forum

Pokémon Black and White Versions: Generation V Revealed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
K2J
Bulbapedia article, referring to a reveal on the JP website.

I'm thinking there'll be a morality system of some kind. Remember how much we wanted to join Team Rocket at the end of the Nugget Bridge in the original games? Yeah...
Mogsy
I sure hope there isn't a moral choice system, because it's FAR too easy to fuck those up. In most cases, you find yourself polarized completely towards another side.

I'll say more about this once more information is released. I hope some of the newer Pokemon are less stupid than Zorua/Zoroark.
Azure_Kite
... interesting. Although I am surprised they aren't making these for the 3DS thingy.

I expect Rainbow version will debut on that, then.
Topic Starter
K2J
It might be like Gold and Silver were, where they were made for the monochrome GB but with GBC enhancements ("Type II" cartridge for fellow instruction manual nerds), though Crystal was strictly GBC-only. Perhaps Black and White will include enhancements for the 3DS as well as being compatible with the original DS models.
awp
Is this the version of Pokemon that's actually supposed to be different from Red/Blue?
Mashley
I-I don't know what to say, really...
Pokebis

awp wrote:

Is this the version of Pokemon that's actually supposed to be different from Red/Blue?
EVs and IVs were introduced in Generation III and little tweaks here and there have been throughout. The formula is always similar, but there are a lot more in-depth changes to the mechanics than you may think. And the main goal is pretty much guaranteed to be beat Elite Four, Catch 'Em All, Fuck Bitches, but there's always been little side stories in all of them. Saying each new Pokemon set is a carbon copy of the last unto Red and Blue is ignorant and silly. If you don't like the game in general or are sick of a similar formula just don't play it. If I really wanted too, I could use the same argument against the Disgaea series, which I know you like. The stories are always similar and they play the same way. I know you could go on and on about the changes that were made and the actual different story lines, but it's the same deal in pokemon. It's true in both cases each way.

tl;dr u rong bro stfu
awp
Actually I recall hearing someone quote one of the game's designers saying they're "re-inventing pokemon" which is why I'm actually curious. The whole "nothing new, so don't play" thing has been working for me thus far, thanks.
CheeseWarlock
I'll hold off on getting too excited, though I like the "back-to-basics" feel of the naming convention. Each entry to the series brings some improvements, but I would love to see some bigger changes this time around. I wouldn't have bought Heart Gold if I still had my Diamond.
Ekaru
You know what they really need to do?

Level scaling. I mean non-sucky level scaling. If you raise many Pokemon then the difficulty is well-balanced and fun. If you use one Pokemon then there is little variety and it's also a bit on the easy side of things. -_-;

That and add a few more badges, really. Also, promote the Battle Frontier more. It's really fun once you build a decent team and is the only part in-game that really requires actual brain cells since you can't just over level your butt off.

And a better story, please. Pt had the best story yet, but it still could be improved.

OH AND ADD MORE VARIETY TO THE GRUNTS' POKEMON IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

...the names are cool, at least.
Topic Starter
K2J
awp

Ekaru wrote:

If you use one Pokemon then there is little variety and it's also a bit on the easy side of things. -_-;
That is the problem in a 1v1 match. If you focus on training just one super powerful character you're going to be way ahead of the curve level-wise and will be able to muscle your way out of most battles. It's pretty much left to status ailments to bring you down at that point.
Mogsy

Ekaru wrote:

And a better story, please. Pt had the best story yet, but it still could be improved.
You're joking, right? Sinnoh had the worst story out of all of them. In fact, despite the formula improvements made, Sinnoh is hands-down my least favourite region. A shit story, a team that wanted world conquest for no adequately explored reason, Cyrus was vague to the point of not giving a shit, and the mud/snow routes trump any frustrations I may have had with Hoenn's water routes. It may be Hokkaido, but movement speed should not be hampered down that much to artificially lengthen the game.
despite being tacked on to Kanto, I say Johto finally maintained its own identity this generation with its own intriguing story and probably the best mythology out of the series

My other problem with this is legendaries. What the fuck are they going to do now that they've done Time, Space, and GOD?

