forum

[Bancho] Reduce type of messages or give dedicated channel [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ph0X
I know the idea of getting rid of Banchobot is completely out of question, and I respect that, but as the community gets bigger, the number of achievements increase and the number of map increase, there will be more and more Bancho messages, and something has to be done.

I'm pretty sure in the past there's been these kinds of tweaks, but I think it might be time for another one.
My main suggestion was to give Banchobot his own dedicated channel where he does his announcements, but then again probably no one would ever take a look at it.

So now I'm just gonna list couple of things that are becoming redundant and I think aren't really useful at all.

<BanchoBot> Oh no! %player% has been pushed down to place #%rank%!
Doesn't it already show when someone moves up? So why do we have to also see people going down?

<BanchoBot> %MAP% has been played 30,000 times!
Showing the plays after every 10k? For every single map? It needs to be either lowered or just completely removed.

<BanchoBot> kgsky|osu was informed of the presence of #chinese.
I see what this is for, but I think it does more spamming than good. I know there was issues with the detection before, but nonetheless, it's something quite useless to spam every time.

Going through my IRC logs, from ~37.5k bancho messages (past 4months)
  1. Achievement Unlock: 59.99%
    1. 500 Combo: 15.65%
    2. S-Ranker: 11.56%
    3. 20,000 Fruits: 10.24%
    4. Pack achievements: 6.86%
    5. 750 Combo: 4.64%
  2. Achieved rank #1 on map: 20.61%

3. Map has been played x times: 5.83%

4. Has been informed of language: 5.20%
    (interestingly enough, 50% of those were #chinese)

5. Has moved up to place #: 3.44%
From what you can see, the main spam is by achievements, and we're getting more and more users everyday.
My suggestion would be of removing Bancho notification from couple of the easier achievements, but I could see you refusing that.
Gabi
imo the achievements are more of a personal thing than an online thing, so i think instead of displaying it for everyone, it could just be pm'd to you by bancho.

these should however still be visible

Achieved rank #1 on map
Map has been played x times
Has moved up to place

idk about this though

Has been informed of language: 5.20%
(interestingly enough, 50% of those were #chinese)
mm201
<BanchoBot> [username] has unlocked the 500 combo achievement!
<BanchoBot> [username] has unlocked the 750 combo achievement!
<BanchoBot> [username] has unlocked the 1000 combo achievement!
<BanchoBot> [username] has unlocked the Non-Stop Dancer achievement!

I would suggest adding a #banchobot channel, where achievement, map played xx times, and eventually challenge announcements would be placed. !search, !rank, !stats, !where, and other commands would also work for non-ops here. BanchoBot should continue to announce #1s, rank-ups for the top players (maybe reduce to 20), language warns, silences, new ranked maps, and other important stuff in #osu.
Ephemeral
Stick BB messages on a separate ticker or display - perhaps similar to how highlights are handled, but on the left side of the screen as opposed to the right?

The spam is getting quite annoying though, that I agree with.
Jarby

MetalMario201 wrote:

I would suggest adding a #banchobot channel, where achievement, map played xx times, and eventually challenge announcements would be placed. !search, !rank, !stats, !where, and other commands would also work for non-ops here. BanchoBot should continue to announce #1s, rank-ups for the top players (maybe reduce to 20), language warns, silences, new ranked maps, and other important stuff in #osu.
How many people would be interested in a seperate channel? It seems unnecessary to say the least.

Ephemeral wrote:

Stick BB messages on a separate ticker or display - perhaps similar to how highlights are handled, but on the left side of the screen as opposed to the right?
I like this. As long as it's not showing up in gameplay, of course.
anonymous_old
I'm fine with the notifications. Can you /ignore BanchoBot? Does that persist long enough to not be an annoying workaround?
CheeseWarlock
I find the achievement messages are mostly ignored, except for maybe a few "gratz ____" type of messages, which seem like mostly pointless banter to me. (Though that's what I think of replay comments too, so maybe I just hate friendly communication or something)

I like the "informed of the presence" ones, though; it makes BanchoBot feel more like a valued member of #osu who actually contributes to the content instead of just bringing up unrelated news.

Idea: Show achievements/rank-ups only for players who were recently active in the channel?
Shohei Ohtani
Would it be possible to just toggle banchobot's messages?~
Kitsunemimi

Ph0X wrote:

<BanchoBot> %MAP% has been played 30,000 times!
Showing the plays after every 10k? For every single map? It needs to be either lowered or just completely removed.
Agree

Ph0X wrote:

I see what this is for, but I think it does more spamming than good. I know there was issues with the detection before, but nonetheless, it's something quite useless to spam every time.
Agree

Gabi wrote:

imo the achievements are more of a personal thing than an online thing, so i think instead of displaying it for everyone, it could just be pm'd to you by bancho.
Agree

Ph0X wrote:

My main suggestion was to give Banchobot his own dedicated channel where he does his announcements
Disagree.
That would be so pointless. Unless there are people who just want to see how to get an achievement or they want to just look at people getting achievements. <.< But using the achievement announcements to find out how to get the 'Hush-Hush' achievement is sort of cheap, so I say we really shouldn't be having the channel.
awp
%user% has been informed of the presence of %language% should ideally only appear once per user. The rule that you only speak English in osu! has never changed so you shouldn't need more than one reminder/notification. imo it should start auto-silencing after that.
bmin11
The person who speaks other language in #osu! is probably new to this community and does not know the exist of their own language's channel. I basically agree to awp that it should be shown but only once or twice. This message actually helps alot you know
peppy
It does only display once?
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

It does only display once?
^

CDFA wrote:

Would it be possible to just toggle banchobot's messages?~
As I said, it's:
/ignore BanchoBot
Shohei Ohtani
If you ignore banchobot, will you still get important messages, such as announcements, silences, and other things?~
anonymous_old

CDFA wrote:

If you ignore banchobot, will you still get important messages, such as announcements, silences, and other things?~
Try it ...?
Topic Starter
Ph0X
Guy-kun
/ignore BanchoBot works, but doesnt actually do jack in-game
Shohei Ohtani
Derekku
Marked as [Added] for now, I suppose. o: