forum

osu! Public Release b1596

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I don't feel like writing a long post here, so let's make this short. This new build fixes a few pending bugs (that were quite possibly introduced in the last build), and has a few minor improvements that most of you won't notice. The biggest addition is the new Difficulty Star system, which will eventually replace the current start difficulty algorithm. While it is still in testing stages, you can play with it via AiMod in the editor and post your feedback in this thread.

For more info on the difficulty system, you can read the wiki page (although the values on there are very outdated and have been tweaked a lot since that post).

If you have any adjustments you think should be made, please make a very clear case posting map(s) which you believe are falling in the wrong difficulty, along with the cause for this and your proposed fix. Note that you can copy-paste from the AiMod grid control.

The new difficulty system will likely be finalised before the end of the month as it is one of the prerequisites for a larger change which is soon to come. All feedback is appreciated.

I'll repeat for clarity: Difficulty Star calculations are not final. Some elements are still naive or need further adjustments. If you are going to criticise, please suggest alternatives and provide examples.

Full changelog:
SPOILER
(+) Special mode selection screen supports widescreen.
(+) Initial difficulty stars system implementation.
(+) BanchoBot gets a nice pink shade in in-game chat.
(+) AiMod selects related hitobjects where applicable.
(+) Added severity icons to AiMod.
(+) Added message about difficulty modding being in testing.
(+) Added AiMod difficulty rules: time between objects and streams.
(+) Added AiMod difficulty rule: spacing infringements.
(*) i265 (/me/np sent to self in PM).
(*) Slight reduction in osu!direct preview volume (ingame).
(*) Project cleanup and various fxcop rule fixes.
(*) Override spam check for admin users.
(*) Minor special mode select screen fixes.
(*) Increase maximum slider velocity to 3.6.
(*) General bancho optimisations and minor fixes (main).
(*) Further PrivilegeManager optimisations.
(*) Fixed textbox committing causing incorrect handling in some cases.
(*) Fixed song select jumping to weird places when it shouldn't.
(*) Fixed skip button not working properly after exiting the editor in design-mode (I304).
(*) Fixed osu!direct panel buttons not working correctly when many downloads are queued.
(*) Fixed multiplayer games starting prematurely with beatmaps with a leadin. (I306).
(*) Fixed mouse not reappearing early enough before break ends.
(*) Fixed i300 (Old URL for user links).
(*) Fixed i300 (Old URL for user links).
(*) Fixed i299 (half-second lag when switching chat tabs).
(*) Fixed i298 (Editor design tab breaks some storyboards).
(*) Fixed i294 (Global volume doesn't affect osu!direct preview).
(*) Fixed i292 (Starting multi match while someone is refreshing song).
(*) Fixed i289 (Highlight broken).
(*) Fixed i285 ("Jump to specific time" treats zeros in milliseconds incorrectly).
(*) Fixed i280 (Chat text moves after window resize).
(*) Fixed i273 (osu!direct + widescreen = cursor restricted).
(*) Fixed i272 (Widescreen + Taiko = graphic bug).
(*) Fixed i264 (Highlights don't save unless you press enter).
(*) Fixed i259 (Song filenames starting with numbers break the auto chat URL).
(*) Fixed i258 (Scoreboard shows ?? for #40).
(*) Fixed i252 (osu!direct alignment bug)
(*) Fixed i233 (Editor asks to save right after saving).
(*) Fixed hard crash in some rare incorrect skin.ini cases.
(*) Fixed for lead-in time on maps that take longer than normal to load.
(*) Fixed BAT members not automatically being admin.
(*) Fix threading bug with AiMod refreshing on map change.
(*) Fix out-of-range bug on map completion.
(*) Fix AIMod not closing when entering test mode.
(*) Fix #2 for i294 (osu!direct volume mismatch).
(*) Fix #2 for i214 (AltGr behaviour).
(*) Ensure osu! file associations are run during elevated privileges when installing.
(*) Changes to file escaping to allow better support for '$' character.
(*) Changed keyboard input handling to allow editor shortcuts to work while chat is being displayed.
(*) Bancho connection constant tweaks (improved connection reliability).
(*) AiMod variable adjustments.
(*) AiMod refresh.
(*) AiMod crash fix and minor modifications.
(*) AiMod bug fixes.
Kaya-_old
osu! don't work after update for me D:
System.NullReferenceException: В экземпляре объекта не задана ссылка на объект.
в #1d.#Oh.#yJ()
в System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
в System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
в System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
(Also:where can I check when my profile will be unbanned ?)
Topic Starter
peppy
@Uber1337: Should be fixed after you update again.
Kaya-_old

peppy wrote:

@Uber1337: Should be fixed after you update again.
Yay!
Works fine!
Mashley
Aimod is showing spinners as too close the previous spinner. Just thought I'd point that out~
Shinxyn
Stacks are now "difficulty" mistakes D:!
nvm, read it wrong :x
Topic Starter
peppy

Shinxyn wrote:

Stacks are now "difficulty" mistakes D:!
You are misunderstanding the purpose of the difficulty tab. Try reading the opening post of this thread, and if you still don't understand it ask in chat.
Natteke
CtB seems to be bugged? If you start to play any song, the game just closes down
DeathxShinigami

Natteke desu wrote:

CtB seems to be bugged? If you start to play any song, the game just closes down
Confirmed. I don't even recieve the standard osu! crash message ethier. Might just be a windows bug?
hoozimajiget

Natteke desu wrote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: osu!.exe
Application Version: 1.3.3.7
Application Timestamp: 4bcfc690
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdaae
Exception Code: e053534f
Exception Offset: 00009617
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105

that is the windows error report i get when starting CtB (not sure if its needed or not)
mikhe

Natteke desu wrote:

Peppy.. should fix this quickly ^^

-What happen with this stars??? """" Will you put it??