Also, if anything, I'd like to see an upgrade in the enemy AI. They need to learn to anticipate switches and then you add in the AI used in the later stages of the Battle Frontier. Then maybe people will stop complaining about how easy the game is.
Pokebis

awp wrote:

That is the problem in a 1v1 match. If you focus on training just one super powerful character you're going to be way ahead of the curve level-wise and will be able to muscle your way out of most battles. It's pretty much left to status ailments to bring you down at that point.
Focus Sash + Endeavor + Quick Attack
MMzz

K2J wrote:

Scans.
Look how tall you ARE! o:
Topic Starter
K2J

Mogsworth wrote:

despite being tacked on to Kanto, I say Johto finally maintained its own identity this generation with its own intriguing story and probably the best mythology out of the series
Don't know why this is strikethroughed, but I agree. It had the best balance of a villanous team, legendary Pokémon, and becoming the best trainer. Unlike Gens III and IV, where the first two combined to overshadow the third, the main goal of Gold and Silver remained as getting all the badges and becoming the best trainer ever.

My other problem with this is legendaries. What the fuck are they going to do now that they've done Time, Space, and GOD?
Remember how Mew was supposed to be the ancestor of all Pokémon due to the fact that it learned absolutely everything? They could retcon Arceus or something. Or move in a more allegorical direction like they were with the Lake Trio.

Also, if anything, I'd like to see an upgrade in the enemy AI. They need to learn to anticipate switches and then you add in the AI used in the later stages of the Battle Frontier. Then maybe people will stop complaining about how easy the game is.
People complain how easy Pokémon games are? They're games for children. Next they'll be complaining that Mario doesn't have enough swearing. If you want a challenge, the offshoot games (Colosseum and XD) and the Battle Frontier are there for you.
Mogsy

K2J wrote:

People complain how easy Pokémon games are? They're games for children. Next they'll be complaining that Mario doesn't have enough swearing. If you want a challenge, the offshoot games (Colosseum and XD) and the Battle Frontier are there for you.
The whole 'kiddy game' thing is what's pissing me off, honestly. There's a difference between being kid-friendly and then just being downright stupidly easy, which D/P/Pt were. Besides, they need to more frequently advertise the Battle Frontier. The challenge I experienced in Colosseum/XD was minimal, too, besides for the later stages of the Colosseums.

The complaints about the AI are also highly reasonable, too. Like, why would the enemy NOT use a super-effective STAB attack in an instance where a KO would be imminent if that occurs? (Like a Fearow not using Drill Peck against my Meganium, but instead using ROOST.) Not to mention improper usage of stat-boosting moves (like Luvdisc using Agility).

As far as the mythos is concerned, the retcon clarifications would be nice, but I'm feeling like they need to just do something else that's awesome while not one-upping MOTHERFUCKING GOD.
mm201
Those screenshots look like crap. They haven't truly done anything to improve the visual quality of the games, just use off-the-wall, crazy camera angles and a POLAR COORDINATES CITY ZOMG! to try and look cool. It looks fake, desperate, and lame.

Likewise, the topsy-turvy roads in the hometown show they're trying too hard to make it not look like they're using a grid system. Honestly, what's wrong with a grid system anyway?

Mogsworth wrote:

In fact, despite the formula improvements made, Sinnoh is hands-down my least favourite region.
I'm sticking with Hoenn. The whole plasticky, fake feel of the region, plus the endless sea of Tentacool and Wingull trumps any minor mobility annoyances.

Mogsworth wrote:

a team that wanted world conquest for no adequately explored reason
Obviously Cyrus was manipulating them to reach his delusional goals of restarting the universe. The rest of the team was like "for the betterment of mankind, but we have no effing clue how Cyrus is getting us there."

Mogsworth wrote:

Cyrus was vague to the point of not giving a shit
This ought to have been expanded on. For instance, more on his backstory than just what was said by that one lady from Sunyshore.

