forum

Osu in Wine [Resolved(ish)]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Guy-kun
So I've swapped over to using Mac OS for some specific reasons, and I've looked around and the available options for running osu on my setup are virtually -none-
I don't have hardware virtualization for good-end virtualization programs, Virtualbox runs osu at a framerate of 20fps making it unplayable, I can't dual boot and I can't use bootcamp.
Also, I can't get .net 2.0 install properly in crossover/ crossover games to run osu (i've tried lots)

So i've resorted to wine, I can install .net 2.0 fine and I can make the machine windows XP, but the Osu installer will get as far as
'Publishing Product Information' before a typical 'osu needs to close' error etcetc

My question is, does anyone know what the wine machine might need installed on it in order to get osu to work, or what a failed intall at this point means?
Any help would be accepted v.v
Topic Starter
Guy-kun
Just found the following line in the install log too:
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L".NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.42 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (79F97075) (80131506)"
awp

Guy-kun wrote:

I can't dual boot and I can't use bootcamp.
did you get a PPC mac or something because if so lol that thing won't game
Topic Starter
Guy-kun
nonono, its my usual old Inspiron 6400
I had to format my HDD to GPT in order to install mac os and now windows won't install on it :L
anonymous_old

Guy-kun wrote:

I had to format my HDD to GPT in order to install mac os and now windows won't install on it :L
For..mat... it ... back ?
Topic Starter
Guy-kun
Do you know how formatting works? It kinda involves removing all the data from a drive. Mac OS X needs data to run.
Intermezzo
In console:
mkdir osu
cd osu
wget http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe
WINEDEBUG=warn+all
wine osume.exe
wine osu!.exe
mm201

Guy-kun wrote:

I can't dual boot and I can't use bootcamp.
Why not?

Guy-kun wrote:

nonono, its my usual old Inspiron 6400
Multiple partitions. Or is Mac OS that fucked up that it can't handle a normal bootloader?
Topic Starter
Guy-kun
@intermezzo
thanks for the suggestion/help, but I was using GUI Wine, couldn't configure my compiler and the wine binaries
kept failing >.< so I gave up on that front

in the end on a machine I got osume to work fine and install osu, but osu would keep crahing at startup saying 'invalid operating parameters' :T

in the end I tried to convert my drive from GPT to hybrid, ducked up the whole partition map and cleared it, back on win 7 now~

@metalmario
Mac OS X (legit copy) needs the GUID Partition Table to install, and nothing except windows server supports installing to it v.v and I couldn't use Boot Camp since I'm not on mac hardware and it doesn't really work on anything else~

problem not resolved, bt closed really, playig osu on windows again~
anonymous_old

Guy-kun wrote:

@intermezzo
thanks for the suggestion/help, but I was using GUI Wine, couldn't configure my compiler and the wine binaries
What. You should still be able to execute wine from a shell...
HarryHy
I don't personally use Mac OS, but:
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Try to get that installed. Once you are *sure* WINE is installed correctly, run Intermezzo's commands. It will give a nice little debug for everyone to work with/try to see what's wrong.

Edit: lol, nevermind, just read you're back to Windows 7...
Topic Starter
Guy-kun

strager wrote:

Guy-kun wrote:

@intermezzo
What. You should still be able to execute wine from a shell...
I couldn't command "wine" was not found...

@HarryHy
I tried that exact tutorial and others, but compiling wine kept failing at
sudo port install wine-devel
Saying the C compiler blahblah, NOT the warning thaat was mentioned on the site...

Nevermind, thanks for everyones' help ^^
May re-intall Mac OS in the future, but for now, windows c:
awp

Guy-kun wrote:

I couldn't command "wine" was not found...
So get it. Either ensure your PATH variable correctly includes the directory to the wine binary or (if you don't have wine) get wine