forum

Google I/O 2010

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer
Will be updating this post every now and then to add new info.

Keynote, day 1:
  1. VP8 is now royalty free and open source, and every major browser's behind it. H.264 is officially finished.
  2. Adobe are desperately trying to keep Flash videos alive, push VP8 into Flash.
  3. Google announce Chrome Web Store. You are now expected to pay money for web apps.
  4. Print media are moving their focus to the Internet, sell virtual magazines on the Chrome Web Store.
  5. Delopers delopers delopers
  6. Google Wave is now public, part of Google Apps.
  7. Various tools for quickly writing web apps demonstrated.
  8. Google engineers try out a web app they wrote on mobile devices. Android phone won't connect, iPad just works.
Keynote, day 2:
  1. Android 2.2 announced. Features include auto-updating apps, speed improvements and voice-guided search.
  2. Ads designed specifically to bug Android users announced, launched.
  3. Google TV announced. It's like Apple TV, except better. Will be available both in a separate set-top box and as a built-in feature in some TVs.
  4. It's over, Apple is finished.
Ph0X
Yep, keynote2 in couple hours. Can't wait for FroYo feature announcement. It will apparently support JIT, and be ~400% faster.

Anyways, about VP8, I was quited hyped up yesterday but strager and my other friend sent me this:
http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377

I decided not to take any side yet, as I doubt Google would take such a big decision without fully examining everything, but anyways, only time will tell.

I honestly lol'd at Adobe.
Web store reminds me too much of Apple store :<
That virtual sport magazine was amazing, also considering that it was html5 only. Now, we only have to wait until all the magazine realize this is the future!

That wifi failure was also funny, mainly because the exact same thing happened last year, but they obviously didn't learn from their mistake.

I was quite surprised too that no one spammed that twitter feed.
IppE
From the review phox posted the VP8 seems more like a XviD+ than a real competition to H.264/AVC for now.

And taking into consideration that H.264 is a BluRay standard codec (along with VC-1) I wouldn't say that its finished, not at all.
anonymous_old

IppE602 wrote:

And taking into consideration that H.264 is a BluRay standard codec (along with VC-1) I wouldn't say that its finished, not at all.
Jup; existing implementations, especially in hardware, is a huge plus for the 264 boat.
peppy
Ph0X

peppy wrote:

Interesting perspectives on the webM format.

http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2010/0 ... m-analysis

Ph0X wrote:

Anyways, about VP8, I was quited hyped up yesterday but strager and my other friend sent me this:
But yea, like I said, I'm still confident that Google studied it's investment before acquiring it, and I've never really seen them fail in one of their projects in the past. Pretty much everything they've done has been a success, and although this article makes it look like this one is going to be a major failure (lawsuit party), I'm pretty sure their lawyers can handle quite a lot.
Topic Starter
Loginer

IppE602 wrote:

From the review phox posted the VP8 seems more like a XviD+ than a real competition to H.264/AVC for now.

I'm sure H.264 will continue to flourish when it comes to offline media, but when two of the world's most popular browsers don't support it at all, I don't see it winning against VP8 on the online market. Plus, since Google's behind it, they'll most likely be pushing VP8 support on Android phones. Remember why Theora lost against H.264?
anonymous_old

Loginer wrote:

Remember why Theora lost against H.264?
Theora lost against H.264?

=]
Topic Starter
Loginer

strager wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Remember why Theora lost against H.264?
Theora lost against H.264?

=]
H.264 and its industry homies were beating Theora senseless last time I checked.
IppE

Loginer wrote:

H.264 and its industry homies were beating Theora senseless last time I checked.
Theora is VP3 based and close to the H264 compression Youtube uses so no wonder.