Mogsworth wrote:

and the mud/snow routes trump any frustrations I may have had with Hoenn's water routes.
It was improved greatly in Platinum where you can actually see which patches stop you. Platinum fixed many of the flaws of D/P, including the achingly slow battle scenes. In many ways, D/P weren't ready for release, but they had already been in development for years, and holding them back any further would have been a big mistake. Play Platinum if these annoyances are getting to you.

awp wrote:

Actually I recall hearing someone quote one of the game's designers saying they're "re-inventing pokemon" which is why I'm actually curious.
I heard this too. I'm sure they'll find many areas for improvement while leaving the core essentials intact. But if you hate Pokémon for always being the same damn thing, eg. turn-based battles, 4 moves, sprite art, stop following this now and prepare for your disappointment.

Ekaru wrote:

You know what they really need to do?

Level scaling. I mean non-sucky level scaling. If you raise many Pokemon then the difficulty is well-balanced and fun. If you use one Pokemon then there is little variety and it's also a bit on the easy side of things. -_-;
Perhaps if Pokémon from your own OT became disobedient at around 10 levels above the threshold for traded Pokémon, and if they became more likely to disobey during trainer battles.

Mogsworth wrote:

The whole 'kiddy game' thing is what's pissing me off, honestly. There's a difference between being kid-friendly and then just being downright stupidly easy, which D/P/Pt were.
You'd be surprised. My nephew, 7, couldn't get through Paper Mario without my help. There should always be an easy mode available for the kids, but something better for those of us with brain cells. Competitive (or at least Battle Tower quality) sets, Battle Tower AI on important trainers, an AI that actually switches, and a steeper level curve would all go a long way.

Mogsworth wrote:

but I'm feeling like they need to just do something else that's awesome while not one-upping MOTHERFUCKING GOD.
Agreed. This sense of one-upmanship developing in the series is the real problem. Each game insists on being bigger, better, and badder than the last, which is a dead end route. You reach the top, as they have with Arceus. Now what?

If instead of trying to outdo something else, they'd focus more on making a good quality game, the series would stay fresh and be more enjoyable.
Pasonia
/me wants a Pokemon game that adults could enjoy without feeling the guilt of being called kiddy.

/me runs.
Mogsy

MetalMario201 wrote:

I'm sticking with Hoenn. The whole plasticky, fake feel of the region, plus the endless sea of Tentacool and Wingull trumps any minor mobility annoyances.
If you're going to make a region out of this area of Japan, the water routes would be inevitable. Not to mention the fact that Hoenn felt a lot like a real region to me, since not every city in the world has a gigantic purpose nor does every city have some sort of ridiculous out-of-place sight (I personally found the Mahogany Gym to be out of place, since it's such a rural town).

MetalMario201 wrote:

Obviously Cyrus was manipulating them to reach his delusional goals of restarting the universe. The rest of the team was like "for the betterment of mankind, but we have no effing clue how Cyrus is getting us there."

MetalMario201 wrote:

This ought to have been expanded on. For instance, more on his backstory than just what was said by that one lady from Sunyshore.
The vagueness of it all just kept me from caring, and the lack of a genuine backstory for most Pokemon villains just gets me to stop caring about the story. Maybe if they just spent more time doing proper storytelling (Pokemon is capable of doing this, look at the Gamecube titles), then it wouldn't suck.

MetalMario201 wrote:

It was improved greatly in Platinum where you can actually see which patches stop you. Platinum fixed many of the flaws of D/P, including the achingly slow battle scenes. In many ways, D/P weren't ready for release, but they had already been in development for years, and holding them back any further would have been a big mistake. Play Platinum if these annoyances are getting to you.
I do play Platinum, and while the changes are nice/welcome, I must say that the snow/mud routes are still absolutely irritating. Even in Platinum I felt like they were just merely wasting our time. At least the roundabout-ness of Sinnoh was also fixed in Platinum, with you being able to defeat Fantina right away (you still have to trudge through the middle of the map more times than I would like, but it's the whole Saffron City Syndrome that's present in most Pokemon titles).

MetalMario201 wrote:

You'd be surprised. My nephew, 7, couldn't get through Paper Mario without my help. There should always be an easy mode available for the kids, but something better for those of us with brain cells. Competitive (or at least Battle Tower quality) sets, Battle Tower AI on important trainers, an AI that actually switches, and a steeper level curve would all go a long way.
I definitely want to see multiple difficulty levels in a Pokemon title. That should help remove some of the 'kiddy game' stigma it has (since most do not check out the Battle Frontier).

