forum

[Editor] Layered Timeline [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
thepianist
Did a search and I'm pretty sure there isn't a topic for one...

This was just a random idea for the editor...

In maps such as Don't Say Lazy or StrangeProgram where there are tag difficulties, I thought it may be helpful to have a layered timeline not only to allow placement of beats at the same time but different locations, but also to help make spacing be more consistent. When polyphonic (ie multiple voiced as in Just Be Friends) music is involved, combos can be made consistent by mapping one combo to a voice, a second independent combo to another, and et cetera.

It's easier to demonstrate my point using sheet music (rather than a Photoshopped screenshot which horribly failed), so see below for images.
SPOILER
I don't have sheet music for popular music for a map - bear with me.

^ Sheet music --> Beatmap hitcircle placement.
Replace voices with players when played in TAG.

A horribly-made representation of how it may be implemented in the editor. Finale (music notation program) uses ctrl+shift 1, 2, 3, 4 to shift between voices. (Yes the timeline does not completely match with what's shown in the playfield.)

Although this will make the map unrankable for most (if not all) cases, I thought it may make multiplayer tag maps more fun (and provides an easier way for the mapper to map as so.)

I probably did not explain this too well... *watches request gets shot down.

Best wishes to all.
Derekku
A similar "multiple timeline" idea was requested before, but for a completely different feature.

Many changes would have to be made in gameplay to allow same-time clicked beats. This is a feature for tag which has already been requested many times and I don't believe that it's high-priority. Until that feature is added to tag, there really isn't a reason for improvements like this. (You're asking for additions to something that doesn't even exist)

This would be a great thing once changes are made to tag, though. :P
Topic Starter
thepianist

Derekku Chan wrote:

A similar "multiple timeline" idea was requested before, but for a completely different feature.

Many changes would have to be made in gameplay to allow same-time clicked beats. This is a feature for tag which has already been requested many times and I don't believe that it's high-priority. Until that feature is added to tag, there really isn't a reason for improvements like this. (You're asking for additions to something that doesn't even exist)

This would be a great thing once changes are made to tag, though. :P
Yeah I figured it'll involve too much work on peppy's side (and it'll be low priority.) :P

Anyways, it's an idea. ^^"
Shohei Ohtani
I'd been actually thinking of this a while ago. This would work extremely well for taiko ~