forum

what is your worst anime art that you ever watched?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Gallow Bell ]
my worst anime art that i ever watch is aku no hana :x
i recently read the description of the story and i really like it and tried to watch it then i saw the art :o :o
I really like the story but the art was bad that i couldnt ever watch it :cry:

im not really trying to say that it was that horrible but its just my point of view that the story was good but the art was not really satisfying : :|

by the way this is the art of aku no hana :) i guess manga is much better

Green Platinum
I don't know why they chose their approach for Aku no Hana (Filming live action then drawing over it) It makes the characters' appearance and movement appear really awkward but the series' backgrounds looks amazing.

Expecting in this thread:
Ping-pong the animation
Kingdom or Knights of Sidonia (Any purely CG series)
Kanon 2002
Topic Starter
[ Gallow Bell ]

Green Platinum wrote:

I don't know why they chose their approach for Aku no Hana (Filming live action then drawing over it) It makes the characters' appearance and movement appear really awkward but the series' backgrounds looks amazing.

Expecting in this thread:
Ping-pong the animation
Kingdom or Knights of Sidonia (Any purely CG series)
Kanon 2002
yep i agree with you the art was awkward but amazing series :D
Renevant

Green Platinum wrote:

Kanon 2002
pretty much
Fezzes_old
I don't know if I have just been lucky or what but I haven't seen many "bad" anime series..
But if I would have to say one that I finished it would be Trinity Seven
It was too cheesy and the characters were kinda bland.

Note This is the worst series I have completed.. there has been way worse but I don't list them because I didn't finish them.

Nothing to see here
Green Platinum

Fezzes wrote:

I don't know if I have just been lucky or what but I haven't seen many "bad" anime series..
But if I would have to say one that I finished it would be Trinity Seven
It was too cheesy and the characters were kinda bland.

Note This is the worst series I have completed.. there has been way worse but I don't list them because I didn't finish them.
Bad Anime Art mate
Fezzes_old
Oh god sorry I misread -_-
[ yogurt ]
Aku no Hana was rotoscoped, so not really bad art. Ping Pong had bad art intentionally, so it doesn't apply either.

Code Geass looks bad, but my vote is Kanon 2002.

I mean, really?
a1l2d3r4e5d6
Right now, I could only think of a few on the top of my head, so I might come back to this thread.

Rail Wars. There was nothing particularly different from it, to me it just felt like they didn't bother cleaning it up.
Green Platinum

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Ping Pong had bad art intentionally
I don't see how this invalidates it from this thread. Even if it had other intentions like keeping the style of the manga, bad art is still bad art.
Topic Starter
[ Gallow Bell ]

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Aku no Hana was rotoscoped, so not really bad art. Ping Pong had bad art intentionally, so it doesn't apply either.

Code Geass looks bad, but my vote is Kanon 2002.

I mean, really?

it depends on you if aku no hana is bad or not really bad :) but i only think that aku.. was bad because i watch lots of anime which is better than aku no hana :) and i also think that code geass is not really bad welp it depends on ya 8-) if its bad or not :D

but that kanon 2002 pic :lol: :lol: oh gad that was hilarious :lol:
Green Platinum

Gallowbell wrote:

but i only think that aku.. was bad because i watch lots of anime which is better than aku no hana
What do you mean by this? Being worse than the majority pretty much by definition means it is bad. It's also only the characters since we are used to anime-style distortion, you'd be hard pressed to find a series with better backgrounds that isn't a movie.
Topic Starter
[ Gallow Bell ]

Green Platinum wrote:

What do you mean by this? Being worse than the majority pretty much by definition means it is bad. It's also only the characters since we are used to anime-style distortion, you'd be hard pressed to find a series with better backgrounds that isn't a movie.

jeez my bad... im not saying that it wasthat bad ----- > wrong explanation :/ im not saying the backround was bad i mean the art is bothering me anyway dont mind that :3
Sanxu_old
Haven't watched it yet and it ain't exactly the worst but the absolutely horrid facial design of the characters are putting me off from putting Clannad on my backlog despite all the great things I hear about it. Like honestly half the screens I see their eyes aren't even on their fucking faces, what the shit?
[ yogurt ]

Green Platinum wrote:

I don't see how this invalidates it from this thread. Even if it had other intentions like keeping the style of the manga, bad art is still bad art.

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Ping Pong had bad art intentionally
doesn't really convey what I had in mind.

You may ignore this or not, do whatever. It's off topic.
It depends on how you define "bad" art. Does it just look bad? What makes an artstyle bad? Is it the feeling that you could do it better? People only deem things that don't look pleasing to them as bad, but it doesn't really work that way. At least from my perspective. If you don't like ,for example, Pablo Picasso, do you say he was a bad artist? Even though most of his work didn't even hear about proportions or perspective, he's not considered "bad". Yes Picasso could actually draw shit realistically. Well, kind of. I think what makes an art bad is that it fails to accurately describe what the painter, or in this case anime staff wants you to concentrate on.

Ping Pong is criticized for how it looks, but really why is that? I don't find Ping Pong art bad, in fact I really liked it. It was even silly at times, but if you look at it closely some frames had way better proportions and depicted humans more accurately than most of flashy chinese cartoons folks watch these days. CGI and complex colours? Who needs that. They kept it simple, and it felt human. And that's what made it's story reach out to viewers more that it would if it was a fancy CGI anime that would probably look even worse. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that's my view on this. And the animation was pretty smooth too.

In opposition, Kanon 2002 animation staff screwed up their job with horribly misplaced and blown out of proportion features. Maybe they were short on time or money, or maybe they were just not very skilled. I'm not sure. What I'm sure of though is that it in no way acted in favour of the viewers. It became a meme.
Mogsy
Yeah, I don't find the character art in Aku no Hana really all that bad myself. It's sketchy rotoscope against photorealistic backgrounds and that causes a really weird clash that adds to the ambiance of the show; it's an uncanny valley effect, intended to make you extremely uncomfortable.

Similarly, I don't think Ping Pong had bad art. It's Masaaki Yuasa adapting Taiyou Matsumoto, and they both have styles that are different than the standard anime approach. They're simply a different approach, and it looks like a sketchy, runny interpretation of some rather detailed designs that are different from ther norm.

As far as worst overall art quality of a show that I've seen? In terms of pure quality control, either Musashi Gundoh, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, F/SN (Deen), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, or Kanon 2002.
tanteiRE
Hmm
Probably The Wallflower. I enjoyed it a lot more than I did with other anime, but better art could have gone a LONG way. The chibis looked like normal characters, and the normal characters looked like.. gah

I liked the art style of Ping Pong :)
yumi
I can't think of any shows with particularly bad art, besides Clannad, which I haven't actually watched yet. Shows with "bad" art tend to be counteracted by their outstanding story, in which case I would say that no show really has had bad art (that I can think of), which is why I still think of Ping Pong as an amazing show regardless of art, as it depicted the story perfectly.

Perhaps Jormungand, I remember thinking that the art was rather sharp(?) and it kinda put off the viewing experience, but i still thoroughly enjoyed the show
Green Platinum

heyitskry wrote:

Shows with "bad" art tend to be counteracted by their outstanding story, in which case I would say that no show really has had bad art (that I can think of), which is why I still think of Ping Pong as an amazing show regardless of art, as it depicted the story perfectly.
How does this even make sense. You wouldn't say X show has a terrible story but that is offset by it's amazing art, so why does it work in reverse. This discussion is exclusively about bad art, whether a series is good or bad really shouldn't come into this.