MetalMario201 wrote:

Agreed. This sense of one-upmanship developing in the series is the real problem. Each game insists on being bigger, better, and badder than the last, which is a dead end route. You reach the top, as they have with Arceus. Now what?

If instead of trying to outdo something else, they'd focus more on making a good quality game, the series would stay fresh and be more enjoyable.
Agreed and agreed. This is where the refining of Pokemon's mythology should take place story-wise, and the quality of the game should not be compromised to achieve the good story that we so desire. Yet again, I will mention the Gamecube titles as something the portable titles should learn from, because the game had a compelling story with fun gameplay. If they could do something like that while still maintaining the gym-badge-collection and actual-wild-Pokemon-catching traditions of old, then they've got a winner.

Pasonia wrote:

/me wants a Pokemon game that adults could enjoy without feeling the guilt of being called kiddy.
If you truly enjoy a game, those comments shouldn't get to you. Sure, it has a certain social 'stigma' most places, but I proudly play Pokemon.
Rolled
I have barely read any of this flame-war. Just saying that I personally did not enjoy any pokemon game after ruby, maybe. Could possibly be because I got older, could possibly be because the story is stale. Regardless of the story though, the competitive part of pokemon will always be there and I don't see myself stopping pokemon any time soon for that reason alone.
Zekira
Regardless of the story though, the competitive part of pokemon will always be there and I don't see myself stopping pokemon any time soon for that reason alone.
This.
Mogsy

Rolled wrote:

I have barely read any of this flame-war. Just saying that I personally did not enjoy any pokemon game after ruby, maybe. Could possibly be because I got older, could possibly be because the story is stale. Regardless of the story though, the competitive part of pokemon will always be there and I don't see myself stopping pokemon any time soon for that reason alone.
Not really a flame war as much as there is a lot of TL;DR.

Competitive Pokemon is really the only reason to go back for me IMO, since that actually gives me the satisfaction of playing against those with some semblance of intellect.
Powerdrone

K2J wrote:

Bulbapedia article, referring to a reveal on the JP website.

I'm thinking there'll be a morality system of some kind. Remember how much we wanted to join Team Rocket at the end of the Nugget Bridge in the original games? Yeah...
I WANTED TO JOIN TEAM ROCKET SO BADLY I MUST HAVE HIT YES AT LEAST FIVE TIMES IN A ROW BEFORE I GAVE UP I WAS SO ANGGGGRRRRYYY!

XD

But yeah, excited to see what changes in Black/White. Still haven't beaten HG though, I've kind of gotten bored already. =/
James
OT: how many pokemon are there in total now? last time i played it was.... 150.
NoHitter
YGOkid8
500, how nice. Just going to say that by far, Gold/Silver/Crystal was the best for me (haven't played HG/SS yet). 16 badges + 2 regions = win. Could have been better, but eh, still liked it the most.

Also, Pasonia wrote:

^ this

EDIT: Off-Topic - #666th post :o
NoHitter
I hope the names of the characters won't be Black or White....

/me looks at Red, Blue, Gold and Silver...
Topic Starter
K2J
No no, they'll be names like Brendan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Ethan, Lyra... only the manga has really kept the Generation II tradition of naming after the version names.

You can go ahead and call them Black and White if you want, though. I know I still call Ethan by his original name.
mm201

Rolled wrote:

I have barely read any of this flame-war.
Moreso me and Mogs co-operatively flaming Gamefreak for their old habits that won't die.
Azure_Kite

NoHItter wrote:

I hope the names of the characters won't be Black or White....

/me looks at Red, Blue, Gold and Silver...
I had a Version Ruby with the character named Ruby. Gosh I'm so original.
Topic Starter
K2J
That's at least better than all the people who are naming themselves Ash on the Global Terminal.
Azure_Kite

K2J wrote:

That's at least better than all the people who are naming themselves Ash on the Global Terminal.
I don't-; I can't-; What the Hell.

I would have made a new game/name ages ago if it weren't for the fact I had 321 pokemon caught in it.

