forum

End Preview Point [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
In EBA (I haven't played Oudean or however you spell it), there's a preview point, and then it fades out, and goes back to the preview point. I'd like that to be implemented into osu!.

Not really sure how to explain this, but I'm pretty sure you guys know what I'm talking about :3~.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, but I'll just post this just in case :3~.
Torran
Support~!
adam2046
I find this sort of thing highly irritating in rhythm games as I'll end up lingering on one of those screens (sometimes for quite a while) and the loop will just keep going playing just that one part of the song.
If I'm looking at scores etc, a 20-30 second loop of part of the song would get on my nerves really bloody fast. If you'd want a preview longer than that, I don't really see a point in an end point.
Jarby
Considering how the menu system works outside of the song selection screen, this wouldn't be very good. If we had title music and option menu music, then sure, I would like this. But we don't.
Sakura
I dont think it's a good idea, as the song continues to play fully currently in the menu and looping to the song's start anyways in the song select screen. Dont see what's the point of this other than for the preview when you click on the thumbnail or in osu!direct, and then it wouldnt even loop or need to.
Neo Adonis
Long answer:
On a normal rhythm game, it's supposed the song was made to be just playable (i.e. the game has not other functionallity). Here, it's good to hear all the song while you're chatting or sorta of. Imagine I'm just hearing the same sound ten millon times. Aghh... And osu! even has its own "mini player".

Short answer: No support
Derekku
I won't deny the request, but my own opinion is that I wouldn't like to see this...
Stefan
Bumping.

I am divided on this request. I am for it because it is more logical to have a real Preview instead of a random point in the Beatmap. But I am against it because it would break the player in the title menu. In other words: sounds not bad but this isn't really needed that much. I think more people should judge about this idea.
Mithos
I don't see a need to remove part of a song from a feature that is suppose to show you the song before you play it. Many people put their preview at a really intense part of the song, but if 10-30 seconds after, the song changes to 70BPM smooth jazz, I won't know. I use osu! as a jukebox and I do not see the point of having an end preview point, even if it was just for the song select screen.

osu! is the first rhythm game I've seen that has the entire menu system synced to a random song that you chose to add to the game's library. Skin previews, the title screen, the song select screen, the sound test, everything is presented in a 'jukebox' manner. Changing this to a 10-30 second clip would flip this presentation on it's head and turn "enjoy your music, even when you're not playing intensely" into an annoying headache. Think of it as a DVD menu.
Stefan

Mithost wrote:

I don't see a need to remove part of a song from a feature that is suppose to show you the song before you play it. Many people put their preview at a really intense part of the song, but if 10-30 seconds after, the song changes to 70BPM smooth jazz, I won't know. I use osu! as a jukebox and I do not see the point of having an end preview point, even if it was just for the song select screen.
My other music players are already crying because I use osu! for that. :P

But yeah, that's how I think about it.
TheVileOne
I think many people would hate this. I don't think this is worth killing the seamless musical transitions. Sorry.