much more unnatural.
Tablet doesn't make you instantly better, and I've said this already - it's just that you usually have more practice with a pen, since, well, we've all written a lot with pens and pencils.

However, even though every possible setting is equally hard to learn and practice, the problem with mouse and the reason people think it's hard is dead simple: most people are incapable, borderline retarded with a mouse. And it's not meant to be an offense - I'll probably be just that with a tablet if I try to play with once, especially given that... let's just say I was never a big fan of writing down stuff in school.

"Mouse feels unnatural" pretty much sums up the reason why people think you'll see an improvement that big. I've always liked mice and probably have more experience using a mouse than writing with a pen by now.

So, tl;dr? Yeah, guise, you just suck with the mouse. I'd probably suck with a tablet.
gregest

bigfeh wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Tablet doesn't make you instantly better, and I've said this already - it's just that you usually have more practice with a pen, since, well, we've all written a lot with pens and pencils.

However, even though every possible setting is equally hard to learn and practice, the problem with mouse and the reason people think it's hard is dead simple: most people are incapable, borderline retarded with a mouse. And it's not meant to be an offense - I'll probably be just that with a tablet if I try to play with once, especially given that... let's just say I was never a big fan of writing down stuff in school.

"Mouse feels unnatural" pretty much sums up the reason why people think you'll see an improvement that big. I've always liked mice and probably have more experience using a mouse than writing with a pen by now.

So, tl;dr? Yeah, guise, you just suck with the mouse. I'd probably suck with a tablet.
I reached 22k with mouse and I switched to tablet not because I wanted to but because I had to,I have RSI in my shoulder (not from osu) and I move my whole arm with mouse that's why I switched to tablet
KanoSet

bigfeh wrote:

i love you
otoed1
I used to play tablet, I reached rank 15k with it. I have found that I prefer mouse because, despite it feeling less natural allows me to play in a more "analog" style. When I played tab I spent a lot of time just dragging over jumps, so while I was able to hit many of them consistently, I wasn't reading particularly well and my accuracy was very poor. I have since returned to mouse and my accuracy has improved greatly, although I find streams that change in speed a massive pain to deal with and some series of jumps are more difficult. Additionally, because mice use your whole hand to aim nervousness affects your play less when it comes to aim, as shakiness is not as apparent.
Yuudachi-kun

bigfeh wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I don't have more practice with a pen than a mouse; you can't compare writing ability -> osu ability in the same way you can't say that using a mouse to operate a computer should have translated to osu ability. I've had more hours spent using a mouse than using a pen in my lifetime so I don't have more experience with a pen.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I don't have more practice with a pen than a mouse; you can't compare writing ability -> osu ability in the same way you can't say that using a mouse to operate a computer should have translated to osu ability. I've had more hours spent using a mouse than using a pen in my lifetime so I don't have more experience with a pen.
I have experience playing shit with the mouse, so I'm really at home here. I'm not saying FPS (cough cod cough), moba or RTS skills "transfer" to osu!, it's just that if you've played games with the mouse your whole life, you really are at home here

Now, using the mouse to click buttons and navigate the web doesn't require mad 1337 skillz, but when you play games with it, you, well, learn how to play more games with it. I'm not gonna be instant-cookiezi or anything though
Gumpy
I was horseshit with mouse when I got a tablet there wasn't much to beat.
pandaBee

Kheldragar wrote:

Please write a book chronicling your rise to greatness and sign me a copy.
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Please write a book chronicling your rise to greatness and sign me a copy.
Chapter 1: The rise to greatness

I bought a tablet and then I played a few hours everyday.

Fin

That will be three pounds fifty, please.
gregest
people give up playing with mouse so easily "eh,I can't pass big image dive after 2 minutes of joining with mouse,mouse sucks"
Yuudachi-kun
The big scarlet rainbow airman image dive* [Big money Big Gangsta]
pandaBee
I got used to my tablet almost immediately, within the first day for sure. I was pretty much better than I was with a mouse on the 2nd day. I started out dragging, then switched to hovering and that transition took me a lot longer to get used to, since you have to learn how to not hover too far from the tablet.

The actual hard part is finding a good active area that suits you. That took me almost 2 months. To be fair though, this is a similar analogy to mouse dpi/sens so this is certainly not a distinction that one should use in weighing one option over the other.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

Through the big scarlet rainbow airman image dive's end* [Second Big money Big Gangsta freeze]
ftfy

also

Gumpyyy wrote:

I was horseshit with mouse when I got a tablet there wasn't much to beat.
my point
uberpancake
Just something I've been wondering, aren't tablet areas in general larger than mouse areas? We like to explain why tablet is good with things like absolute positioning, but what if a big part of it is just using a bigger area while retaining the amount of control?
pandaBee

uberpancake wrote:

Just something I've been wondering, aren't tablet areas in general larger than mouse areas? We like to explain why tablet is good with things like absolute positioning, but what if a big part of it is just using a bigger area while retaining the amount of control?
Try setting your dpi to 1 and see how big that 'mouse area' is.

I'm not even sure if you can set it to 1, but theoretically it makes my point.
otoed1

uberpancake wrote:

I use 500 dpi and used to think it was too high. I'm only now getting used to it.
ZenithPhantasm
I tried out tablet for a few hours and realized my mouse aim was starting to suffer because my tablet muscle memory was overwriting my mouse muscle memory. I stopped using tablet because I prize my mouse aim over my tablet aim.
uberpancake

pandaBee wrote:

uberpancake wrote:

Try setting your dpi to 1 and see how big that 'mouse area' is.

I'm not even sure if you can set it to 1, but theoretically it makes my point.
But you can't play with that area while retaining your control, can you?

The lowest anyone comfortably plays with is 400 dpi at 1920x1080 (that I know of). That's a play area of 3.6 x 2.7 inches

A ctl-480 meanwhile has a play area of 4.9 x 3.7 full area. Maybe my idea is wrong, but I figured that I might as well bring it up.
ZenithPhantasm
show more