forum

[Archived] Recovering lost collections?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_vanity
Pretty much my problem is that when I opened osu! for the first time this evening, I ran into a weird issue. I was logged out and all of my settings had been set back to default. I'm really not sure as to what happened to my game. My skins, screenshots and songs still stayed in there place. Of course I had to process in every single one of maps again, thus losing my collections. I had help with a solution to recover my lost collections before, by removing a few .bak files, but this time there are none of those to get rid of. I also tried dragging out the existng collection.db out and back into the folder. It didn't fix my problem and it's the same file that has always sat there. Is there any other possible way to recover my lost collections? Thanks.

Here's what my osu! folder looks like currently:

osu! version: 20150401.2 (latest)
Nathanael
Your collections are stored inside the file named collection.db so you can make a copy of it somewhere as a back-up.
Judging from your current osu! folder, your collections is still there.
Topic Starter
_vanity
I wish.

Nathanael
Have you ever tried restarting osu! ?
Back-up the collections at the meantime.
Topic Starter
_vanity
Yup. Sadly, it did not fix the issue.
Nathanael
Check the file properties of this file and disable Read-only if it's enabled.
Topic Starter
_vanity
It's disabled. Anything else that I might be able to try? Thanks for the help so far.
Nathanael
Hmm.

Make an exact copy of the collections and replace it.
If that doesn't work, read the file using a text editing tool and check if your group names at the collection is there, but don't edit anything.
Topic Starter
_vanity
Opened it up in Notepad and it seems to be blank. As a last resort, I will try restoring my system to a restore point that I luckily have from this morning. I'll reply with the outcome here in a few minutes. :)
Topic Starter
_vanity
Did not go as expected. I think we are out of solutions here?
VeilStar
Don't do anything just yet. (Because you might take a wrong turn.)
There are issues with collections at the moment. Hopefully it'll get fixed very soon.

(Not entirely sure if this is related to your issue, but given that your collections.db is 24kb I assume it is.)
Topic Starter
_vanity

VeilStar wrote:

Don't do anything just yet. (Because you might take a wrong turn.)
There are issues with collections at the moment. Hopefully it'll get fixed very soon.

(Not entirely sure if this is related to your issue, but given that your collections.db is 24kb I assume it is.)
Thanks for the heads up. :D
KingMarmot

Nathanael wrote:

Your collections are stored inside the file named collection.db so you can make a copy of it somewhere as a back-up.
Judging from your current osu! folder, your collections is still there.
This solved the issue for me. i had to restart the game for it to work. I reinstalled windows with my new hardware the other day. I set my old drive user folder "permisson" to "FUll-control" for "everyone". and copy the database file