1. osu! forums
  2. Other
  3. General Discussion
posted
since the time ive staryed playing osu wasnt very popluar but in this year it growed alot do you guys thing it will be a massively played game??? because it get alot updates and it pretty well organized
tell me what you think in so curious x) :) .
posted
not if it gets sued by NCsoft
posted
I've been trying to make it popular by telling literally everyone I know about the game

It gets mentioned every time I get added by someone on steam

I even get my 7 year old sister to play it
posted
well yeah the copyrighting would be a problem ... and im also telling everyone haha but still i can become popular right?
posted
We might see 10 million users in the not so distant future, unless an unforeseeable event happens which would cause osu! to stop.

In the meantime, osu! is enjoying it's population of soon-to-be 6 million registered users (though I don't know how much of those users are actually active :p ).

As for spreading the word, I've forced one of my friends against his will to play this game. :P Not a lot of people around my area are interested in rhythm games.
posted

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

We might see 10 million users in the not so distant future, unless an unforeseeable event happens which would cause osu! to stop.

In the meantime, osu! is enjoying it's population of soon-to-be 6 million registered users (though I don't know how much of those users are actually active :p ).
We should be looking at the "xxxx online now." instead.
posted

-LeeP- wrote:

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

We might see 10 million users in the not so distant future, unless an unforeseeable event happens which would cause osu! to stop.

In the meantime, osu! is enjoying it's population of soon-to-be 6 million registered users (though I don't know how much of those users are actually active :p ).
We should be looking at the "xxxx online now." instead.
Agreed. A lot of people have dead accounts.
Mmm I think osu! will grow, but not that much. There are a lot of good rhythm games on PC including stuff like Stepmania but.. well I don't even know what happened to that but it seems like no one really plays it anymore.. that and in that case It probably just gets referred to as DDR.
But the market for rhythm games on PC and in general is really small. Most of the other rhythm games I play are on consoles or in arcades like Jubeat, ReflecBeat, DDR, Project Diva, etc. so there's little competition and not as many people looking to the PC for rhythm games, kind of like how a lot of people prefer to play fighting games on a console or in the arcade.
That and osu! seems to be mainly advertised through word of mouth which is keeping the growth pretty slow.
posted
good point .. but alot streamers (pro league players) also stream osu! so it will also get its atattention by that :D it would be just more fun with even more players. and yes there js
is a major dead account problem in osu
posted
To be honest, I don't think it'll even come close to being as popular as games like Minecraft and League of Legends.
posted
3 zillion users next century
posted

[ Momiji ] wrote:

not if it gets sued by NCsoft
why should it?
posted
Actually there's only about 600,000 users because of the thousand multi accounts everyone has.
posted

Kheldragar wrote:

Actually there's only about 600,000 users because of the thousand multi accounts everyone has.
Its interesting that so many have multi accounts because isnt it illegal to have those?

But now to topic. In my opinion osu! will never get to as popular like LoL, Dota 2 or CS:GO. Why? Because it isn't so interesting to watch in esports or in stream like those games.

What I actually try to say by that? Well nowadays biggest free advertisement for games is Streamers (especially Twitch) and Esport.

SC2 used to be big Esports and it had also much of players because of it. But since games started to be repetitive. (Same build orders, same tactics etc.) people started to get bored of it and started to also stop playing a game. And yes I know that SC2 is difficult game where 1on1 is most balanced game mode. 1on1 is too challenging/difficult for most people and it's reason why many players stopped playing the game.

Also Path of Exile got much of free advertisement when Kripparian used to play it. But why this can't happen to osu! ? Because osu! doesn't look so interesting for most of people.

If you compare Path of Exile and osu! for as example: in PoE you are exile which have left to island which is full of undead. You start to explore that island. As same time you play you learn more about world around you. Also there is over hundred of skills in that game which are visually impressive. Even though that game have it's own flaws like out of sync. But looking at the stream watchers might never notice that before they download and try the game. They only see "cool game".

What does our lovely gameosu! have (there was no sarcasm in that sentence). For stream watchers they only hear music playing and see us clicking circles. Normally game looks either really easy for them or really hard for them. But most of cases it doesn't look so interesting for normal stream watcher. Why? Because it isn't "cool". There isn't fighting, there isn't exploring, there isn't story behind it.

Even though I know that those things are only minor if you play game a lot (story is interesting when you play game first time, exploring is only fun when you haven't explored game fully already, fighting in game is fun when you are not fed of it already [in PvE game]). Still those things are which hook players in to game.

Those was things of casual PvE games like in: Diablo, PoE, GW2 and such. What about competitive games then? Since osu! is actually competitive game. At this moment I think most popular competitive games are: League of Legends, Dota 2, Hearthstone and CS:GO. In that order. I have also heard that Heroes of the Storm might some day come popular. If we don't count Hearthstone all those four are team games. When you go and try to play those games you can't play it solo. You have to play with team. With randoms or with your friends. It seems that team games are currently "in". Maybe because they are more interesting to watch. Or maybe because it's not so stressful to play team games than games like SC2 where there isn't no-one else to blame when you loose than yourself. (In 1on1 of course.)

