forum

The Anime Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
wiicademan

awp wrote:

wiicademan wrote:

I don't really like anime... (am I the only one?)
Ah, you probably just need to see the better/more imaginitive ones.
I suppose. Just about all of the anime I've ever seen just bores me.

But I absolutely HATE most super-deformed chibi-type stuff. The art style of it annoys me.
shinn_old
I don't often watch anime (coz homework comes in P.I.L.E.S)... but here's some I like

(In order of preference)

1) Gundam Seed Destiny
2) Nana
3) Naruto

-->Nothing More... which is quite sad<--
hunnykilla
I watch anime here and there and just started the Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of the Uruk. Its a pretty good and just came out(about 2 weeks ago?). Soul Eater looks good too but i have yet to start the series.
Neo@lex
Hmm... Most of my day is dedicated to anime in some way. I blag all my homework(or put up with a few detentions), and I don't study, so it's pretty much 3pm-11pm on weekdays, with osu and wii in between, needless to say, I only get about 3 hours sleep at weekends.
My top 5, I suppose, would be:
1.Lucky Star, since it's so incredibly family guy-esque, but with moe schoolgirls. I also love how each character has completely different eyes.
2.Shakugan no Shana(+2nd), I love all the epic "U R DOING IT RONG!!111" moments. I also find myself wanting to shout "Fuzetsu!" at school and when I'd rather not be where I am.
3.Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni(+kai), pretty emotional, pretty graphic, but there are some deeply ironic situations.
4.Umm...Naruto I guess, I still haven't got to shippuden yet, and I don't watch it often, but it's...good, Kiba is epic.
5.Uhh...AIR, It's the first anime I watched from start to finish, and I loved it, If I knew Japanese, I would Import the game right away.

other than those, I have watched:
Haruhi(meh, needs kyonko), Kanon, Clannad, Evangelion, Powerpuff Girls Z(fucking weird...), Paniponi Dash, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Shaman King, Jinki Extend, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, .hack//SIGN, Hoshi no Kaabi(Kirby: Right back at ya, but the dub sucked), Sonic X(if that's REALLY an anime), Rockman(Ryuusei and EXE), Guyver, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Chobits, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Azumanga Daioh, OBAN, Full Metal Alchemist(which I DIDN'T like...AT ALL), Avatar, Planites, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, Beyblade(another CRAPPY dub), Hidamari Sketch, Pokey Mans, Bleach(not as good as I thought it would be), Ranma 1/2, aaaaaand.....Wolf's Rain(I SO wish I hadn't watched it...)
It's annoying being able to list all the anime I've watched....

I'm not against dubbing, but some of them are SO bad that Hell turns to ice, so I normally watch anime raw or with subs.
I've recently watched School Days, Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, and a bit of zetsubou sensei. Rozen Maiden soon.
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Top 5? I'll try...
1. FullMetal Alchemist
2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
3. Lucky Star (Minoru is hilarious.)
4. Negima (I'm also in love with the Manga. Epic win.)
5. Bleach (I don't watch it much though.)
Strangely enough, I HATE NARUTO. I watched some of it, and it bored the crap outta me.
chan
Ugh
I like Naruto, but really, it's dragging out soooooooo slowly. Like right now they're about to do a side story just as it was getting somewhat more interesting.

Also, I hate it how they try and cater for really young (aka stupid) viewers. In one of the recent episodes (~ep 50), Naruto found a bingo book, and asked why someone would have one. He then asked what the X's are for. I mean really, kids don't need this crap spelt out.

Another frustration I have with Naruto is the extreme slowdown of story development. Example: Yamoto explains some info to Kakashi and *FLASHBACK* to last episode. Every god damn episode has like at least 2 flashbacks, plus there's the intro part for each ep which is the same as the end of the last ep.

Also there are like so many still shots where nothing/hardly anything happens. Example: Sai faces Sasuke, about to fight each other, Sakura is about to interrupt and pauses, followed by 1 minute of stills, Sakura saying either "Sai..." or "Sasuke..." and then another minute of stills. Possibly followed by a flashback.

