forum

Cities: Skylines

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Renevant

Cities: SkyLines

Didn't see a thread on this, anyone play this game? It's got the same concept as SimCity, but is way better in terms of customization and easiness.
Deimos

Renevant wrote:

It's got the same concept as SimCity, but is way better in terms of customization and easiness.[/centre]
At least we don't need to buy an "addon/DLC" to improve the traffic horror
Topic Starter
Renevant

Deimos wrote:

At least we don't need to buy an "addon/DLC" to improve the traffic horror
Oh god, yah. The car crashes made me feel so bad when I played that game. ;w;
The traffic is easy to control in this one.

Also, instead of just randomly spawning cars, each car and person actually has a purpose and you can track them as they go around the city.
Some of the stuff is really silly.
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I've always wanted to play this game. I'm a big sucker for simulation games like this. My laptop, however, can't run it. :c

Exactly how easy is it? The only other city-building game that I've played is SimCity 4, which I consider to be really hard. :p
Topic Starter
Renevant

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

I've always wanted to play this game. I'm a big sucker for simulation games like this. My laptop, however, can't run it. :c

Exactly how easy is it? The only other city-building game that I've played is SimCity 4, which I consider to be really hard. :p
Its very easy to make income on this game even if your layout is really dumb.
I also played SimCity 4 quite a bit and it was very difficult to even get a positive income every year on that game. Plus you can never tell when's the right moment to move to switch to medium residential and what not. I felt that you had to build your city a certain way in order to make a good one (Plus the departments getting angry every two seconds was really discouraging).

This game unlocks things as you go on, basically making it so you arn't overwhelmed with options. You gradually unlock high residential zone, office buildings, unique buildings, etc.
It's very forgiving on money. You can reduce the bus services to nothing and itll only reduce the amount of buses, rather than their quality. Same goes for all utilities. Plus the game tells you EXACTLY where the problem is. If one person has low land value or is its too noisy, the person "complains" or has a little symbol thing over their house that tells you whats wrong and what you need to do to fix it.

Its very common to have a ridiculous amount of excess money on this game. Plus time moves a lot faster, so its easier to gain it. The game basically tells you everything you need to do to fix your city, yet still allows you to customize it however you like.
a1l2d3r4e5d6
Sounds like my type of game. My other question is: How big can you build cities? I enjoy building really large cities, does this game allow for that, or are spaces limited to a small area like in SimCity (2013)?
Deimos

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

Sounds like my type of game. My other question is: How big can you build cities? I enjoy building really large cities, does this game allow for that, or are spaces limited to a small area like in SimCity (2013)?
at the start you will begin normally with the same areasize like SimCity, by increasing the population you will get the ability to unlock up to 8 more areas
found on reddit

SimCity 4 (2003) - largest <1> size: 16 km²
SimCity (2013) - unmodded: 4 km²
SimCity (2013) - modded: 9 km²
Cities: Skylines - unmodded: 36 km²
Cities: Skylines - modded: 100 km²
Topic Starter
Renevant

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

A follow up on Deimos's post:

This is should give you an idea about the size of each square:

It is more than enough room, especially with the mods. You can do some really fun stuff with it.
https://imgur.com/a/rvZFF
a1l2d3r4e5d6
That's pretty big. :O

I'll definitely be getting this after my pc build project is finished. Thanks for the info guys. :D
Gumpy
I got lost in the first few minutes
[ yogurt ]
I like it, but i have literally ZERO idea how to build an efficient city.
Topic Starter
Renevant

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

I like it, but i have literally ZERO idea how to build an efficient city.
This game is pretty stupid-friendly, so even if you arn't efficient, you'll end up making income. Of course there are ways to be efficient and make way more money though. I can answer specific questions about efficiency in a general area like pollution,traffic, etc.

This post explains efficient ways pretty clearly.

There's stuff like:
"Hospital:
For 65.000 with 2400 upkeep this bad boy can send out 25 ambulances and handle up to 500 patients. Therefore it will cost you €96 per ambulance or €4.8 per bed. The range is about twice that of the medical clinic (about 1.5-2 tiles). Although it looks cool a combination of 4 local medical clinics is usually far more efficient in terms of costs, range and response time."

These provide some nice general tips on efficiency that arn't super strict like the requirements for SimCity were.