forum

[invalid] Overhaul of the beatmap ranking system

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cola
Alright, so i've been thinking about what i dislike with the beatmap ranking system and i've come up with a solution that would hopefully improve the qualified section quite a bit.

Right now BAT's decide to qualify a map from where QAT's can decide to disqualify them if theres issues with it. I think the idea of this concept is quite nice to improve overall quality of ranked maps, but theres surely a flaw in the execution.

My idea basically is that BAT's qualify a map, as it was before, however maps that are in the qualified section will not be removed out of it, until a QAT decides to move it to ranked. Also if there are changes to be made, the map does not get unranked again and only scores of edited difficulties will be erased.

This way the qualified section is not something where mappers have to hope to just go through and not have any mistakes found. It would be overall less painful for anyone to put out a mod and the QAT's dont have to take the bullet to be the bad guy who unranks the map. Also changes in normal difficulty would not erase the 6-star FC of someone.

I don't know how possible this idea would be, but i think it might just be a better approach to it.
lenpai
Problem is, since you said that maps that go qualified will not lose its status and stuff, the BN teams gets new member every end of a month. This being implemented. Troll BNs can just like qualify a bubbled pp map and stuff if they're not serious about their job. (Mostly BNs under probation and new ones.)

Although the qualified section is a pain and a horror to get through it just shows that the BNs and at the same time mappers and modders should just do well with their stuff. Although *cough QATs could be too picky.
Bauxe
People need to stop caring so much when maps get unqualified.
Mao
See the post above, disqualifications are nothing bad and much more helpful than just letting it through as it also offers the mapper to improve their maps in most cases. Also people should just simply understand that it is their own risk to play a map there. If they want to play said 6-Star-Extra, then they either have to wait or to deal with the high chance of their score being erased due to a disqualification.
The idea itself wouldn't work I guess. Think of the scenario that a QAT found an issue but the mapper just simply doesn't care and doesn't do anything on their set for like 5 months and maps are not removed as you say. Like this maps would stack up in the qualified section that are maybe never going to be ranked.
Another case would be if it's a really low quality map and a QAT points that out and tells the mapper to find more mods at the end of their modpost. As we wouldn't remove maps from qualified as you said, the map would be modded in qualified status and therefore updated all the time which causes the score to be deleted what is apparently what you want to avoid with this system.
So well, all in all of course the system can and will be improved over time but what we currently have is a fine system. Especially players caring about losing their scores just simply have to read the cute little text in the qualified section saying that playing these maps is your own risk. Ranked is not Qualified like it almost used to be when it was still the old system. Now it IS actually a place where maps are QUALIFIED and not just a week in a section without anything happening there. Also if people don't want to have to hope, they should check their own maps in the first place and ask BNs they trust to approve them. As Loctav mentioned somewhere in the Beatmap Management subforum, they are working on a checklist of what QATs usually look for so that this is more accessable for mappers and BNs.
Anyways, just my two cents.