Sub Vs. Dub

Sub
89.08%
Dub
10.92%
Total votes: 229
Topic Starter
EshkushMeh xD
Here comes one of the most frequently asked questions among otakus (or weeaboos. I still don't know which is the right term ._.).

Anyhow, I, personally, prefer Sub over Dub because, in my opinion, the voices of the original voice actors/actresses fit the characters, most of the time. Also, they tend to have more emotion than the people who voice the dub.

I know that most people prefer Sub over Dub but there are people who prefer Dub over Sub.

Well, that was just my opinion...

So, how about all of you peeps?
Nub1
sub
K3la
Sub over dub, because usually it makes the characters seem more alive with the original voice acting
Green Platinum
Both can be horrible in their own way.
Both can be good in their own way.
Stefan
I've made the experience that english dubs are the worst crap to me. Whether if official or fan-made, the german dub to some older series like Digimon are inmost cases fine. At the end: I perfer Subs because less than one percent of all dubs are at least okay.
Mogsy

Green Platinum wrote:

Both can be horrible in their own way.
Both can be good in their own way.
This, pretty much.

It all depends on the show, too. Some stuff makes for better background-watch material (something I'll leave on if I'm cleaning, things like that) when dubbed, and some stuff legitimately works a lot better for me dubbed if its source material calls for it (things like Michiko and Hatchin, Cowboy Bebop, etc.). There's also stuff that's a sub-only necessity, otherwise you'd lose out on a lot of the initial appeal of the material (Monogatari, The Tatami Galaxy, most pun-based material).

I do really like a lot of dub actors, though, and they can turn out good work when given good direction/a good script, so I guess I'm in the middle on this.
piruchan
Sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub

Unless for Cardcaptor Sakura, the dub gave me orgasm.
blissfulyoshi
Subs usually, but that is mostly because to get the same quality of voice actors to do it in English, a lot more money is needed from the American dubbing companies that don't have that type of money or profit.

However, if you are talking about dubs in general, like Chinese or Korean dubs, then you can really get some amazing quality stuff because in general, voice acting in Asia is far less expensive than the American counterpart.
Mofu kun
my dad explained to me that because animes are modeled with a japanese culture and audience in mind, seeing anime in english just seems slightly off, and therefore, less enjoyable.
Green Platinum
Some arguments for dub side

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Subs usually, but that is mostly because to get the same quality of voice actors to do it in English, a lot more money is needed from the American dubbing companies that don't have that type of money or profit.
With English being my first language I am obviously more sensitive to stuff like tone in it. I bet by watching subbed anime I probably miss alot of the irksome details like accents and unusual means of speaking that would annoy me in English much more. Certainly this is true with suffixes on the ends of sentences.

In my experience the people complaining about dubs are the people not experiencing and buying bluray/dvds so companies really have no incentive to spend more on making the dub as good as possible since it simply doesn't bring the return.

People are often quick to announce horrible English dubs and then the respondents give the great English dubs but can someone direct me to an impressive Japanese audio track because while terrible ones are obvious. When I think back for impressive Japanese ones nothing stands out to me.

Since the only fair comparision is the same anime comparing sub and dub there is a selection bias since the dub will only really happen if the sub is successful/popular and kinda sets up the majority of dubs for failure by comparison.

I still think this is a show by show issue and neither is superior.
domSaur
Subs for the reason most people said..

altho i kinda like the DB/Z(not sure), One Piece and Fairy Tail dubs in my local language..
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I like what I hear first.

Since dubs are hard to find here. My preference leans towards subs.

However, in animes set in eg. America like Baccano, english dubs are usually better as it captures the character better.
Kradfiz
Why is there no option for raw?
DeletedUser_3473174
-
Rio-
I Prefer Sub more than dub.
Dub is nice too, but the original is better...
Xanaehla
I prefer sub as well cause.. it has an original voice
DeletedUser_3905941

Kradfiz wrote:

Why is there no option for raw?
because it's asking people how you'd like to watch your anime translated?
Green Platinum

Xanaehla wrote:

I prefer sub as well cause.. it has an original voice
and original voice is better because?
Finish your reasoning. Curious how many original is better people change the audio during an rpg or w/e.
blissfulyoshi
I don't like the original version argument much. Most animes are adapted from another source, so each director can only take their best guess as to how the original plot line was supposed to be acted out. On top of that, as Green Platinum suggest, the viewer might not have interpreted the scene the same way the original author did and rather have it played out another way.
AutoMedic
Guys, remember that Japanese is really hard to learn, translate or master. Some anime exhibits references that cant be sometimes dubbed properly or the emotions was way too broken.

I'd say that both of them are good in their own terms. Not really an answer but this argument has been established ages ago so I wouldn't even doubt that there are sub weeaboo elitists here trying to defend it for being "original to the taste"
idkfa lolz
japanese pleases my ears more than english or german does, so i go with subs

apart from that it feels really weird watching dubs for some reason
it's like hearing an english cover of this foreign language song that you like, it's cool someone made the effort but no thanks
DakeDekaane
Dub can be very pleasant if the dubbing actors put themselves on their characters. When that happens, I tend to avoid a subbed version as I'm happy to have something I can fully understand (I have a hard time processing foreign language voices).

Sadly, in most of actual Spanish dubs aren't that great compared to the ones years ago, so I'm watching more subbed anime.
Athrun
Ew Dub.
The only anime I watched in Dub was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was alright

Sub > Dub
Green Platinum

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Ew Dub.
The only anime I watched in Dub was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was alright

Sub > Dub
This is part of the problem:
-Only seen 1 Dub
-Found it okay
-Therefore Ew?

What? This is the same logic that I dislike when people say they have seen pokemon and conclude anime is for kids or whatever.
Gumpy
I watch some dub, some sub.

no both option ._.
AutoMedic

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Ew Dub.

Sub > Dub
Not to be rustling your jimmies but you're quite the sub elitist

Have you ever seen the Cardfight Vanguard Animax dub? No? Then you suck

How about Sket Dance dub? No? You suck
Dranembo
Both are okay I guess. Nothing really wrong with either of them. It's just preference.
Justykanna
This was asked a while ago so feel free to browse what people said in these threads.

t/125886
t/219755

I prefer English dub. I tend to watch a lot of action / mecha anime. A large amount of those also tend to be very flashy and pretty and I honestly find it hard to fully enjoy how they look if I'm needing to read the subs the entire time. This poses as a drawback to those who are terribly slow at reading, like I am.

I actually have a ton of English voice actors that I love. Might be because I don't know any Japanese (even though I am Japanese-Canadian), but I tend not to oggle over them nearly as much. I'm definitely in the minority there.
- K a t h -
I like sub better. I'm not a fan of dub :/
Cocolites
damn i hate dub their voices sound weird :|
Green Platinum

Cocolites wrote:

Have you listened to Japanese. It's is weird too.
Cocolites

Green Platinum wrote:

Cocolites wrote:

yeah i always listen to it and it isn't really bad what i'm trying to imply is that dub in anime sounds bad for me, not in a real situation like when japanese people are talking
DoodleBlob
Gotta have my anime subbed. I would say a maximum of 1% of all english dubbed anime has good voice actors, depends on the anime though. Plus as I am learning the japanese language, watching subbed anime kinda helps.
AutoMedic

Green Platinum wrote:

Cocolites wrote:

Hi five, brother
-Nya-
The japanese language isn't weird.
It's fricken awesome~!
Green Platinum
There are probably people in Japan who hate how anime voices sound. I have a hard time believing we'd get a response from them here though.
show more