And before you say that Hearthstone is 1on1 game and it have been very popular in Twitch for long time already I have my theory for it also. Someone said that players nowadays like to "unlock" things in games. Well if that is true there no wonder that Hearthstone is popular. You have many cards to get/unlock in that game. And also loosing in that game isn't so stressful than in SC2 for example. I have read articles and reviews from that game. And word which they like to use for that game is "fun". "This game is fun when you win and even when you loose". Personally I can't agree with that but if people think like that it's biggest reason why they might play that game so much.

Because when you win or loose that game you can't know is it because you just had better deck against to his deck. Or was it because you top decked better than your opponent. Or was it pure luck. Or was you actually just better player. Moldran said once that he just doesn't like the fact that when you win the match you just can't know that did you won the game because of luck or skill. Also that game is easy to get in to. You have much time to think your moves and you don't have to be that fast.

And then there is this last fact. HS is just more fun to watch for most people than osu! (even though I can't agree with that myself).

Since I have now said what I wanted to say (with wall of text) what is my actual opinion how popular will osu! get. osu! will get more popular but some day there will come wall against us because at least at this moment there is much of popular songs which some players will not like. I have friends which hate japanese/anime/asian songs and rather don't play those. Well osu! have much of them. It's majority of beatmap pool of this game. We also have western songs but near as much. It's not problem to me but it might be problem to others. Is it something which scares some players out of the game? I don't know that personally but I would not be suprised for it.

I have not said much of osu! pros in this post. Only cons. osu! is best possible rhytm game at this moment. It have nice community which makes beatmaps every day to this game so we will never run of content to play. If I'm not wrong at this moment we have almost 40 000 ranked beatmaps to play. So there should be something for everyone. We also have best leaderboards ever made to any game. And this game is highly modable. This is maybe best game to take advance of your muscle memory.

If you look at this: What Makes Games Good you can see that it includes six different things: Challenge, Feel, Freedom, Place, Promise and Fantasy. What of those osu have? I'm sure we have different opinions of it but I would say: Challenge, Feel, Freedom and Promise. Everyone knows osu! is challenging game. Feel is more complicated but I would say that if beatmap is really well done and it syncs well with music it gives me right to say that osu! also includes this feel. In osu! you have amazing freedom to do things. You can be part of community and develop game making beatmaps and skins. You can play all beatmaps in osu! or just one. This game have great promise of future. Well not maybe millions of active players of same time but this game evolves whole time!

So I would say this game is not for everyone. If you want to play game where you challenge your personal skills every day which doesn't involve any RNG (if we don't count really small lag between your client and server) then this is the game for you.


TL;DR
This game will get more popular but will never be like League of Legends, Dota 2 or CS:GO because clicking circles is not interesting to watch for random stream watcher.
posted

Therieri wrote:

TL;DR
This game will get more popular but will never be like League of Legends, Dota 2 or CS:GO because clicking circles is not interesting to watch for random stream watcher.
use a box man
posted

-LeeP- wrote:

Therieri wrote:

TL;DR
This game will get more popular but will never be like League of Legends, Dota 2 or CS:GO because clicking circles is not interesting to watch for random stream watcher.
use a box man
Oh yeah sorry. Now biggest part of text is in the box.
posted
It all depends. Lately we've seen increased number of gamer communities ( teams, clan's, whatever ) which usually consist of competitive games players like mentioned CS, LoL, DotA and so on. If those communities keep their interest in osu!, then all those people watching / playing other games competitions will get to see osu! tag right next to it, which may eventually lead to osu! getting more popular. Who knows, maybe one day we'll get to see it become an actual esport.
posted

Novalogic wrote:

Who knows, maybe one day we'll get to see it become an actual esport.
for this to happen score needs to not be combo-based anymore

imo this game needs some sort of multiplyer for landing in the middle of a circle
posted

Novalogic wrote:

Who knows, maybe one day we'll get to see it become an actual esport.

Magicsz wrote:

copyrighting would be a problem ...
a big one
posted
I hope osu! doesn't get any more popular. Smaller communities are always better, being mainstream tends to attract a lot of idiots. You can already see examples of this type of people as fanboys of popular players and streamers.
Not to mention all the issues with copyright.
posted

B1rd wrote:

I hope osu! doesn't get any more popular. Smaller communities are always better, being mainstream tends to attract a lot of idiots. You can already see examples of this type of people as fanboys of popular players and streamers.
Not to mention all the issues with copyright.
I also hope so my rank doesn't fall as quickly.
show more
Please sign in to reply.