forum

[added] Subscribe to a mapper

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4,121
show more
GigaClon
The way i would do it would be to subscribe to a search term (for whatever) and would have a PM/email/BanchoBot note when there is a new ranked song
Aoko

ScarletSky wrote:

Like this idea, but only if it works for guest difficulties too, not just map creators.
True *Q*...
SonicFan344
Support!
I would like to subscribe osuplayer111 and Lanttu's maps
Aoko
Support!
I would like to subscribe osuplayer111, S i R i R u and etc.'s maps
Edited.
kyrenmearr
Yeah, I agree. It would be much easier to download maps.
-Athena-
Yet another way to stalk someone (careful val0108 and sekai and siriru :3) support!!
LKs
I don't support this, since this may cause a biased trend that the famous ones will be followed more and more and in the contrast, the unknown ones won't get ppl's notice forever. mappers will be polarized amazingly.
Mismagius

LKs wrote:

I don't support this, since this may cause a biased trend that the famous ones will be followed more and more and in the contrast, the unknown ones won't get ppl's notice forever. mappers will be polarized amazingly.
Isn't this the way it is right now?
Natteke

LKs wrote:

Wrong. Unknown mappers can't become famous in one day. It takes time. I once was a noob myself, just like everyone else, couldn't get any attention from modders.

If you work hard enough, fame will come eventually.
LKs

Natteke wrote:

Wrong. Unknown mappers can't become famous in one day. It takes time. I once was a noob myself, just like everyone else, couldn't get any attention from modders.

my friend, I’m not complaining for myself. and your opinion is typically like a rich capitalist thinks:"the poor one day will success only if they put huge efforts into their career/life."
but this is kind of self-centred, if you are in the poor's class, you will never think about this.

@ Blue Dragon: that's why I started up a free queue and I wanna be MAT. I wanna do my bit because I experienced many kinds of unfair treatments, I know that's tough.
Mismagius

LKs wrote:

Natteke wrote:

my friend, I’m not complaining for myself. and your opinion is typically like a rich capitalist thinks:"the poor one day will success only if they put huge efforts into their career/life."
but this is kind of self-centred, if you are in the poor's class, you will never think about this.

@ Blue Dragon: that's why I started up a free queue and I wanna be MAT. I wanna do my bit because I experienced many kinds of unfair treatments, I know that's tough.
I actually agree with Natteke - When I was a bad/novice mapper, sure, it was a bit easier with #mod, but I don't get my maps modded easily with crap like "mod4mod, since I am a MAT I could bubble your map! so mod4mod with me" which is completely unfair and pointless. Most people who say "oh god I'm such a ignored mapper, this is unfair, no one mods my map" probably never tried posting in mod queues (which was the way I used for 80% of my ranked maps) and then complain about it. It's not easy to have your first maps noticed, sure, but once you get it, things get better for the next maps. To compare, my first map got ranked in 4 months, and my second one, in 5 days. (it was easier that time, but still - the fact that you get trust from some modders makes it way better)

I'm not saying this as a "capitalist rich man" point of view, this is based on what happened with 99% of the famous mappers when they were newbies, and it always worked.
Natteke

LKs wrote:

Natteke wrote:

Huh, what are you proposing then? You won't get famous if you don't put effort and work your way through. To be honest, I consider myself a quite well known mapper and I find it pretty difficult to get my maps modded or ranked. Usually takes me up to 5 months to get a map ranked. I don't see what's your point, man
tieff
Believe me, if you will put enough effort and stuff you will became a good and experienced mapper. And a fame will come later.

Btw, personally, it takes from 5 days to 3-4 months for me to get a map ranked.
LKs
Er, seems I'm regarded as a poor mapper who urges a notice?

I just want to say bygone hardships will be regarded as much more easy things when you have been in higher class. So you can make a correct conclusion smoothly.
We have successfully went out, but there are still so many mappers are in it. They are dizzyed by the situation.

On my first post here, I have said this is unfair to common mappers, I considered this idea from those ppl's perspective.
Apart from one's own hard try, isn't it will be better if the environment is more compatible? (anyway my thought is only for those work hard and have a determination)

EDIT: All you three are great mappers and I don‘t wanna discuss too much that off-topic here, making more good maps will be much more practice heh. I must go sleep. Sadly, I still can't get rid of my poor English, sighhhh :o
Natteke
I dont know what you're talking about D:
Shiirn
Mapping is like any RPG, except it's purely social:

You level up by talking to people, making maps, getting mods, and getting friends. Your level increases as you make more friends and make more maps, earning experience.

You don't see a level 10 complaining about a level 50 kicking his ass, it's obvious that the level 50 is much more experienced, farmed, and generally played the game much longer. He's earned the ability to kick level 10 ass (this is just an example, of course).

You earn your fame.
Mercurial

Shiirn wrote:

You level up by talking to people, making maps, getting mods, and getting friends. Your level increases as you make more friends and make more maps, earning experience.

You don't see a level 10 complaining about a level 50 kicking his ass, it's obvious that the level 50 is much more experienced, farmed, and generally played the game much longer. He's earned the ability to kick level 10 ass (this is just an example, of course).

