forum

How to get better at osu! mania ?(without buying mechanical)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ChrisS3097
How to get better at 4k ?
Jinjin
Everything is practice. You get better at osu!mania by keep playing osu!mania. There is no need to buy a mechanical keyboard; I play with my laptop keyboard just fine haha. Also, you should try to play more maps that are specifically designed for osu!mania, and not the ones originally made for the standard mode. The patterns in osu!mania specific maps feel much more different from so called 'autoconverted' standard difficulties. Also, you should try to push your limits by trying harder songs that might seem out of your reach. Play more difficult songs, and the easier songs will seem much easier / readable. Overall, lots of practice is required for finger independence, which is crucial in scrolling rhythm games like mania.

Good luck
lenpai
Classic question.

Take note of the following:
Assuming that you got you finger placement right and stuff,
1. Get used to the judgment system. It's challenging for arguably many, but it will come naturally as you practice, and that follows to
2. Practice. Practice practice practice. Just make sure that you play different maps.
Here's something to take note of:
I. Don't spam practice a map. It barely improves your skill level.
II. Play maps a bit lower than your max skill level for warmups then play maps that you frel are hard but you can barely pass/almost pass at times.
III. As always, know the patterns that throw you off. Familiarization + practice will help.
3. Keep playing. Never give up even if you feel that nothing is happening.

I guess that's it

Boredom post + no potato for you.
Topic Starter
ChrisS3097
Thanks
Valedict
1. A mechanical keyboard is not needed to improve at mania, as I've been using a cheap old membrane for close to a year now (though it may be more beneficial to you way later on)

2. Mania specific 4k maps and mania specific in general are the best for introducing yourself to new patterns

3. Practice practice practice, everyone will tell you that because that's the #1 way to get better at this

That being said, 4k is a lot easier to pick up than the other keys but I highly recommend playing the other key modes like 7k because that'll ihelp you get better at all the modes below it just by playing it frequently and practicing.
Shoegazer

l3gendary wrote:

How to get better at 4k ?
http://ask.fm/PrismaticEffect/answer/124873805315

A mechanical keyboard has little to do with performance for the most part, while the top players do use a mechanical keyboard I really do not think it's really all that helpful to the player - as a player who used both flat keyboards and mechanical keyboards, both keyboards require a completely different technique to get used to. Just use what you're comfortable with, unless your keyboard drops misses (laptop keyboards do this) or require you to slam your keyboard all the way down to actually register - in that case maybe a better flat keyboard would be better for you.
Ukaei
Faster Scroll Speed? Beatmaps became easier as I slowly went from SS 16 to 21 SS.
Halogen-
One of the fastest ways to improve at osu!mania and many rhythm games in general is to learn what your weaknesses are, isolate them, and get better at them. If you're weak at streaming, find maps that have lots of stream in them. Better yet, learn to use the osu!mania editor minimally, and create a map that has nothing but 1/4 streams, or 1/8 streams, or... whatever tempo/speed you want to practice.

If your problem is a specific part of a map, osu!'s editor makes for a great and safe way to practice certain sections of maps. If for any reason you accidentally alter the map, osu! will force you to update back to the original version, so there's no fear for cheating. Those two things alone can help substantially.

A mechanical keyboard is certainly not required. I was playing without a mechanical keyboard for quite some time, and recently got a mechanical keyboard for Christmas. With that being said, I love my mech and will have a hard time going back, but you should by no means feel like your skill will be impeded without one. It's better for those who have played on membrane/scissor-switch to move to a mechanical because they'll know how much less force it truly feels to trigger keys in a high-density sequence.
Silver Sky
Yup, practice and practice. I know it's a boring answer but that's the key to improvement, make sure you practice songs which you still get B or A on it.
Also about mech keyboard .-. I used laptop keyboard to play vsrg for almost 1 year then I bought a mechanical one, I don't know why but I can't use it T_T
I do realize that using mech keyboard means more stamina but it feels weird for me and I got worse score than when I play with my laptop keyboard. Now I only use it for typing lol :)
edisk
Personally I am more comfortable with membrane keys since they "pop" back up. Main reason I got a mech keyboard was because the keys in membrane keyboard tend to get stuck pretty often so that = more retries and time wasted. If you just "map" your fingers to each column it feels pretty much the same no matter which keyboard you are using imo.