forum

Badminton

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chan
...the sport. Unless there's some awesome game on PC/console I haven't heard of.

So does anyone play and what level are you?
awp
Ah, few years ago I used to play this back in highschool. It was totally recreational if I recall and there wasn't really any sort of competition - pair with who you want, go against who you want, really. Of course, exibition matches yeild less exp than competition matches and I had a primarily defensive build, but because I'm tall I also got to spike the bird a fair number of times (Rising Arc + Hammerblow ftw) and I guess I would say it left me above average. Knees're permanently scarred from sliding too much though. Epix kneepad gear came along eventually but not until after the damage was done.
Topic Starter
chan
After reading your post it seems almost as if we're not playing the same game.
I got training back in high school days and even went to New Zealand (read Echo-land) to play juniors in Australasia. Why is New Zealand so much better than Australia? Are they more asian or what?
awp
We're talking about Badminton right? Because it looks like you are, and I was =x
Topic Starter
chan
I don't know, maybe it was like the mention of exp, defensive build, spiking birds and rising arc/hammerblow that threw me off. Also I've never seen anyone slide on their knees.

Well based on your description of badminton, I guess I'm more of an all-rounder. I don't have the insane speed or power like some of my friends but I manage to keep up.
awp

chan wrote:

I don't know, maybe it was like the mention of exp, defensive build, spiking birds and rising arc/hammerblow that threw me off.
yeah I'm a huge nerd
GSR_old
I have a set I set up in the summer and usually get some rounds in with my family. It's one of the few sports I can really play due to various joint problems.
hunnykilla
Badminton was a really fun game to play, along with ping pong. Hmm so many badminton rackets and shuttlecocks broken.
Topic Starter
chan

GSR wrote:

It's one of the few sports I can really play due to various joint problems.
That's rather surprising, although I play at a pretty high level. Recently I've been having problems around my ankles due to flexing them forward too much (like my toes go towards my knees, that sort of direction) and I've rolled my right ankle twice in about 10 years of playing. Also hyper-extended my right elbow playing overhead backhands and have had lower back problems, but that's kind of because my tailbone is fused. I now have pains on the upper insole of my foot.

Nakao wrote:

Hmm so many badminton rackets and shuttlecocks broken
I had like an entire bag of broken rackets, probably over 20. I've also broken 3 of my friend's racket and was supposedly responsible for breaking another friend's racket. Haven't had a break for the last couple of years though so fingers crossed.
GSR_old

chan wrote:

GSR wrote:

It's one of the few sports I can really play due to various joint problems.
That's rather surprising, although I play at a pretty high level. Recently I've been having problems around my ankles due to flexing them forward too much (like my toes go towards my knees, that sort of direction) and I've rolled my right ankle twice in about 10 years of playing. Also hyper-extended my right elbow playing overhead backhands and have had lower back problems, but that's kind of because my tailbone is fused. I now have pains on the upper insole of my foot.
Well, we hardly play very fiercely, so to speak, and it's sure a hell of a lot easier on the bones than, say, football.
Topic Starter
chan
Perhaps, since you can actually make contact in football.

I saw this noob playing badminton on Wednesday night, he did this backhand net shot with this really bizzarre stance, something out of Jet Li's movie Hero or Silver surfer. I'm surprised he's not injured.
YoshiKart
I play badminton occasionally with my cousin and his family whenever I return to Hong Kong, but usually, I'm too lazy to do that. I'm either playing video games or playing ping pong (AKA table tennis, if you prefer) in my free time. :D
Topic Starter
chan
I auto assume that in Asian countries, everyone who plays badminton is super pro/awesome, but I saw some footage of noobs playing badminton in China :P

I run my own "club" on Tuesday nights but numbers have steadily declined, contemplating giving up running it.

Shame really, since it's really cheap court hire and standard of players is relatively high, and we get to play as much as we want.
Remco32
Yeah, I play it.
We are Leeuwarder BC J1 ;)
Detective Tuesday
I have a net in my yard, and I play it with my friends all the time in the summer... I like to think I'm good (but I'm not =P). It's really freakin' fun though, one of my favorite summer/spring activities (next to tennis).
phill_old
We're going to start playing squash again soon Chan, now my hand is a bit more functional. If you feel like kicking our asses and talking crap let me know and i'll sms you when we organise it.
Topic Starter
chan
Oh yeah bring it! You've almost had a month to recover and I gotta do some crazy intense 2 week training for a badminton tournament. Squash will help.

Also I played squash with another state badminton player, it was epic hardcore legendary.