-And look: (Screen resolution 1024x600)
Ekaru
Just a few questions/suggestions.

1. Will just one violation result in an otherwise 100% Hard map being pushed to Expert due to a single jump that isn't too difficult in reality?

EX: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/6342 (I recommend checking without your headphones on)

2. Is part of the reason you guys came up with this not only to make the difficulty system better but also to maybe improve the quality/balance of ranked maps a bit? Just wonderin'.

3. Can you make it so that if a, say, 4-second-long spinner is 39 ms after a hit circle it doesn't trigger an Expert violation? Because that would be an exception to the 40-ms thing IMO.
EX: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/6542

4. I would consider making an Overall Difficulty of 8 or higher an Insane criteria. From my personal experience and from what I've seen, the jump from overall difficulty 7 to 8 is/was a hurdle for quite a few players. Doesn't really matter though, just my opinion.

Otherwise it's quite good and fair right now, I say. Good work!

EDIT: Except, once the spinner bug gets fixed, this bullshit will be considered a "Hard":

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/4080 (Check the Insane, it's quite crappy)

A 57-hit-object-long stream with all gaps being 1/4 apart at 150 BPM should maybe trigger an Insane, possibly Expert criteria?
PedroGabriel
when play ctb

osu! stopped working

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: osu!. Exe
Application Version: 1.3.3.7
Application Timestamp: 4bcfc690
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
Exception Code: e053534f
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Identification of Location: 1046

options:
Close the program
debug the program

the same error here >.<
miochan99
CtB crashes for me as well after the update. I don't play it often, so it doesn't really bother me, but it should be fixed.
aston_old
^ confirmed CtB crash over 5 times in a row.

perhaps its the maximum slider velocity increase?
ztrot
The judgement for notes after spinners is a bit to harsh Imo, possibly make it a bit more lax? all around? Map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15113
Example
00:24:231 Hard criteria: Note exists 329ms after spinner (less than 400ms). I really don't think that should be considered as hard, seeing as most easies use alot of spinners, and notes almost always come after the spinner on a 1/1 scale I know that is based on bpm but I thing the judgement is a bit to harsh atm.
Zekira
1. Will just one violation result in an otherwise 100% Hard map being pushed to Expert due to a single jump that isn't too difficult in reality?

I'd just like to confirm something in relation to this... http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14151 -- [Oni INSAAAAAAAAAANE] has 14 difficulty notes that involve non-stack streams, ah and the really fast stacks weren't counted to be a difficulty note, while [Muzukashii HAAAAAAAARD] only involve difficulty notes that are actually stacks, and yet is still considered Insane while Oni is only Expert. Also, Oni has a 9 for an OD. It's... weird? I've been wondering what the cause of the erratic star ratings on these maps were, and I never expected it to be the stacks and streams. Clarifications please? I'm getting more and more confused by the minute
Lybydose

Zekira wrote:

I'd just like to confirm something in relation to this... http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14151 -- [Oni INSAAAAAAAAAANE] has 14 difficulty notes that involve non-stack streams, ah and the really fast stacks weren't counted to be a difficulty note, while [Muzukashii HAAAAAAAARD] only involve difficulty notes that are actually stacks, and yet is still considered Insane while Oni is only Expert. Also, Oni has a 9 for an OD. It's... weird? I've been wondering what the cause of the erratic star ratings on these maps were, and I never expected it to be the stacks and streams. Clarifications please? I'm getting more and more confused by the minute
Expert is higher than Insane.
Zekira

Lybydose wrote:

Expert is higher than Insane.
Yeah I failed and figured that out just now, but it's still odd how Muzukashii is still getting rated higher

Meh w/e I'll see what I can do about it
Lybydose
Spacing violations are too strict for a couple reasons.

1. The "rule" for spacing in a combo is entirely determined by the distance between the first two notes. So, if the 1 and 2 are spaced slightly further than normal, but 2-10 follow a consistent distance, this will show up as 8 spacing violations in AIMod. It should instead show up as just one violation.

Example: 1-2-3 are jumps in this combo, but the rest of it is normally spaced. However, AIMod gives this like 9 distance errors because everything after 3 is "too close"

This may not necessarily even occur due to jumps; it could also happen due to one note being like 1-2 "level 3 grids" different for alignment or symmetry purposes, and it ends up causing the entire combo to be "wrong"

2. A lot of people like to intentionally give streams smaller distance spacing, but not actually stack them. When this happens, it causes AIMod to pick up difficulty increases for something that is actually easier.

Example: This stream intentionally has smaller spacing to make it easier to hit. Unfortunately, this causes like a million AIMod errors.

Had I spaced these out normally, AIMod would rate this as a lower difficulty, despite being much harder:

3. Doesn't take song length into account. A song with 40 "distance errors" over 3 minutes would probably play differently from a song with 39 "distance errors" over 30 seconds.

4. Particularly harsh on "accelerated spacing", "decelerated spacing", and "ztrot spacing", despite these things usually being pretty easy to pick up on and hit (well, for Hard or higher difficulty anyway). These things will give lots of errors. It should probably result in a difficulty increase past normal, but currently it gives so many errors that it essentially forces the map into Expert if you do this a couple times.

In addition, "notes after spinner" is generally too harsh as well because it doesn't take into account the length of a spinner. A note 1 beat away from a spinner might be really easy to hit if the spinner is long (>1 bar for example), or really hard to hit if it's like an auto +2000 spinner.

Deathstreams should also be rated higher. For example, this only comes out to "Insane" rather than "Expert." Wat.

Extra difficulty on this map is also a good example.
show more