You earn your fame.
Best phrase ever.-

You man, you got my respect.
Bakario

Shiirn wrote:

You earn your fame.
But...I don't see how...level 10's can increase his level.....the only way to increase your level is being friend of mat or bat.....but most of them are hmm "exclusive" for say something...when they pm of any of you guys they got ignored...so them hopes got breaked because is the only way to get his map ranked...but not all the mats and bats...for example : kenezz,kurai,gonzvlo,icebeam,wcx,bliss,etc...these always respond me...but usually have a lot of request...and see some examples of mappers that doesn't have ranked maps and them maps are quite awesome

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/419795 <- i know him/her for almost a year,i really love him/her maps,but none ranked ):

viewtopic.php?t=73388 <- this map is pure awesomeness.nothing else to add.

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/159590 <- gud

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/12barry21 <-two maps ranked...but why only 2? his maps are awesome.

and seriously,when you speed rank a map of kawayi rika or whatever i used to facepalm.being serious her/him maps sucks...usually no rhythym :/ and silenced hithounds to do not notice it,also andrea,wtf andrea your maps now are shit :/...so please be more friendly with the users of this game ;).

also,escuse my bad english :P
Sakura
This is kind of getting off-topic, if you dont like this feature, then ok we know you dont, but there's no reason to argue about how fast a map gets ranked, how much effort you need for your maps to get ranked, etc in here, please make a thread somewhere else if you really wanna discuss such things
LKs

Shiirn wrote:

You earn your fame.

hehe, few of those level 50 guys can beat me by their mapping skill/concept, but they are keen on improving social intercourse, so they level up. Am I playing a Facebook game or Twitter game but not a MUG? or you think talk to others will help the community rather than study on mapping skills

[on topic] still don't support this, from a subjective and general respective
emonite
Not a bad request but it is not really needed.
NatsumeRin
....bump? this thread dead for 3 months.
Honestly i'm interested about what will happen after this feature added.
BeatofIke
This looks interesting. Support?
emergist
I think it's a good idea but not seriously needed.
GeeNX
+1
Gabi

mm201 wrote:

Might as well stuff a bubble on this since I have something along these lines (albeit less obtrusive) in the back of my mind. Don't expect anything anytime soon.
Why isn't this feature request bubbled anymore?
Skyara
Yeah, good stuff here but if you want to have [nameofmapper]'s map, you go in osudirect and tape [nameofmapper]

And don't say "What if we are not osu supporters ?" for me everyone who wants new features should be.
Mismagius
What happened to the bubble this used to have? Any explanations?
peppy
So here's a question: Should subscriptions be separate from friends? For simplicity, I would lean towards having them combined, which would make this feature request a feed of all your friend's maps.

But some people use friends in very different ways, so I'd like to get more opinions.
FRANDOK3
well how about we can have the option to turn on and off or subscribe to certain friends or so or all friends , makes it way more flexible and customizable
ztrot
well personally if the feed worked the same as friends it could get really cluttered very quickly if you are a person that friends others just to know when they are online.
I don't see the harm in trying it out combined at 1st tho see if the flow is over whelming.

Tho personally I would like to only have a select few on my feed. But either or works.
Soaprman
I wouldn't want to have to fill my friends list with a bunch of people I don't know just to subscribe to their maps. I'd rather the subscription list be kept separate. It wouldn't be too much work to add the friends who do map to the subscriptions manually.

Having a box that lets you add multiple subscriptions at once (like on the friends page) would be useful for the initial setup when people are choosing which friends to subscribe to.
NatsumeRin
I'd prefer to keep them separated. I have a huge amount of friends, but that doesn't mean i'm interested in all of their maps. I'd keep a small list like 5 or 10 for the mapper i'm interested if this feature get applied.
Even for the mapper community, friends could be awesome mappers/other mappers/modders/players/simple friends, it's much more than what i want if i'm just aiming for interesting maps.
Mismagius

peppy wrote:

So here's a question: Should subscriptions be separate from friends? For simplicity, I would lean towards having them combined, which would make this feature request a feed of all your friend's maps.

But some people use friends in very different ways, so I'd like to get more opinions.
I wouldn't like to have them together. If we also have some kind of "Subscribers (395)" information on our profile (could be public or not), the friend stuff would mix everything up >:
deadbeat

peppy wrote:

how about using this idea as a way to show subscription updates
theowest

deadbeat wrote:

peppy wrote:

how about using this idea as a way to show subscription updates
That's a great way to display new beatmaps in-game.
Soaprman
I'd still want them on-site to be able to look back at later on, but yeah, having that would be useful, and it would be the first time #announce has ever been worth looking at.

Kind of curious about this feature request, actually, since it's been bumped. Are there plans for this or is it held back by a lack of discussion?
mm201
I still want to do it. I just haven't had time for anything lately.
Soaprman
Excellent, good to hear. I mean the want to do it part, not the no time for anything lately part, unless it's because you're doing something better than adding subscribe to a mapper, like shootin' some hoops with your bros.
ztrot
more power to mm201 lets chain him up and force him to code :U jk jk
show more