By the way, does anyone name their boxes 1-30, 31-60 etc. and try to catch one of every pokemon to fill them? That's kinda how I had my Ruby version and trying with Platinum. Fun fun.
YGOkid8

Azure_Kyte wrote:

By the way, does anyone name their boxes 1-30, 31-60 etc. and try to catch one of every pokemon to fill them? That's kinda how I had my Ruby version and trying with Platinum. Fun fun.
I kinda do that, except some have variations and that, for the different types of Pokemon...
eg. There are 2 different types of Shellos, so there would be 2 Shelloses instead of 1
NoHitter

YGOkid8 wrote:

eg. There are 2 different types of Shellos, so there would be 2 Shelloses instead of 1
fffff-

Unown
YGOkid8

NoHItter wrote:

Unown
and I had a box called Unown, just for Unowns :)
NoHitter

YGOkid8 wrote:

Stop copying my idea >.>
Mogsy

NoHItter wrote:

YGOkid8 wrote:

Stop copying my idea >.>
Not an original idea.
RemmyX25

YGOkid8 wrote:

NoHItter wrote:

Unown
Topic Starter
K2J

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Oh, a Living Pokédex? Sheesh, I don't even have time to fill out the regular Pokédex (450ish / 493 at the moment).
Zekira
Actually, I name boxes starting from the last one down to the first one. The last one, I name somethig like 'Collect', the 2nd to last one 'Dittos'. Then the proceeding ones would be named like 'COMPETE1', 'COMPETE2', etc. and I'll just add boxes when I get more competitive Pokémon to use. ACtually I have one box, it's called 'NATRA', which is dedicated to my 5 Gym Teams back when I was a GL in pkmn-ph.com . Pokémon in my box are arranged left to right in the order of how they're lined up in a party, so every row consists of one team. Pretty easy to remember, really. When I just want to use a duplicate Pokémon from another team, I just leave the slot blank.
mm201
This thread's gone sooh off-topic.

I lay out the first several boxes by type and fill them with random caught Pokémon I might want to keep for whatever purposes.

I also keep a box for Synchronize with one Abra/Ralts line member for each Nature. I have several trading stock boxes containing pokes with egg moves, one box for breeding parents, several filled with chained shinies, one containing unique shinies, one for ingame slaves and my play-through-the-game team, and one containing a pool of competitively ready Pokémon.

I sort each box by level.
Pokebis

MetalMario201 wrote:

There's not much new info on the games so there's not much to talk about.
And I sort by type.
Topic Starter
K2J
I used to sort by type but it took too long on the Gen III games where I tried, so I've gotten into the habit of just sorting by when I got them (along with an "incoming" box, a box for my team/ones I use frequently, perhaps a box for legendaries, a box for "guests"/GTS trades, and a box for Unown). My naming scheme changes, though. In Diamond, I went by Greek letters (and some phonetic alphabet letters), but in HeartGold I've taken to naming them after the towns/areas in Kanto (PALLET for the incoming box, then VERIDIAN, PEWTER...).

Though I did get a strange urge to sort my bag last night. Now at least my medicine pocket is all in order.
Azure_Kite

K2J wrote:

Oh, a Living Pokédex
So it has a name? yeah, that. "Waste of time and box space"? they give you enough boxes to do it, and usually leave you 1 1/2 boxes left over to fill with whatever battling pokemon you want to use.
Powerdrone

Pokebis wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

There's not much new info on the games so there's not much to talk about.
And I sort by type.
I sort by type as well. I also change the wallpaper to match the type of the box. :3
Gabi
picture from the game

Mogsy

Azure_Kyte wrote:

K2J wrote:

Oh, a Living Pokédex
So it has a name? yeah, that. "Waste of time and box space"? they give you enough boxes to do it, and usually leave you 1 1/2 boxes left over to fill with whatever battling pokemon you want to use.
That's nowhere near enough space for my battle-ready Pokemon. Then again, I do have somewhere around 7 boxes filled with fully-EV trained/beneficial nature/good IV Pokemon of varying movesets.
Azure_Kite
Dear...God.

How long have you spent EV training them?
Zekira
7 boxes is kinda only half of what you'll usually have if you've been in competitive battling for 5 years, actually. Actually I only have around 11 boxes atm
show more