I really like Naruto, but god damn the anime tests my patience. Someone should make Naruto: the abridged version. I'm sure that'd go down so much better with Naruto fans. Might only be a 39 episode thing though :)
Saturos
~20 minutes of every Naruto episode consists of still, face shots. I thought everyone knew this already.
chan
Yeah, well
I only watch Naruto a few times a year at my friend's place. We spend most of the episodes complaining and making fun of everything.
awp
There's a Naruto: The Abridged Series, but I've never watched it, and heard it absolutely pales in comparison to littlekuriboh's stuff to the point where I'm a bastard for even comparing them.
Neo@lex

awp wrote:

There's a Naruto: The Abridged Series, but I've never watched it, and heard it absolutely pales in comparison to littlekuriboh's stuff to the point where I'm a bastard for even comparing them.
I've seen the first ep, it seemed pretty improvised, and people kept lolling in the background....
anonymous_old
I don't really watch anime that much anymore, either. For some reason I'm too lazy to go on any site and watch them.
Here's my Top 5 though:
Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA
Yu-Gi-Oh (Season Zero)
One Piece

My all-time favorite is JoJo, even though HnK goes real close to it, because it almost copies the manga in most scenes in my idea. I love the JoJo manga even more, but that's a different topic. I have high respect to the OVA and manga, just because it made me inspired to always believe in the hope of humanity's will. I just wish more people out there can just read it more, so they can understand the message too. That's the message I see in the manga, so if you see a different message, it's fine by me.
Mogsy

Mogsworth wrote:

I have a favourite anime list, but I haven't watched anime in awhile.

1) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni/Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
3) Baccano!
4) Sayonara Zetsubo-sensei
5) Sola
Oh wow, have times changed for me.

1) Nodame Cantabile
2) Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei
3) Loveless
4) Shion No Ou
5) Azumanga Daioh

Also, HUGE ASS BUMP
awp
Azumanga Diaoh looked interesting.

Is it interesting?
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Azumanga Diaoh looked interesting.

Is it interesting?
Azumanga Daioh is worth it, even dubbed (hell, I enjoyed the dub).
lukewarmholiday
My list is...

Every anime I've watched other than lucky star, lucky star is the only anime I could say I couldn't bring myself around to watch more than the first episode >>
Dasende
My Top 5 (In no particular order :lol: ):

1. Hunter X Hunter (Yay for Shonen-y Goodness...)
2. Prince of Tennis (Tennis + Anime = win?)
3. Cooking Master Boy (Stop the evil chefs from taking over the WORLD!)
4. Yakitate!! Japan! (I shall make a national bread for Japan!)
5. Kaiji and Akagi (I shall gamble my life!!)

There's many more that I like but... I said 5 so I'll keep it at that.
NinjaishGuy
Lucky Star really picks up after Episode 4 when they change directors to the Fumoffu guy

awp
What is the actual premise/plot behind Lucky Star?

Azumanga Daioh seems kind of interesting even if episode 1 didn't attempt to really explore a story arc. At least they introduced a premise and it's very quirky.
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Azumanga Daioh seems kind of interesting even if episode 1 didn't attempt to really explore a story arc. At least they introduced a premise and it's very quirky.
Azumanga Daioh has no specific story. It's just a bunch of high school girls throughout high school.
Snipe_old
Top 5

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1rst and 2nd GIG's

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya

Azumanga Daioh

Bleach

Lucky Star
NinjaishGuy
Lucky Star is kiiiiinda like Azumanga Daioh in that it's a slice of life anime with a cast of unique and quirky girls, but it differs in art style, pacing, and amount of anime references. The "leader" of the group of four main girls is an otaku; you get a lot of anime setups and jokes from her, but I think it's unfair to call Lucky Star just a collection of references.

I love both animes to death, but I'd hafta say I prefer Lucky Star over Azumanga Daioh, because Konata and Kagami are utterly endearing, each of the gigantic cast of characters are distinct enough for me to easily remember them, and Minoru Shiraishi is made of win and awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KkkF5NC2rIE
Mogsy
I honestly cannot stand Lucky Star outside of Konata. Everyone else just...doesn't seem as awesome. At least with Azumanga Daioh they have a cast of characters where it's hard to choose one you watch for the most.
Numbers_old
Azumanga Daioh is a neat show. Very funny. One could argue that Minami-Ke is even better though. But, the reason for posting is actually not to express an opinion, it is to recieve an opinion, about...... Loveless. Is it neat? Y'know the d00d with ears seems so angsty, even worse than the little mouse in fruits basket (best series ever, anime and non anime) Other than that, you would do well in checking Toshokan Sensou "Library War" out. Coming of life in a militaristic alternate reality where one shoots in order to protect books It also has tons of romance. Extremely girly and it has ¨chamomiles, alot of them. They're kinda neat you know.
Mogsy
Honestly, Loveless is a wonderful manga, but the anime is just trash. You can't capture Loveless' epic awesome in 12 episodes.
Of course, I think Loveless is awesome just because I'm into the mix of shonen-ai and MAGIC BATTLES, but that's just me.
awp
I can imagine Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star being very similar based on what little experience I've had with either, but Azumanga Daioh is just silly, whereas Lucky Star will probably leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially because I'll likely catch less than half the references since I don't watch a lot of anime.

And eh, romance plots in animes I'd rather do without. Typically they're predictable, drawn out, and only serve to distract from the actual show and are usually more of a hindrance than any sort of gain.
Numbers_old
I wouldn't call them similar at all. The lack of story is the only thing they have in common in my opinion. Lucky Star is funny sometimes, but there's alot of hit and misses and I suspect I was severely lacking when it came to picking up anime/manga fan references. Azumanga Daioh is more like a hot and lazy summers day with someone going a bit nuts from being tired and everyone laughs, the mood setting in it is truly great. Lucky Star is, a collection of hyper-active girls who should be sent to a mental institution asap. Now crazy persons are not always funny, sometimes just a bit tiresome and sometimes just scary.... Yotsuba manga is recommended tho, even if it's not anime. (Same author as Azumanga Daioh, but with some more tempo in it, not to mention way more funny) And Minami-Ke still stands.

Ok, Will skip the Loveless anime (or rather delete it from the external). I'm more a straight up Shōjo on the rocks fan.
Started watching Telepathy Girl Ran yesterday. Seems like it could be nice. Telepathic powers and hints of Shōjo.
Will try out the Seiyou Kottou Yougashiten: Antique too. Seriously, bakers are effing HAWT!

Mogsy

awp wrote:

I can imagine Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star being very similar based on what little experience I've had with either, but Azumanga Daioh is just silly, whereas Lucky Star will probably leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially because I'll likely catch less than half the references since I don't watch a lot of anime.

And eh, romance plots in animes I'd rather do without. Typically they're predictable, drawn out, and only serve to distract from the actual show and are usually more of a hindrance than any sort of gain.
Lucky Star will leave a terrible taste in your mouth. It's going to take a lot of Listerine to get it out.

And what if the entire plot is based on romance? xU Eh, but I agree with you, a lot of romance in anime is just unneeded.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Mogsworth wrote:

And what if the entire plot is based on romance? xU Eh, but I agree with you, a lot of romance in anime is just unneeded.
Eh, for the romance thing, I'd say Haruhi was the rare exception. I quite enjoyed that.
It's Haruhi, how do you NOT enjoy it? xU
anonymous_old
Eh, I'm not that much of a Haruhi fan myself...It's just her being the ultimate being makes her more Mary Sueish.
It also iritates me that the episodes are mixed up. I'm not bashing her really, it's just that her character in my opinon isn't that good in my view. I don't want to be mean...
Numbers_old

HyperHongMeiling wrote:

Eh, I'm not that much of a Haruhi fan myself...It's just her being the ultimate being makes her more Mary Sueish.
It also iritates me that the episodes are mixed up. I'm not bashing her really, it's just that her character in my opinon isn't that good in my view. I don't want to be mean...
And yet your cruelty seems without limits in this post. Which is totally fine, tip top, neat I would even go as far as calling it great. Not a Haruhi fan myself either so... I mean it's was ok, even good. But I just don't understand the rage about it. I'd rather see people raging about True Tears or Spice and Wolf... Much better.
anonymous_old
I don't understand the rage about it, either, but I'm not trying to be mean on the character or anything...
I don't mean to offend you at all. I find the series just to be in the middle of things, I don't mean to cause any problems... :cry:
Numbers_old
You didn't cause any problems and you weren't mean at all. Think of it as a perfect example were my humour failed miserably and instead of bringing a smile it brought insecurity. My apologies for this one. Will try to refrain from using questionable humour in future threads, I feel kinda bad now. (And if you were using the same sort of humour here, I surrender completely and admit my defeat) :)
awp
I don't know about the rage/hype, and can't compare it to other animes of its style (having not seen them) but there's something about Haruhi that pulls you in (forcibly or otherwise).

The character Haruhi herself was entertaining enough to keep the show going - yeah, she'd be a BITCH irl but a fun bitch at that~
anonymous_old

numbers wrote:

You didn't cause any problems and you weren't mean at all. Think of it as a perfect example were my humour failed miserably and instead of bringing a smile it brought insecurity. My apologies for this one. Will try to refrain from using questionable humour in future threads, I feel kinda bad now. (And if you were using the same sort of humour here, I surrender completely and admit my defeat) :)
It's okay. Sorry that I bought that humour the wrong way, heh.
Snipe_old
For some reason I just couldnt stop watching Haruhi, after I watched one I couldnt stop :cry:
Shirotora_old
I laughed really hard at Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru. GNU did a good job at fansubbing it, which not completely incidentally was run by a friend of mine (another friend did the encoding).

Don't worry, it doesn't have the sexual content of the original PC game that was the inspiration for this series. =)
NinjaishGuy
best anime is still boku no pico, you should REALLY watch it all
awp
What is that about?
Neo@lex
Bunch of girls and a trap, in an all-girls school.
THAT'S ABOUT IT.
BUT FUCK YEAH, IT RULES.
show more